Premium Format Obi-Wan, Medicom ROTS Vader reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
There's all Star Wars tonight at MROTW, but it's all expensive Star Wars. First up is my review of the Premium Format Obi-Wan Kenobi from Sideshow. I've heard nothing but good things so far from people receiving theirs, so I wasn't surprised by the exceptional quality. The head sculpt and paint are fantastic...but I still did have a couple issues with it that held it back from the elusive four stars. He goes great with Vader, but the big bad dude is still my favorite of the quarter scale Star Wars figures from Sideshow.

Jeff Parker checks in with a guest review of the Medicom Darth Vader from Revenge of the Sith. This slighty variation on the Medicom Vader I reviewed a few months ago is well worth a look. You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

A lot of it I agree with you on Mike. Totally disagree on the outfit. IMO that might be about as off of anything I've seen you rank. Overall, I'd have to give this a 4 star figure but I agree with you pretty much on everything else.

I have to agree with jlcmsu on this one. I agreed with almost everything on the sculpt (including foot placement) and paint but disagree with the nitpicking on the costuming and lightsaber. I have no issues with the robe or the way the hood rests over the head although I also had problems with the hood initially. I did slightly adjust the position of the robe to rest higher on the shoulders towards the front and now the hood looks perfect over Obi's head and doesn't move. Also, there is a notch in the lightsaber handle and a cut out on the blade to line up and they pop into place just fine. Granted it still looked a little off but I adjusted that and now it is as straight as can be and looks terriffic.

I would have to say this is four stars all the way for me!

Glad to hear your lightsaber pops in - mine does not. I don't review the figure you got, I review the one I got. :) The fact that it does not pop in, and has a lot of trouble staying lit, means it wasn't going to get four stars.

I'm surprised folks love the costume quite this much - it's nice, but be honest, it's not much. It's not difficult to get a black shirt, tan pants, tan shirt and basic robe right. Also, Luke's robe is much nicer than Obi-wans, something I wasn't expecting. I'm not talking about the fact that he was just a poor old man living in the desert, I'm talking about overall feel and quality. You might like those fraying ends now, but you may not feel quite so fond of them in a few years.

All in all though, a better PF than Han or Luke. He just isn't quite the level of quality of Vader, but he's close.

What's with Obi-Wan's lightsaber hilt not painted all the way?

Michael Crawford said:
Glad to hear your lightsaber pops in - mine does not. I don't review the figure you got, I review the one I got. :) The fact that it does not pop in, and has a lot of trouble staying lit, means it wasn't going to get four stars.

I'm surprised folks love the costume quite this much - it's nice, but be honest, it's not much. It's not difficult to get a black shirt, tan pants, tan shirt and basic robe right. Also, Luke's robe is much nicer than Obi-wans, something I wasn't expecting. I'm not talking about the fact that he was just a poor old man living in the desert, I'm talking about overall feel and quality. You might like those fraying ends now, but you may not feel quite so fond of them in a few years.

All in all though, a better PF than Han or Luke. He just isn't quite the level of quality of Vader, but he's close.

I somewhat agree. I wouldn't give the 1/4 Ben four stars either...it's easily a five star piece (even with my two EXTREMELY minor issue's) with Vader being 5¼. The saber connection is a tad bit awkward since it does not line up perfectly, but it is insignificant and not noticable up close. The lightsaber works magnificently. As for getting Ben's robe "right" not being too hard, that may be, but no other company has even come close to matching what SS has accomplished. SS has managed to perfectly capture the look of what was shown on screen like no other company has. Also, collector's really don't have to worry about it "fraying" any more than it is now unless they plan to play with it; and, be honest, we know that's not what the PF's are for. Get an acrylic case, a glass cabinet, or something else to protect this bad boy, and call it a day. :)

Michael Crawford said:

It feels like it came straight out of SW thought that's why so many like it. It shouldn't be much since he was a freaking hermit. If he had a brand new robe that looked more than what it does I'd be a little upset. I think they both feel of the same high quality. Maybe your gonna be playing with yours so the frayed ends will come into play but mine will just be a display piece.

Mini-Rock said:
I somewhat agree. I wouldn't give the 1/4 Ben four stars either...it's easily a five star piece (even with my two EXTREMELY minor issue's) with Vader being 5¼.

Well, I generally don't give more than four stars on a four star scale. But hey, that's just me.

It so hard to find a "great" figure, or a perfect one. There will always be some issues. But Obi-Wan to me is another A+++ figure, just as 1/4 Vader is. My only problem with Obi Wan is I thought his ears were too big. But other than that perfect. And thats hard to come by. Very hard. Everyone who worked on Obi-Wan should start poping the Champagne bottles, they deserve it.

Kenobi is easily the best Star Wars 1/4 released IMO.

I am very picky and LOVE Kenobi, including the outfit.

Great job Sideshow.

Old Ben is great. Love him with the Vader - the two make a great combo. Ok, the only issue that scared me was his hood. As M.C. pointed out in his review, there is no wire for the front portion to help pose - the pics on his review really show what a pain it can be to make it look good, but with some effort, it will look just like it does in the movie. It took me a day of fiddling, but with the right fold here and there, it'll look nice.

Mini-Rock said:
Also, collector's really don't have to worry about it "fraying" any more than it is now unless they plan to play with it; and, be honest, we know that's not what the PF's are for. Get an acrylic case, a glass cabinet, or something else to protect this bad boy, and call it a day. :)

Exactly. This isn't a toy. There is no chance of fraying if you don't touch it. The outfit is easily the best one produced so far, IMO.

My hood looks perfect, and I'd be quite upset with a with a hemmed robe and a wire hood. Kenobi's hood in the film is flapping all over the place. It isn't supposed to be perfect.

Also, there is no need to steam the robe. The more wrinkles it has, the better/more accurate it looks.

Oh hell no! Steam the robe? It'd be one thing if it came off, but it would have to be done with the robe still on Ben; so, there would be a potential for ruining the paint on the face, wouldn't there? Uh-uh, NO WAY I'd risk that.

Uh, no. Steam isn't going to run the paint, unless you manage to find a way to super heat it.

The robe looks a million times better without the huge packing wrinkles. There's nothing about them that looks good to me - Ben didn't have a big 3 foot wrinkle running up the back of his robe. These wrinkles aren't in scale...and on top of it, his robe wasn't any more wrinkled in the movie than Vader's, Luke's or any other Jedi.

But hey, you like the wrinkles, you keep the wrinkles.

Thanks Michael. That is good to know. Also, post pics of your "wrinkle free" Ben. I know I'm not the only one who would like to see the difference. :)

The de-wrinkling was predominately for the lower cloak - and the pants underneath, which had gotten hiked up and wrinkled heavily in the package. It's hard to see because of the shadowing, but he's got plenty of wrinkles in the cloak from the waist down here:

review_pfobi_3.jpg

And doesn't here:

review_pfobi_5.jpg

Wrinkles where cloth should wrinkle are fine - like on the arms around the elbows and wrists. Wrinkles in a free flowing garment though just don't look right to me.

That's cool Mike. Gotta say he should have some wrinkles in the free flowing areas especially if he is living his life as a hermit. To each their own though I guess I just feel that the way my Ben came out of the box represents the movie better than just from the dry cleaners Ben.:lol

In that second picture does the lightsaber just look like its a little crooked due to angle, is it supposed to be that way, or is that what you were talking about with it being hard to get right?

For the ROTS MEdi-Vader, I know it's a small detail, but with everything else they did right, I'm a little annoyed that the mask doesn't have the deep flared neck that the ROTS helmet sports.

Love the new hands though.

Back