Predator 5 - Prey (2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An older news entry on AVP Galaxy:

"NEW 21-Nov-20: As Predator 5 was announced, the story is rumoured to be set in the past. It will focus around Native Americans before the territories were taken by the American settlers, featuring a First Nations cast. The Predator series has explored Native American culture in the past, most notably within the comic and novelisation Predator: Big Game, the second of Dark Horse’s Predator series."

Could be good. Nothing against a gender-swapped Big Game, I just hope the film spends less time talking about the protagonist going against norms and more time just letting her be the warrior character.

This example's been beaten to death, but look at Ripley. She went from survivor to badass to martyr and never once stopped to ask the audience to pat her on the back for doing so.

Will watch. Because it's a Predator movie. But last time I tried to watch The Predator I just couldn't get past the loonies on the bus scene.

Hopefully it?s decent

I really hate to be pessimistic but I feel like we've all been saying that and it hasn't been; Whether it's Terminator, Predator, or other beloved franchises, it's just been drivel. But I'm with you, hopefully it's decent.

I don't care what genders the cast are so long as it isn't forced drivel. If they're going with a female lead however, I hope they are inspired more by Ripley or Anderson from Dredd rather than Rey "Skywalker" (Erggh) or Captain Marvel. Both of those characters showed a clear development under tough circumstances and became actual role models for every daughter old enough to watch and appreciate them, unlike many modern day movies whom try so hard to force that respect without actually writing a script that earns it. I'm not convinced that native Americans will offer a fantastic setting, but maybe they do have a few good ideas that will fit that theme. I'll be cautiously optimistic for now, if we put the main Star wars sequel trilogy aside, Disney do know how to make good movies.

The Comanche warrior needs to stow aboard the predator ship and get transported to their homeworld, where she becomes a respected and high ranking warrior by helping the predators fight off an adversarial contingent we've not yet encountered before. It is a typical and well used trope. But it is effective...

Big claims, let's hope it's the case. I seem to remember Mr Black telling us all about how the last one was going to be a big event, more than just a movie. Turns out it was just a really bad movie :sneaky:

Big claims, let's hope it's the case. I seem to remember Mr Black telling us all about how the last one was going to be a big event, more than just a movie. Turns out it was just a really bad movie :sneaky:
This is already dead in the water for me.

I’m at the point where I’ve been burned by so many empty promises every new Predator movie that I’m just here for the toys.

I’ll never watch the last movie ever again but I’m still in for a Fugitive figure:dunno

That article suggests that the protagonist being female this time and 'going against the gender norms to be a warrior' is innovative and what is needed to make a good predator sequel.

Newsflash Hollywood, AVP had a female protagonist already, can't they remember that far back (admittedly she was awful). The AVP Dark Horse comics and novels had Machiko as the lead character, why don't they put her on the screen (they could score double diversity points with her and fans of the books / comics may even be interested)? This tired movie trope has already been done so many times and perfectly, just look at the Alien trilogy - I don't need to see it again and not done as well. Come on let's have some fresh ideas.

The only good / interesting sequel is Predator 2 and that's because it had interesting characters, good actors and explored the Predator lore respectfully. It also created its own vibe and the concrete jungle was a worthy successor to Predator.

An all-new entry in the Predator franchise, “Prey” is set in the world of the Comanche Nation 300 years ago. See the original film directed by Dan Trachtenberg (“The Boys,” “10 Cloverfield Lane”) only on Hulu in 2022.

256405109_1716649211860163_9118577094675035872_n.png

257111913_1716649241860160_7814058518416975007_n.jpg

A female Indian will challenge the Predator.

Come on, you know you always wanted to see that. I remember thinking back in 1987, why couldn't the commandos -- Earth's best modern warriors -- instead be Native Americans?

PREY... or "Chases with Wolves"

Come on, you know you always wanted to see that. I remember thinking back in 1987, why couldn't the commandos -- Earth's best modern warriors -- instead be Native Americans?
I've always wanted to see the Predator formula transplanted into different time periods and places. It's more interesting than doing a retread of the first film and less insulting than remixing/subverting the premise itself. Despite its flaws, Predator 2 knew what to keep the same and what to change. I can't say the same for the films that came after.

The basic premise of this (and the premise being basic is a positive here) feels promising. Hopefully the filmmakers resist the urge to muck it up by throwing in too many of their own ideas.

Back