Policy change without warning by Triad Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studio49

Super Freak
Reaction score
I got this email today from Triad Toys...

"Your order has been charged in advance to insure that your order can and will be filled once stock arrives. You will be notified with a tracking number as soon as your order ships and thank you for your continued support of Triad Toys."

I ordered because Triad had a policy of not charging until the item was ready to ship. I pre-ordered several items that aren't due until second quarter of this year. That is, IF Triad Toys can actually deliver the product on time. Past track record indicates this probably won't happen, and it could take a year or more for the product to be delivered.

On the Triad website they say this...

"We also experienced many canceled orders due to credit card payments expiring with no updated information. Please note that if you have any pending preorders, your order(s) will be charged at this time to reflect our new preorder policy. This will guarantee your order and also allow new customers to order any canceled preorders by customers who have not paid. We feel that this is necessary and fair for customers who have been on waiting lists for preorder items."

Maybe they wouldn't have so many outdated credit cards on file if they released the product when they said they would. I don't give a crap about someone on the wait list, and what they have to go through. Don't charge my card when the product isn't in house. Especially when you are Triad Toys, and you have a really, really crappy history of delivering products when you say you will.

I am going to have to find a distributor who won't charge for these items in advance.

They make decent product, but whoever is running that company is a big fail. Charge for preorder that prolly take years to fill. To shady.

It would have been one thing to notify you first and give you the option of paying in advance, but they solicited your order under terms that did not require you to pay until it shipped, and then, without your permission, charged you for it?

Bullsh-t, and probably illegal. If it's not, it should be.

You know, I don't own any of their figures, but they have some licenses that I am interested in, and this new pre-paying (not pre-ordering) policy has convinced me that whatever they make I can live without...too bad I really wanted that Lone Wolf and Cub set...

lol, so glad im done with triad and their bullcrap. bye bye, you wont last much longer triad.

It would have been one thing to notify you first and give you the option of paying in advance, but they solicited your order under terms that did not require you to pay until it shipped, and then, without your permission, charged you for it?

Bullsh-t, and probably illegal. If it's not, it should be.

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of "handshake" agreement violation (which are binding in California). They should've announced it and expedited it on an upcoming preorder vs. previous preorders. Personally, I'd call them demanding a refund and then write them off. This reeks of desperation and frankly, changing of policy without notice would have me worried that down the road, there may not only be a lack of product, but no refund either.

Wow, sudden change in policy and then start charging cards for all previous pre-orders made under the old policy? Is this actually legal? I am glad I have nothing on pre-order with them.

Haven't felt the need to buy any of their product... and this helps seal the deal.

And like the original poster mentioned, credit cards are expiring because they take to f'n long to release product :lol

WTH? I'd reverse my credit charge AND report them. They can lose their ability to take credit cards for pulling stuff like this.
I would definitely do this. Completely unethical, if not illegal. Not that I would ever buy any of their anatomically correct women or butt-ugly attempts at licensed characters, but I am even less likely to do so after this.

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of "handshake" agreement violation (which are binding in California). They should've announced it and expedited it on an upcoming preorder vs. previous preorders. Personally, I'd call them demanding a refund and then write them off. This reeks of desperation and frankly, changing of policy without notice would have me worried that down the road, there may not only be a lack of product, but no refund either.

I've been wondering about potential legal issues with this myself. I've sent them an email and also left a message on their answering machine to cancel my orders...this whole situation does not sit well with me.

This is shady and I don't like any of their product anyway. Maybe interested in the evo/eva but by the time it comes out, HTs new truetypes will be out and blow em outta the water.

Plus, imo, all their figure headsculpts are ____ and I would never display one of their females :lol

Back