Please help ~ bought fake Hulk vs Spidey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siren3-4

Super Freak
Reaction score
I purchased a Hulk vs Spidey dio on ebay . . .

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140238957456&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

I took a chance because it claimed it was the Exclusive version, and I believed the exclusive could not be faked.

It turns out that I get a regular version in the mail and it has all the signs of being a fake . . . really glossy, bad paint job, no item number on the box . . .

They offered a refund but I would have to pay shipping. I don't feel like I did anything wrong and don't want to pay the international shipping fees, and what if it arrives broken . . I just see a nightmare happening . . .

I have filed a claim through paypal (and this has been a huge pain in the butt) and I finally got them to realize that I am saying it is a counterfeit item.

So I got an email today asking to provide proof that it is counterfeit:

To continue with the investigation of your complaint, we must request
documentation to support your claim that the item is not authentic. Please
obtain a document from an unbiased, third-party, such as a dealer,
appraiser, or organization that is qualified in the area of the item in
question (other than yourself), which clearly identifies the item as not
authentic. The document must specifically state how the item received
differs from an authentic item and must include a detailed explanation of
how the person evaluating the item determined that it is not authentic. If
possible, the document should include a serial number, and must be on
letterhead that includes the name, address, and phone number of the
business or organization so that PayPal may contact them if necessary.

I live in South Florida and I have no idea how to go about this . . . Is there a list of authorized dealers somewhere ?

If anyone has had to do this please give me an idea of how to get this done . . . I really want to stick it to these guys and maybe get ebay to stop them from selling these items . . .

do you have any pictures of it to show how it differs?

Hey siren I just had a look at the ebay auction and it says in big red writing
Pre-painted and completed. (above item pics)
Not sure but this could be hinting a re-cast.

I will try to post pics of mine later . . but they have sold about 4 of these and the one they have listed now has different pictures:

Ebay item: 170242992736

fdsegsegf.jpg

fdsegse.jpg

fdsegseg.jpg

fdsegs.jpg

Am I way off base ? It just doesn't make sense that they are selling bunch of these . . .

No they are more than likely fake recasts. this has been going on for awhile now.

I just wanted to see how yours truly looks so that we can all avoid buying something that looks of the same quality etc. Most of this guys' auctions use the production photos trying to hide the fact that his statues are recasts.

I would contact Sideshow customer support and provide photos to them. I am sure they can verify it and send you a letter with all the appropriate information.

I would contact Sideshow customer support and provide photos to them. I am sure they can verify it and send you a letter with all the appropriate information.

I will try that tonight . . do you think they would be able to get back to me within the 10 days ?

I can't believe people are still falling for this. It's obvious these are fakes just by reading the lackluster description they give... plus they "just received a new shipment" ....

YOU ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR!

Remember that!

I don't mean to be rude but you live you learn.

Last edited:
To OP, just so you know, even if you win the Paypal case, you will have to pay to ship it back to them and you will have to make sure you get something with SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION. That is tough to do between countries, and always expensive.

let sideshow know you're dealing with paypal and that they need a fast response and ask them accomodate you needs in the best way sideshow can.
make sure you send pics of the part of the box or base where you said the # is missing. just looking at the paintjob, i'm hoping sideshow will send you a letter you need. try giving them a fax# and see if they can fax you a response.

I'm also pretty sure that SS will be less than helpful in helping you get your money back from a fake seller. This is how I imagine phone conversation will go:

"Hello, SS customer service, how can I hlep you?"

"Hi, I just received a fake statue"

"Did you buy it directly from Sideshow?"

"No, but I need your help anyway."

"We can't help you unless you buy directly from SS. Work it out with the seller you bought it from. In future, only buy from SS."

That sucks it happened, but I thought most people on this baord knew better. Siren, you've been around longer than me, how did you fall for this?

I would also give up on this statue, real or fake; I know I have. Most seem to be broken. It's VERY fragile with the pole and spidey's fingers.

"We can't help you unless you buy directly from SS. Work it out with the seller you bought it from. In future, only buy from SS."

I don't think they'd be that unhelpful. They once diagnosed a problem for me on an item I bought on the secondary market.

Have you tried calling or emailing them yet, OP?

If its not a EX and a regular then what does it matter if its fake they didn't ship what they listed. That should be enough to win the claim

I don't think they'd be that unhelpful. They once diagnosed a problem for me on an item I bought on the secondary market.

Have you tried calling or emailing them yet, OP?

Sideshow is a great company and usually very helpful whenever I have called them about a problem I had on something I bought from them. But they aren't going to take much (if any) of their time to help someone who wasn't a paying customer.

If its not a EX and a regular then what does it matter if its fake they didn't ship what they listed. That should be enough to win the claim

Good point. But you still will loose shipping, and I don't think there is anyway around that.

OP, If you need the direct number to Ebay to help file a claim, send me a PM and I'll give it to you. I think I have a direct line because I do enough with them.

But they aren't going to take much (if any) of their time to help someone who wasn't a paying customer.

not necessarily true...

i bought an unopened/undisplayed captain america ex. a while back and it came with a broken wing on the modern head. one call and they had a brand new one on the way, all i paid was shipping. plus, they didn't even ask for the broken head.
they also replaced the whip of an original balrog i bought on ebay. all they asked was for the old one to be returned and i had to pay shipping.

maybe i was just lucky, but they've helped me out, even with stuff off of the secondary market.

op, just do a chargeback and let paypal sort everything else out.

No offense Siren but this auction looks bad. It's obvious just from the description and his feedback that this auction was going to go bad.

Rory is right, you do get what you pay for. His Buy It Now Price should have been a "red flag."

I do believe that you'll have to return the item and pay for shipping before you get your refund. I had a similar problem with a seller from Tailand and that's what I had to do. This is why I only buy from international sellers that I know or have absolutely no negative feedback.

Ebay phone support 1-800-701-3229.

Also call Paypal 1-888-221-1161.

Hope that helps.

op, just do a chargeback and let paypal sort everything else out.

While that's unethical and I'd hope no one would do that to me, the guy who sold it was the first one to do something unethical. I don't know if two wrongs make a right.

One time a guy in Australia sold me a counterfeit guitar part and I hated the fact that I had to pay $25+ for signature delivery to be sure to get my money back through Paypal. The worst was he sent it to me without any tracking. If I had just said it was never received, I would have gotten my money back no questions asked. It's a shame how Paypal tends to work against the favor of whoever is being honest.

Try and contact ebay and complain I did It once and I had a full refund backa nd got to keep the Item.

While that's unethical and I'd hope no one would do that to me, the guy who sold it was the first one to do something unethical. I don't know if two wrongs make a right.

One time a guy in Australia sold me a counterfeit guitar part and I hated the fact that I had to pay $25+ for signature delivery to be sure to get my money back through Paypal. The worst was he sent it to me without any tracking. If I had just said it was never received, I would have gotten my money back no questions asked. It's a shame how Paypal tends to work against the favor of whoever is being honest.

wtf, unethical????

unethical is when paypal drags their feet so long resolving a dispute that they can no longer confirm online that the returned package had been delivered and signed for. i even obtained and faxed paypal the receipt that confirned delivery, but they told me i was s.o.l. it was over a ssw moria orc swordsman that had been broken in multiple places, reglued, and advertised as mint.
sorry, but when paypal pulls that sh-t, i'll let them sort through the trash to recoup their funds. when i've spent the money i have through them, it's their job to do the footwork, not mine.

Back