Policy change without warning by Triad Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It isn't like we have to have these collectibles, they are just nice to have. In todays economy we just have to pick and choose what is nice to have. Triads' policy seems reasonable for nice to have items. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. If you have ordered it, and can't afford it, cancel it. If you want it, and can afford it, pay for it. Anyway it seems to work for my budget.

That sounds fine and dandy, but a company deciding initially not to charge early for pre-orders, then switching that policy around and charging those with pre-orders without giving customers any head's up is never acceptable. It is essentially a violation of a contract.

Completely unacceptable way to do business all preorders before the policy change should not be charged per the original agreement.

Never liked Triad's products therefore never bought any of them so doesnt directly effect me but I sure as hell wont be buying anything from them now should they come out with something that takes my fancy (its unlikely they will)

Out of curiosity, I tried to see what this company had to say for itself on its own forum page, and saw no discussion of this. I guess they are censoring dissent there pretty heavily. In fact, it looks like there have been no new posts since the early hours this morning.

That's just bad business, IMO, because it's going to feed negative perceptions.

Also, I don't completely follow their rationale for doing this at all. "It is unfair for customers who remain on waiting lists for sold out products to wait"? How is that unfair? It is a waitlist. That's what they exist for, right? Cancellations and canceled credit cards?

That sounds fine and dandy, but a company deciding initially not to charge early for pre-orders, then switching that policy around and charging those with pre-orders without giving customers any head's up is never acceptable. It is essentially a violation of a contract.

Again, these are 'nice to have items' and not necessities. An advance notice from them would have been a good thing, so that one could decide whether or not to keep (update credit card information) or cancel the order before the policy change so that either party in the contract would not be in violation.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow. What does the items not being necessities have to do with anything? It seems like we are in agreement, but I don't understand the relevance of that first sentence. If you pre-ordered bread or a roof over your head with the understanding that it would be paid for when it was delivered, and the company you pre-ordered with changed its mind as Triad has, it would be no more or less contemptible.

Out of curiosity, I tried to see what this company had to say for itself on its own forum page, and saw no discussion of this. I guess they are censoring dissent there pretty heavily. In fact, it looks like there have been no new posts since the early hours this morning.

There's a discussion thread and an announcement thread both covering this topic in their "General Discussion" forum.

Amoktime has crappy release dates as well..it took over two years for the NOTLD figures to come out! and they cancelled the little girl zombie w/o reason!

If it's not illegal (and I think it is), it's extremely unethical to change terms of a preorder after the fact and charge you. Glad I think their stuff is junk anyway.

Here is a link to the complaint thread started on Triad's own forum...

https://www.triadtoys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3351&osCsid=87f4c9c6e49519a844953af7f046f147

I emailed the company at the email address listed in that thread, asking them to cancel my order. The company representative in the thread said anyone that wasn't happy could cancel their orders and move on. That is Triad's policy whenever something goes wrong..."don't like it, cancel your order and move along." Great customer service mantra.

So I sent them an email last night with my order number in it, requesting a full refund. They have yet to do so, and it is now almost 4:00 p.m. here. Another banking business day gone. I did get a return email asking me to give them a call to discuss my order. Unfortunately I am unable to call them until I get home tonight.

This was my first and last order with Triad. I was ordering some of the new Alpha bodies. I will probably hold off and buy something from a different company now.

i'm surprised some people in that thread are happy about it.

A company like SSC is pretty darn reliable as far as meeting their release projections.

Some Triad products are literally years in the making, who knows if you'll get it.

Last edited:
Prog, why do you keep bringing up the issue with Josh? Please, let it be. I'm actually affected by it, but after hearing what that poor fella has had to go through it seems really petty to keep going after him. This issue with Triad has nothing to do with any of that, and you know it.

I don't think I've ever pre-ordered anything from any company and was charged full price before the item was in stock and shipped. It's not right, especially if you don't ship products on time. That's not fair to customers to immediately take their money and then make them wait a year or 2 years for the product. If you want to CYA, ask for a pre-order deposit or charge a cancellation fee.

don't throw me under the bus karamazov, i made a blanket statement about multiple bad transactions i've had in the custom forum, not 1 particular person, i deleted my comment as not to appear to be about 1 person, please edit/delete yours.

Back