Action Figure Pinhead project - Update 3/3/2013 page 6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Pinhead project - Outfit Support shell - Update 2/18/2013 page 4

Here is everything after I de-molded the sculpt from the rubber mold. Tomorrow I will be cleaning the mold and prepping for the first cast.

demold1.jpg

Very cool... curious how you will get a thin layer out of this?

Most of the time by pouring a little bit of casting material in the mold, and rotating it continually until it cures, getting a nice even coat on the whole mold. :hi5:

Loving the updates by the way! So pumped for this! :panic:

Most of the time by pouring a little bit of casting material in the mold, and rotating it continually until it cures, getting a nice even coat on the whole mold. :hi5:

Loving the updates by the way! So pumped for this! :panic:

Thanks guys! Yep crue, that is pretty much it. This also let's you build it up in layers to get the thickness you want

I wondered if that was how it's done... sounds pretty labor intensive.

Thanks guys!

I'm doing a test pour right now to get an approximate time for how long it will take the rubber to set. If all goes well I will be pouring the first cast in a few hours.

Casting has begun. The first layer of rubber is in. The second layer will go in soon.

casting1.jpg

Re: Pinhead project - Casting started - Update 2/24/2013 page 5

Whoah man this is pretty epic

Re: Pinhead project - Update 3/3/2013 page 5

Thanks!

I pulled the first cast. There were two issues though. 1st, I used a thin coat of baby powder inside the mold before pouring the liquid rubber. This technique helps resin get "drawn" into the tight small crevasses of the mold. But, the baby powder had a weird reaction with the liquid rubber and caused some issues.

2nd, I got a little to excited to get it dried out faster so I could take it out. So I used a heat gun to speed up the cure time. Welp....it definitely sped up the dry time and burnt the rubber too.... DOH!!!:slap:slap:slap:slap

So, I have a new pour with the second layer drying now with no baby powder and no heat gun.

Here is a pic of the first pull that was burnt and had baby power in the mold. There are a few tears where the latex ripped and you can see some burn spots and the discoloration from the baby powder.

pull1.jpg

Back