Media Playstation Classic

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but neither a monthly subscription service nor a $100 emulator are ever going to replace simple backwards compatiblity.

Letsbe real this is for us collectors mostly. Sure im gonna play it for a bit but as a big fan of the PlayStation brand as a kid, id also want to have this as a cool thing on my shelf.

The SNES mini can be easily hacked without the worry of getting the console bricked to add waaaay more games. Im sure same will happen with PS classic, if its just a simple emulator, they wont include any online firmware updates like they do for Vita and PS4 to prevent hackers, i just think they couldn't care less, they are going for the nostalgia factor. The only thing is, PS1 games are considerably larger, 300-500mb on average so it all depends what size is internal storage.

No let's be real. this is a shameless cash grab because Sony has to half ass copy everything Nintendo does.

Imagine if they released this thing at $75 and it had the PS Store where you could have access to whatever PSOne games you wanted to buy or already had and it properly scaled them to modern TVs. It would be like a digital only PSone that you didn't need a memory card for. Now imagine they did that again for the PS2.

Last edited:
GAME LIST

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

GAME LIST

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

Well, I think I'm going to grab one now, Battle Arena Toshinden is one of my favorites from that console, and there's quite a few good other games on that list.

I'm still waiting for Syphon Filter 2 on the PS Store. How they can have 1 and 3 on there but not 2 just beggars belief.

pretty good list. A lot of those are US long box games(the earlier titles that came in long boxes), really interested to see the Japanese list.

Letsbe real this is for us collectors mostly. Sure im gonna play it for a bit but as a big fan of the PlayStation brand as a kid, id also want to have this as a cool thing on my shelf.

The SNES mini can be easily hacked without the worry of getting the console bricked to add waaaay more games. Im sure same will happen with PS classic, if its just a simple emulator, they wont include any online firmware updates like they do for Vita and PS4 to prevent hackers, i just think they couldn't care less, they are going for the nostalgia factor. The only thing is, PS1 games are considerably larger, 300-500mb on average so it all depends what size is internal storage.

That's pretty much what I'm doing. A decade before I was a PS1 fanboy, I was a C-64 fanboy, and recently bought the mini for that. I've played maybe 2-3 hours tops for the nostalgia factor. Sure PS1 gaming isn't quite that dated yet, but it's pretty dated. I replayed in their entirety Silent Hill and MGS when the "Classics" lineup came out for the PS3 and Vita. I vaguely recall revisiting Syphon Filter many years into the PS2/3 era and scratching my head that either gaming was becoming more user friendly, or I was just getting old.

I lost my PS1 library from a house burglary many years ago (still have of all games only Tekken 3 which was in another drawer for some reason), but I do still have my entire PS2 and PS3 eras and I never feel the urge to play them, even the mighty GTA Vice City which I still rank as one of my favourite 5 games of all time.. I have no interest in Backwards Compatibility on modern consoles..

Yet, here we are, I've ordered the PS Classic before it sells out, lol .. just to have it, and just to spend 20-30 min on each game and remember that I was once 22 years old, freshly moved out of home and spending almost 60% of my time outside of work with my two best mates and probably a quarter/third of that time was playing PS1..

Really wanted one from my wife for Christmas, would look great on the desk... only I'm afraid I will play like 6 games for 20 minutes and it will collect dust for the rest of days :(

There’s a couple big name games on there, but I’ll wait and see if there’s a hack

This was my original thought too, but I think overall I'm just gonna pass. I'm pretty much put of getting these classics, until nintendo comes out with a gameboy color classic. But even then, I have a vita with emulators so....indecisive is me.

Back