POLL: Which Should I get; Batman Returns or Arkham City?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Hot Toys figure should I buy?

• Arkham City Batman

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Batman Returns Batman

Votes: 37 56.9%

• Total voters
BR Batman. That's the one I will get, it looks much better.

As for the games, I though Arkham Asylum was the better game. Though I don't think the suit changed.

I'll get the Returns set. I never play the video game. That batman is just way too muscular. And it makes the head looks small and out of proportion. I have been wanting a non movie version as well. I have also been looking lots of pics and still not convinced myself to buy it. Maybe I need more time to sink in

I always thought all of the animated versions (or most of them) were out of proportion too... he always had the broadest shoulders and upper body.... :lol but I guess we got used to them. You could look into the SSC Gotham Batman as well for a non-movie version.

thebatman1.jpg

batman-the-animated-series.jpg
latest

Hoo-boy what a question. Do you have the 89 Batman figure, at least? If so, I'd go with the Arkham figure. It comes from one of the greatest video games released last gen, and quite frankly, it's as close as it gets for a BTAS figure.

Even if you don't have the 89 Batman figure, I'd still go with the Arkham one. I'm sure a lot of folks in the DC section will disagree me on this, because most of this board isn't familiar with video games at all (no offense, guys :monkey3). Just don't expect accurate and honest polling, to base your decision on :lol.
Having the 1989 Batman is the main reason not to get the Returns Batman over the Arkham Batman honestly, totally. I am undecided myself, but I'd prefer the Arkham Batman. The B:TAS comparisons is another selling point too.

Returns Batman is great for those who want Keaton, and missed the DX09 like I did. I'm still buying both however, can't have enough Batmen.

Last edited:
There is no comparing them to each other for the purpose of having just one. I grew up with Batman in the "Modern Era" blue/gray with big yellow chest emblem. I had the benefit of seeing Keaton, Clooney, Kilmer, and Bale all don the cowl. I don't play video games much, but did play AA and AC. In the end I found myself MOST attracted to the Arkham Batman look. As someone else said, it just seems to be the most "realistic" suit for Batman to go around being Batman in. Unrealistic body proportions have always been present in comic books, and again they're common in video games. If you want a more realistic/human look, the you could go with either 89, 92 or any other movie-made Batman figure. There's other things to ultimately consider, but in the end, I'd say go with the one that stirs your emotions the most. I'm going all in with the Arkham Bats and passing on the BR. I have the 89 Batman, yes, but I also have the Bale Dark Knight. Even if I did not have the 89, I'd still choose the Arkham Batman as it just has the right mix of Comic/Video Game/Movie-realism to cover all the media as a stand alone Batman figure. And anyone who saw it in your collection will still immediately recognize it as Batman.

There is no comparing them to each other for the purpose of having just one. I grew up with Batman in the "Modern Era" blue/gray with big yellow chest emblem. I had the benefit of seeing Keaton, Clooney, Kilmer, and Bale all don the cowl. I don't play video games much, but did play AA and AC. In the end I found myself MOST attracted to the Arkham Batman look. As someone else said, it just seems to be the most "realistic" suit for Batman to go around being Batman in. Unrealistic body proportions have always been present in comic books, and again they're common in video games. If you want a more realistic/human look, the you could go with either 89, 92 or any other movie-made Batman figure. There's other things to ultimately consider, but in the end, I'd say go with the one that stirs your emotions the most. I'm going all in with the Arkham Bats and passing on the BR. I have the 89 Batman, yes, but I also have the Bale Dark Knight. Even if I did not have the 89, I'd still choose the Arkham Batman as it just has the right mix of Comic/Video Game/Movie-realism to cover all the media as a stand alone Batman figure. And anyone who saw it in your collection will still immediately recognize it as Batman.

I grew up with the Adam West, Neal Adams, Animated, Kelley Jones, Val, & Clooney bats but the Arkham bats is what spoke to me the most, since like some others have said he could easily been the BTAS Bats in realistic form and the fact that it's Kevin Conroy doing the role even all these years.

So I guess you can't go wrong with any of them TC, they're both winners to me.

If I needed one batman to be displayed would definitely be Arkham Beastman.

The size and presence of this guy is AMAZING.

Makes ALL other HT Bats look like little school girls.

Makes MOS look malnourished.

EDIT:
Pic!

IMG_20150513_174149.jpg

If I needed one batman to be displayed would definitely be Arkham Beastman.

The size and presence of this guy is AMAZING.

Makes ALL other HT Bats look like little school girls.

Makes MOS look malnourished.

EDIT:
Pic!

View attachment 184896

WOW that is amazing! And yeah, Arkham Bats is gigantuous, it's the way he's meant to be.

Both will have a serious lack of articulation due to the rubber suits. I think Returns version looks better, and will better stand the test of time, considering that it already has been 20+ years. The Arkham design will be an artifact of the "tactical" comic book looks that are have been the trend for the last 5 years or so, and video game Batmen will move on to something else.

I only want ONE Batman in my collection.

Batman Returns is probably my favorite Batman movie.

I love the Arkham series. AC is probably one of my favorite video games.

Honestly, I really cannot decided between the two.

Please help me decide. Thanks.

EDIT: I just noticed that both are sequels in their respected genre.

If you can only choose one, I'd personally go with the Returns Batman. It has better value, more bang for your buck, and looks sleeker in just about every respect. This is especially true for the people that missed out on the DX 09. The Arkham Batman kind of looks grotesque as far as body proportions and the rubber suit goes. He looks like a micro headed pillsberry doughboy. It looks uncomfortable. I think it's fair to say that visually, the Returns one "pops" more.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

If possible get both figures, but if not, just get the character that you like the most. I happen to have both on pre-order.

In any case, I don't really understand the continued criticisms toward the Arkham figure. Batman had the physique of a walking-tank in the game (very similar to how he was in BTAS), and the Hot Toys figure is a near-perfect rendition of the character in terms of proportions.

That said, personal preferences aside, these are both great-looking figures, and you can't go wrong with either. Of course, I'd personally give a slight edge to the Arkham figure, because it comes from a damn good video game, with a storyline that just happens to be in a similar (if not the same) universe as BTAS.

Last edited:
I think the Arkham City batman is the idealized version of what Batman should be ... Not what's just possible to create given the limitations of costuming etc...
It's the best looking batman in terms of realism and style ... With a tactical feel. It's what the comics aspire to and what the movies aim towards...

I think the Arkham City batman is the idealized version of what Batman should be ... Not what's just possible to create given the limitations of costuming etc...
It's the best looking batman in terms of realism and style ... With a tactical feel. It's what the comics aspire to and what the movies aim towards...

:lecture

688.gif

If possible get both figures, but if not, just get the character that you like the most. I happen to have both on pre-order.

In any case, I don't really understand the continued criticisms toward the Arkham figure. Batman had the physique of a walking-tank in the game (very similar to how he was in BTAS), and the Hot Toys figure is a near-perfect rendition of the character in terms of proportions.

That said, personal preferences aside, these are both great-looking figures, and you can't go wrong with either. Of course, I'd personally give a slight edge to the Arkham figure, because it comes from a damn good video game, with a storyline that just happens to be in a similar (if not the same) universe as BTAS.
And the pics being shown are the prototype, where-as we have in-hand final product pictures that do the figure so much more justice - if nothing else, it should completely do away with the physique criticisms.

Back