Pixelpiper's diorama and shelf backgrounds (Free High Res Downloads)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How exactly do you make these backdrops? Screencaps of the bluray? If so, how exactly do you make the screenshots at such a high resolution?

Every one is different. I've noted the ones that are caps however. Those I capture at their native resolution with the built-in region screen capture in Mac OS X.

I take them into Photoshop and clean them up, plus make any mods like deleting subjects, replicating, etc. When I'm done I enlarge them for print using a plugin called Blow Up, optionally providing settings for sharpening, etc.

Some others, like the Tatooine, I source images on the net and then combine them - Flickr has a nice Creative Commons search ability.

Every one is different. I've noted the ones that are caps however. Those I capture at their native resolution with the built-in region screen capture in Mac OS X.

I take them into Photoshop and clean them up, plus make any mods like deleting subjects, replicating, etc. When I'm done I enlarge them for print using a plugin called Blow Up, optionally providing settings for sharpening, etc.

Some others, like the Tatooine, I source images on the net and then combine them - Flickr has a nice Creative Commons search ability.

So there's actually a plugin that enlarges pictures without completely ruining the quality? Never knew.. You'd think they would've told me that in design class at uni instead of going "NEVER ENLARGE IT'S THE DEVIL" :p

If you only have a smaller image and you absolutely need to print it to a large size, you must enlarge in software or your results (enlarged by the RIP or printer driver) will be (more) unpleasant.

The decision to up-sample is entirely based on the intent of the output. That means the overall size, the viewing distance and of course the density.

There are many techniques for enlarging source images, including first converting some details to vectors where possible. With some more abstract images, such as paintings, I have also successfully "repainted" the enlargement with brand new brush strokes also courtesy of a nice plugin. Those new repainted strokes are at full resolution and you can work wonders for a print.

If I can find pieces of an image at higher resolution I will also composite those into an enlargement, so at least part(s) of the image are higher resolution. Then of course there's manual touch-up, re-painting, blending and sharpening.

These background enlargements are not meant to be looked at under a microscope or from a couple of inches away like a magazine, so while none of the enlargements are necessarily perfect, they work very well when viewed at a comfortable distance. So well that for most of them, a perfectly sharp version wouldn't make much difference. Don't forget also that these images are all meant to output at 150 or 300dpi - pixel peeping them on a monitor doesn't tell the truth with respect to the final result at 1:1

If you only have a smaller image and you absolutely need to print it to a large size, you must enlarge in software or your results (enlarged by the RIP or printer driver) will be (more) unpleasant.

The decision to up-sample is entirely based on the intent of the output. That means the overall size, the viewing distance and of course the density.

There are many techniques for enlarging source images, including first converting some details to vectors where possible. With some more abstract images, such as paintings, I have also successfully "repainted" the enlargement with brand new brush strokes also courtesy of a nice plugin. Those new repainted strokes are at full resolution and you can work wonders for a print.

If I can find pieces of an image at higher resolution I will also composite those into an enlargement, so at least part(s) of the image are higher resolution. Then of course there's manual touch-up, re-painting, blending and sharpening.

These background enlargements are not meant to be looked at under a microscope or from a couple of inches away like a magazine, so while none of the enlargements are necessarily perfect, they work very well when viewed at a comfortable distance. So well that for most of them, a perfectly sharp version wouldn't make much difference. Don't forget also that these images are all meant to output at 150 or 300dpi - pixel peeping them on a monitor doesn't tell the truth with respect to the final result at 1:1

Thanks for the explanation!

I totally didn't take the viewing distance into consideration. Our design classes are mainly meant for web / magazines so the lower viewing distance simply demands a higher quality, but since this is viewed from quite a distance I guess there is a bigger "margin" to work with :)

You should look at the printed output for a billboard or large format sign sometime! Huge half-tone screen dots and super low resolution.

You should look at the printed output for a billboard or large format sign sometime! Huge half-tone screen dots and super low resolution.

Yeah exactly :p For some reason that totally slipped my mind! I guess it's because I get confronted with high resolution and crisp images only in my studies, I almost forgot it isn't always needed :)

Any recommendations for printing services or materials? I'm thinking about using your Hoth backdrop behind my Master Replicas AT-AT.

My background was printed at Uprinting.com on vinyl banner - selection custom option without grommets for a plain sheet.

Is there any point in the movie where you can see a clear image of the background area without too much obscuring it? You can post the timestamp of any specific scene and I will queue up my HD copy to see what I can do.

Just finished printing a bunch of these at my local Costco and the results were excellent and matched my on-screen proofs very closely. To save $$ I composited multiple images so that I ran three 24" x 36" prints which I've had to cut down myself.

Just finished printing a bunch of these at my local Costco and the results were excellent and matched my on-screen proofs very closely. To save $$ I composited multiple images so that I ran three 24" x 36" prints which I've had to cut down myself.

Costco prints vinyl?

Nooo.. The Costco stuff was printed large format (24" x 36") on Epson photo paper. The vinyl stuff was from uprinting.com and another place.

hey mate how do i save the background pics to bring to my local office works store to be printed up?

Click through to go to the images at Flickr. Then you'll need to click the MORE button (…) to "view all sizes" - that will show you links to every size, including the one you want, ORIGINAL. Click that and then save the image to your computer. Put it on a thumb drive and take it to be printed in person or upload it to a print service online.

I've updated the instructions in the first post of this thread to include the old Flickr browser with comments and controls on white background under image, and the "New Photo Experience" browser with the controls on the right of the image on a dark grey background.

Last edited:
Awesome thread! Any chance of terminator 1 or 2 backdrops or floor pics? Not sure what floors you would use but they all look great!

I'm always happy to make a few more, even if they're not something I'll use, but suggestions definitely help.

Back