Pick and chose (just cancelled my "Vader - Sith Aprentice" 12" figure)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Pick and chose (just cancelled my "Vader - Sith Aprentice" 12" figure)

Matt Bowen said:
I disagree pretty strenuously with this. I'm not a reseller, but its not really anyone's place, IMO, to tell someone selling something on ebay in a reputable manner to try and make 'the community' better. Market forces drive up the price, after all. Its fair game...and I pay those prices, and am not independently wealthy(not a sob story). I missed all those things that are currently on the wait list, and am quite happy to pay in order to get them. That's how it works.

Its still scalping though. And it does work both ways. I've picked up alot of my collection through Ebay for much less than the regular retail price (mainly Buffy figures this way, but a few Bonds) and way less than if I got them from Sideshow as I only had to pay local shipping ($A10 a figure versus $A60 a figure to get from the US).

Actually, I just happen to have cancelled my exclusive Anakin. I was going to flip him on ebay anyway, but in the end I couldnt be bothered with it. I already have to pay up the wazoo just to get it here. I'd barely make any profit when I would sell him. Unless I would keep him boxed up for a year or something. But I have other figures to pay for already.
And picking between exclusive Anakin and Sith eyes Anakin wasnt exactly a hard choice. I love the Sith eyes look, the base is cooler and "fingers crossed" they will fix the horrible lipstick lips!!

So there you go anonymous receiver of an exclusive Anakin! You better not be an evilbay flipper!!

LordAzrael said:
Its still scalping though. And it does work both ways. I've picked up alot of my collection through Ebay for much less than the regular retail price (mainly Buffy figures this way, but a few Bonds) and way less than if I got them from Sideshow as I only had to pay local shipping ($A10 a figure versus $A60 a figure to get from the US).

Were do you intend to draw the line then? What about those who keep them MIB, knowing that theirs will garner higher resell down the road? There's no regulations involving toy sales, unlike concerts or sporting events. If the resellers are charging too much, they won't get the price. If they do, its what the market bears as fair for the very limited quantity that Sideshow releases. The quantities they release are incredibly small, thus guaranteeing their products will be sold for a far higher price on the secondary market.

Matt Bowen said:
Were do you intend to draw the line then?

Pretty simple. If you buy it to resell at a quick profit - scalping. If you buy it to have and enjoy - Collector.

EASY!!! :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

If you look up Scalper most definitions include the concept of only holding for a short time. So if you buy it and then later decide to sell - not scalper - investor. I don't really have a problem with people investing in collectables - but it does seem a rather hit and miss area. I'd argue most "investors" are collectors who have to justify their collecting to their significant others :monkey1

When something is yours, your free to do whatever you like.

If someone doesnt like it, they should have bought the item first.

Back