Pre-Cyborg Grievous...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will disagree with the senator from Crankyland.

He looks pretty cool, and I've been real impressed with the improvements they've been making with the 3 3/4" line.
I've been pretty meh on the Hasbro 3 3/4" line for a few years now, but this year they're managing to recapture my interest.

They've finally got the troopers right, and are putting them out in numbers that are not horribly frustrating to track down; the McQuarrie figures are a home run, and comic figures galore.

Okay Sideshow, we need a Mara and a Thrawn.

I think it looks cool. After all it is a mass production $9, 3 3/4" kids toy, not a $700 Sideshow PF statue so of course its not going to look EXACTLY like the picture.

Is the Hasbro accurate to what Grievous looks like under his "mask"? I didn't even know he was wearing a mask.

I don't think it is, they gave him large pointy ears which wouldn't make sense under that hood. The best references for him is from the Star Wars Visionaries comic book which has the concept drawing by Warren Fu, along with a short comic about how Grievous got injured. My biggest problem with it is the buttflap thing, he's actually wearing pants, you can see it in the comic and he's got a tunic, not just a belt with a flap, and his legs should be more like a dinosaur's, or rather more like his feet are once he is a droid.

But then again, this is just a puny action figure. I was working on a piece of artwork of him in 3D on my computer, but I don't have the computer power or the time to complete it. Maybe once I get back to college and have more time and I have a faster computer. The sculpt in Zbrush was up to like 4.5 million polygons and was crashing whenever I tried to save the file.

I don't think it is, they gave him large pointy ears which wouldn't make sense under that hood. The best references for him is from the Star Wars Visionaries comic book which has the concept drawing by Warren Fu, along with a short comic about how Grievous got injured. My biggest problem with it is the buttflap thing, he's actually wearing pants, you can see it in the comic and he's got a tunic, not just a belt with a flap, and his legs should be more like a dinosaur's, or rather more like his feet are once he is a droid.

But then again, this is just a puny action figure. I was working on a piece of artwork of him in 3D on my computer, but I don't have the computer power or the time to complete it. Maybe once I get back to college and have more time and I have a faster computer. The sculpt in Zbrush was up to like 4.5 million polygons and was crashing whenever I tried to save the file.

i kind of like that 'just a belt with a flap' thing. it proves the general was a free freedom fighter. :lol if you had the choice, wouldn't you wear the flap? :rotfl

I don't think it is, they gave him large pointy ears which wouldn't make sense under that hood. The best references for him is from the Star Wars Visionaries comic book which has the concept drawing by Warren Fu, along with a short comic about how Grievous got injured.

I can't find a picture anywhere online of Grievous behind the mask... well not Grievous, his true identity. Have you got a picture?

I can't find a picture anywhere online of Grievous behind the mask... well not Grievous, his true identity. Have you got a picture?

30th_Lo_General_GrievousPreCyborg.jpg

I hate the ears. And I just saw another problem, he should have four fingers, not three. Two small thumb-like fingers and then two larger ones in the middle--sort of like his droid body except he has 4 fingers and not 6.

Well after a very long drought for anything new on the Hasbro basic figure front, I finally managed to snag wave 5...including

Pre-Cyborg Grievous....another great figure from what is easily the best wave of the year...

Inspired by Warren Fu's concept artwork for "Revenge of the Sith" and from his segment in the "Visionaries", the design and look of the character's pre-cyborg incarnation fits rather well into the fashion pallet developed by Trisha Bigger for the prequels...in fact it would be interesting to know if she had any input in the design.
As with Bigger's work, Fu has managed to take a bit of various historical and ethnic cues in the look without any of it turning the design into caricature. Like the best Star Wars designs, it looks otherworldy and timeless while still looking somehow "familiar" from all the influences. A little middle eastern, a little tribal, a touch of african and more blend to create the truly intimidating warrior, Qymaen Jai Sheelal.
Another cool aspect of the design is how it contains some interesting visual hints as to what he becomes. His cyborg creators take several cues from his "current" form for thier creation, from the tall, lanky, overpowering form to the tribal-symbol adorned cape to the bone mask...it creates an intriguing look that only adds to his mystique.

The cardback text reads:
"A fearless warrior, Grievous is one of the greatest military soldiers of his people. As is the Kaleesh custom, he wears, during combat, a bone mask passed down from his ancestors. His outstanding military record catches the attention of the Banking Clan, who want to use his expertise for their growing Seperatist movement."

For more, check out "Visionaries" from Dark Horse...

1822341898_bfd2ef9c21_o.jpg

Now, the figure.
He's a tall figure...stands well unassisted...fair articulation at the knees, hips, and waist. A ball jointed neck/head. One area lacking in the arms...he can't hold his weapon with both hands without looking awkward. The helmet/mask is removable, the cape and chest shields are as well. He features a short sword that fits securely in a sheath on his back. The rifle is a combination of hard plastic and soft rubber (the barrel). The paint apps are good (not great) with a little slop on the chest plates and leg wrappings...but not enought to ruin the overall look. The one area where it counts...the eyes...are sharp and well done.

I really appreciate Hasbro creating a figure of a cool character that covers a truly different aspect of him...it looks great. I would still really like Sideshow to take a crack at this guy...I think it could be pretty amazing!

It's a really great character, and because I like it so much I have to pick on Hasbro for their horrible version of him. The arms are missing the dew claw on his elbows, his feet are completely wrong (the picture in Visionaries shows them to be thicker and more like his droid legs, dinosaur like) And the pointy ears are sick. The clothing is a bit off too, he should be wearing something like a tunic, not just a flap, and it seems he's missing a couple layers of clothes.

But I'm sure Sideshow could do a much better version of him, although that would be a bit difficult for the legs since they'd need some solution for them, and the arms which are reptile like and wrapped in cloth.

Back