Possible scam. Need advice.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portugueezer

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi gang.

I don´t do much transactions so I need some advice.

I did a trade with someone from another Forum.
I gave him my SIM and he would send me a Sauron statue and some Euros.
He received my statue after three days and said that a light wasn´t working on the SIM(although he never provided proof).
I IMEDIATLY said no worries. Send it back (at my expense) and we´ll call the deal off.
He decided to send Sauron anyway. A month later I found out that he had sent to the wrong adress and that Sauron had been returned to him.
He said that he would send the statue again but not the money that we had agreed upon because he had to pay shipping for the item again! I answered that it was not my fault he put the wrong adress , but he really didn´t care....

So.....
A few days later I received my Sauron statue in pieces. Some of the broken pieces are not even in the box so I can´t even restore it properly.
I´ve been asking for nearly two weeks ago for a refund or a trade for another item (he´s supposed to be a "professional" seller and has an online store), with no luck.
I´ve asked him to file an insurance claim with the trasporter. His ansewr was that the Transporter has told him that, the moment I accept the package that the insurance is void!!! Is this true?!?

Sorry for the long post guys, but I´ve never have this happened and need some advice....
Cheers!

Sorry Gueez, this is just fubar the whole way through. :banghead

I would file a PayPal/credit card claim; esp if this is an online merchant. What was the cause of him sending it to the wrong address, was the information you provided correct?

Either way, they don't sound too helpful. :sick

Hi gang.

He received my statue after three days and said that a light wasn´t working on the SIM(although he never provided proof).
I IMEDIATLY said no worries. Send it back (at my expense) and we´ll call the deal off.
He decided to send Sauron anyway. A month later I found out that he had sent to the wrong adress and that Sauron had been returned to him.
He said that he would send the statue again but not the money that we had agreed upon because he had to pay shipping for the item again! I answered that it was not my fault he put the wrong adress , but he really didn´t care....

So.....
A few days later I received my Sauron statue in pieces. Some of the broken pieces are not even in the box so I can´t even restore it properly.
I´ve been asking for nearly two weeks ago for a refund or a trade for another item (he´s supposed to be a "professional" seller and has an online store), with no luck.
I´ve asked him to file an insurance claim with the trasporter. His ansewr was that the Transporter has told him that, the moment I accept the package that the insurance is void!!! Is this true?!?

Sorry for the long post guys, but I´ve never have this happened and need some advice....
Cheers!

I don't see how that'd be true. You'd have to accept the package anyway to check for damages. Likely you just got bent over on this transaction since no funds traded hands (this is why trading is a HUGE risk). I'd ask him if the whole reason he wanted a trade in the first place was because he'd broken his original and was looking for a replacement. Might explain why you got a busted one back that's missing pieces.

However, a question I'd ask being devil's advocate is, was the light working when you shipped it to him? That "proof" part of your post made me a bit curious to that. If it wasn't, and you knew or didn't check, I'd say you got a taste of your own medicine as he likely felt the same way you do now.

Sorry Gueez, this is just fubar the whole way through. :banghead

I would file a PayPal/credit card claim; esp if this is an online merchant. What was the cause of him sending it to the wrong address, was the information you provided correct?

Either way, they don't sound too helpful. :sick

Yup. I checked the E-amil I sent him , and the adress was correct. I even provided him with a phone number...
Thing is I can´t file a claim, because there was no money involved. Just a trade.
Can anyone tell me if what he says about the insurance claim is correct?

However, a question I'd ask being devil's advocate is, was the light working when you shipped it to him? That "proof" part of your post made me a bit curious to that. If it wasn't, and you knew or didn't check, I'd say you got a taste of your own medicine as he likely felt the same way you do now.

I honestly didn´t know. I asked for him to post some pics, but he never did...
Anyway, when he told me I imediatly offered to take the SIM back at my expense, of course...

Doh, I should have read more carefully -the Euros were on his end. :duh

I have heard some illogical claims about shipping insurance before, but his story doesn't add up; you would literally have to open it in front of the courier without taking final ownership of the piece.

You say you have been asking for a refund/trade back but with no luck, does that mean they are now ignoring you? If so, a little board "exposure" may snuff them out! :naughty :devil :gun

Yup. I checked the E-amil I sent him , and the adress was correct. I even provided him with a phone number...
Thing is I can´t file a claim, because there was no money involved. Just a trade.
Can anyone tell me if what he says about the insurance claim is correct?

No, it isn't. Again, the recipient has to receive the package and investigate the contents for breakage. This is the whole reason for insurance. It's ridiculous to expect you to bust it open right there in front of the carrier. Likely he didn't purchase insurance and is just lying to you. Unfortunately, there's really nothing you can do. If I were you, I'd go to the dealers board here and put down the name of the company so that others are aware of what happened and don't fall into the same trap.

You say you have been asking for a refund/trade back but with no luck, does that mean they are now ignoring you? If so, a little board "exposure" may snuff them out! :naughty :devil :gun

Yeah.... I didn´t want to come to that.

I´ve given him multiple possibilities: Give me a refund, trade for another item, undue the trade and send back each others items..
But with little to no luck.

It just seems odd that someone with an online store would behave in such a way...

Well if he has an online store - post a response for others to see. Find out if he did get insurance and see if you can file a claim...I believe that is the shipper's responsibility, but you may want to do a little research to find out if what he is saying is true.....I have never heard that before so I am very suspicious of it.

Other than that, I don't know what else you can do...besides making people aware of what happened on the forum you did this trade and by posting on his online store website. If you are able to make other people leery of doing business with him, he may decide it's in his best interests to rectify the problem.

Good luck. :duff

yep he needs to be pointed out before he does this to anyone else. There seems to be a lot of bad transactions going on recently

Hi gang.

So.....

Cheers!

Sorry to hear about that but it sounds like the guy is a scammer. I am so sick of these scam artists on boards like these and those that make excuses for them. Why can't people just be honest.

Not much you can do. I'm with Jen. File the insurance claim anyway.

I think the sender has to file the claim, so get him to get off his butt and do it. If he's such a great seller it wont be too much to ask. Get some proof he's done it. Ring the insurance company and see if they have received his claim. I have heard insurance companies will say you shouldn't have accepted it. It relates to you accepting the package, which you would if the outer box was intact. Have the claim filed and wait for an official result. In writing. Then go to your insurance ombudsman or other relative authority if you don't get some action. Afterall, you're not disputing the parcel was intact, rather, the contents weren't.

Otherwise all you can do is name and shame.

omg...file the claim...you have right...hope it goes well for you...

Back