PF Poll in this weeks newsletter (Oct.8/09)...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow polls have lost all credibility.

Did we ever claim that they had credibility? :confused: I think the only thing we ever claim, for most, is that AT LEAST ONE of the choices is currently in development... doesn't mean the winner of any of them is, just that one of them usually is ;) Mostly they are for fun... and as with ANY poll, no matter how you try to avoid it, anyone can campaign for their favorite character and get everyone they know to vote for THEIR favorite!

Did we ever claim that they had credibility? :confused: I think the only thing we ever claim, for most, is that AT LEAST ONE of the choices is currently in development... doesn't mean the winner of any of them is, just that one of them usually is ;) Mostly they are for fun... and as with ANY poll, no matter how you try to avoid it, anyone can campaign for their favorite character and get everyone they know to vote for THEIR favorite!

thank you dusty. make sure you tell the sideshow team working on my Ringwraith PF that i'm waiting for some pictures.:monkey3

:D

Am I the only one disappointed with this answer? While no doubt these polls can be fun, it would have also been nice to think this was one of the methods used by SS to allow those of us who are diehard LOTR collectors to not only participate in SS's decision making process, but also to give SS an idea as to what we as collectors really want to see produced.
Since we already know a Ringwraith is coming soon, [and I suspect at least Boromir and GTG somewhere in the near future] this poll is basically meaningless. It's too bad SS doesn't use these polls as a tool to tap into the thoughts and desires of LOTR collectors, as perhaps that would help SS to avoid some of it's questionable decisions, such as the recently announced Aragorn vs KOTD dio., which quite frankly has most collectors scratching their heads.
With Weta re-emerging as a LOTR collectible company, and not only actively seeking the opinions of collectors but also acting on them, I think it would be in SS's best interest to perhaps follow Weta's lead.

So what I'm hearing is that Sideshow puts up these polls for "fun" rather than use it as a tool to guage the interest of it's loyal customers? Interesting. Seems like a waste of bandwidth to me. Rather disappointing coming from a company that expects it's customers to shell out hundreds of their hard earned dollars for their products.

I'm with Woodsy and Blu Falcon on this one! I mean SS if you are asking us what would we like to see in PF and designate a poll for that, then doesn't that imply it's for market research purposes?? No apparently it's just for "fun"................. yep its great fun, thanks for that...........:rolleyes:

Wasn't me. :monkey3

No seriously, it wasn't. Although I did think about it, just didn't have the time. :lol

:lol It wasn't me either. And now that I know that the value of these polls ranges somewhere between "diddley and squat" I wouldn't even consider wasting the time.

I was trying to say (and did a horrible job at it :eek:) that these polls are not the ONLY way Sideshow gauges public interest. We do hope everyone realizes that internet polling is NOT the most ideal way to gain fan incite. The fact is, people campaign for "their" character, and just like in real politics, some people are simply much better at campaigning (or have a lot of time on their hands to create false accounts...or clear their cookes...and keep voting for the same one over and over). This then skews the results. (we limit by IP address, but this is not fool-proof, by a long shot... what with rotating IPs and clearing cookies.)

It's happened many times (like in the Star Wars E.U. poll we ran a while back... when Padme won, to our great surprise, but we had promised to make whoever won, so we did... but we release Asajj first ;)) And with Marvel and other licenses as well. The only difference is, now we don't PROMISE to make the winner :) (BECAUSE we know it can be skewed... so we take other things into account, not just "who won?")

Most of the incite actually comes from forums and comments... and then they have to weigh in licensor requests/desires, the artists' own personal renderings, production realities, etc etc. Sometimes things that we know are MOST wanted are a longer time in coming than we would like due to all of the above :duff

That being said, the polls ARE fun and sometimes there are exciting and unexpected results...whether they are skewed or not, well, most of the artists are also fans, so usually they can tell when some heavy 'campaigning' has been going on :)

I was trying to say (and did a horrible job at it :eek:) that these polls are not the ONLY way Sideshow gauges public interest. We do hope everyone realizes that internet polling is NOT the most ideal way to gain fan incite. The fact is, people campaign for "their" character, and just like in real politics, some people are simply much better at campaigning (or have a lot of time on their hands to create false accounts...or clear their cookes...and keep voting for the same one over and over). This then skews the results. (we limit by IP address, but this is not fool-proof, by a long shot... what with rotating IPs and clearing cookies.)

It's happened many times (like in the Star Wars E.U. poll we ran a while back... when Padme won, to our great surprise, but we had promised to make whoever won, so we did... but we release Asajj first ;)) And with Marvel and other licenses as well. The only difference is, now we don't PROMISE to make the winner :) (BECAUSE we know it can be skewed... so we take other things into account, not just "who won?")

Most of the incite actually comes from forums and comments... and then they have to weigh in licensor requests/desires, the artists' own personal renderings, production realities, etc etc. Sometimes things that we know are MOST wanted are a longer time in coming than we would like due to all of the above :duff

That being said, the polls ARE fun and sometimes there are exciting and unexpected results...whether they are skewed or not, well, most of the artists are also fans, so usually they can tell when some heavy 'campaigning' has been going on :)

:lecture

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32983

Saruman 1203

Boromir 1020

Eowyn 892

Gandalf the Grey 754

Ringwraith 580

King of the Dead 276

Total Votes: 4725

Started: October 8, 2009

Looks like the big money's on Saruman at the moment.....:lol

I'm a little sad there wasn't more love for the King of the Dead, as I thought his character design was so visually interesting.

amazed.gif

The poll is worthless without a Gimli option anyway. A shame the little fat bastard gets no love from Sideshow.
smgim.gif

I'm a little sad there wasn't more love for the King of the Dead, as I thought his character design was so visually interesting.

A Galadhrim Archer would be visually interesting, but I bet Sideshow is too scared to make one.

Back