Predator 2 City Hunter - Prime 1

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No that's the new prime1 and the left is the film suit.

Wrong.
25c8969d64108ab41064b8e5082c9be3.jpg

You have been misled
ce1a02800007948406dd0a3c7b18e2c5.jpg

Ah I see, I'm not on there. I simply took the post above mine and did a side by side. I'm not on that page on fb.

Oddly enough, the lack of a wash on the forehead doesn't bug me. There isn't much of a wash (if any) on the prop. Biggest offender would be the far-too-prominent veins and the complete lack of shading on the lower mandibles.

now that I'm seeing this up close, I think it looks quite bad with the finish. I know this is a repaint, but the mandibles aren't even flush and look like a complete add on. Unfortunately, it looks like the IS demolishes the Prime.

I'm seriously considering canceling this now, but I really hate the idea of getting another IS version. The unboxing was dreadful. I don't know if a repaint would be worth it on this one. It would be quite expensive to have done as well. Damn, damn.

I'm seriously considering canceling this now

Would you have to eat the deposit?

I don't know if a repaint would be worth it on this one. It would be quite expensive to have done as well.

Forgive me, but is there really that much to repaint on this? I'm not defending Prime 1 (or putting down Infinity for that matter), but if your aim is to merely take this piece to the Infinity's level, it doesn't seem like a massive step.

The head work is a cinch. Couple hours to touch up the mandibles, minimize the veins, and you're there. Washing and drybrushing are incredibly easy as long as you keep your layers light. Forgiving too, due to the water dilution. You can wipe what you don't like if you make a mistake.

As for the body paint, Prime 1 boasts better spotting and deeper reds while Infinity has nicer stripe shapes (and more of them) to fill out the legs. In my humble opinion, netting removal and the need for actual airbrush skill make this the most tedious and expensive job, but it may not be an area you're concerned about.

IS:
attachment.php

P1:
174789970_914919725972807_4144719883592096642_n.jpg

IS:
attachment.php

P1:
174489355_914919609306152_6915651356620100847_n.jpg

Credit to Unknown Hero for the Infinity pics, just grabbed them off the dedicated thread.

I guess we're holding Prime 1 to higher standards than others looking at some of the comments, and that's okay. We all knew coming in that the unmasked head was the weak point of this one. But it's still not that bad tbh. In fact I think it's alright all things considered. That "repainted" one basically just has a wash on it that any monkey could apply if you wish to. I've said all along that the Infinity statue has a better unmasked head (with production paint at a similar level to this) But the masked head on that isn't even close. This one isn't perfect, but it is far more accurate. So the heads are one a piece if we're keeping count, I just happen to prefer masked heads on my statues so this way works for me. In terms of the rest of this, I think it looks really good. I like the Infinity also, but I still prefer this over all and I'm very happy to see that it is also 1/4. That was my biggest worry coming in. Other than the potential shipping price increase which may still happen of course. Is this perfect? Of course not, but it looks like a pretty solid statue to me. Unless ECC makes some Predator statues, I doubt we'll ever see better from a factory produced piece. I look forwards to receiving mine.

I pretty much agree 110% with everything you said Python. Unmasked Infinity sculpt destroys Prime 1's, with the masked head being the other way round. Paint wise, i think this is obviously a lot better than Infinities.

The paint and QC is why I eventually went with Prime 1. If Infinities had Prime 1's level of paintjob, this wouldn't even be a contest outside of the better biomask.

Paint job on p1 is way better, the cream white lines on the IS is very odd. The body paint is also better on p1. But then there is the sculpt on the unmasked, IS is better. But also the netting, I went back and forth with p1 giving them measurements on the accurate netting size because their tusk predator had hot topic arm warmers on its chest haha. So as good as the netting is on p1 ( good sign for the jungle hunter) the IS is more accurate because the City Hunter had grey netting not black. I think honestly it's a tie. Depends on what pose and concept you like more at this point.

Looking forward to this.
A light drybrush of grey on the netting, some drybrushing and washes here and there and it will look tops.

But so SOOOOOOOO worth it :)

(* plus you were the only person I heard of that had that assembly issue - so hopefully you wouldn't get a repeat of that *)​

yea, that's true. I think it will be a long time before either of these go up high in price, so we shall see. I think I gotta see this one in person to really judge it. This would look mighty nice getting Dunaway to fix it up.

Would you have to eat the deposit?

Forgive me, but is there really that much to repaint on this? I'm not defending Prime 1 (or putting down Infinity for that matter), but if your aim is to merely take this piece to the Infinity's level, it doesn't seem like a massive step.

The head work is a cinch. Couple hours to touch up the mandibles, minimize the veins, and you're there. Washing and drybrushing are incredibly easy as long as you keep your layers light. Forgiving too, due to the water dilution. You can wipe what you don't like if you make a mistake.

As for the body paint, Prime 1 boasts better spotting and deeper reds while Infinity has nicer stripe shapes (and more of them) to fill out the legs. In my humble opinion, netting removal and the need for actual airbrush skill make this the most tedious and expensive job, but it may not be an area you're concerned about.

Credit to Unknown Hero for the Infinity pics, just grabbed them off the dedicated thread.

I think I would have to eat the deposit because I have the Ex on order with Prime. If the Ex sells out sometime soon, I guess I will keep it and hope I like it in person, but I imagine I would want a repaint either way. IS just has much better details on their version. The dread rings and even the collar are better. Only positives I see for Prime is the compact size and the Bio shape over IS. Still a very good price from Prime, but shipping could be a killer as well.

I think it's friggin' great to see everyone on the forums appreciating what we have - 2 stellar representations of a character that has never before been produced at this level of quality.

So yay US !!!!! :clap :D

The sculpts & QC are off the charts, and I don't care WHICH people prefer . . . but I do wish PRIME1 and Infinity Studios had been around before Sadshow got their mits on the franchise :wink1:

I think it's friggin' great to see everyone on the forums appreciating what we have - 2 stellar representations of a character that has never before been produced at this level of quality.

Definitely spot on. Despite what gripes people have about this peice or Infinities, both are stellar peices and are welcome into any diehard predator fans collection. If i had room for both, I'd own both no questions ask.

Also, having competition between statue companies is absolutely awesome and hasnt been seen in a long long time (if ever) when it comes to the Predator franchise. Without a rival producing stuff to a high standard that competes with yours, you get lazy and put out trash pieces because you basically have monopoly on the franchise. *cough* sadshow *cough*

Hopefully with both bringing out awesome Predator pieces, the bar keeps getting higher and higher. Awesome work from both companies

If Queen Studios could get these licenses, whew, we'd truly be in an Alien and Predator renaissance.

The sculpts & QC are off the charts, and I don't care WHICH people prefer . . . but I do wish PRIME1 and Infinity Studios had been around before Sadshow got their mits on the franchise :wink1:

Good post and I echo the same sentiment. From the current available pics, both sculpts look fantastic and quite screen accurate. For any city pred fans, can't go wrong with either IS or P1.

:hi5:

Back