PETITION FOR FRODO RESCULPT!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old entish said:
No need to be sorry.:D It just seems from all the posts I've read on several different forums that the overall feeling on this release is one of disappointment. I've seen waaaaay more negative comments about this piece then positive. To each his own!

I've seen lots of people that don't seem to like it but I don't take that as this is the overall feeling of the piece since who knows what the rest of the world thinks. It's all good in my book. I'm getting it and can't wait to get the next one.

jlcmsu said:
I've seen lots of people that don't seem to like it but I don't take that as this is the overall feeling of the piece since who knows what the rest of the world thinks. It's all good in my book. I'm getting it and can't wait to get the next one.

Hence the "from the posts I've read" comment. Which were posted by folks from all over the world. I am only going by the comments that I've read.

old entish said:
Hence the "from the posts I've read" comment. Which were posted by folks from all over the world. I am only going by the comments that I've read.

Well, I guess if you take what a few opinions then you've read on a message board or two as gospal then this piece is doomed as is the rest of the world. LOL

jlcmsu said:
Well, I guess if you take what a few opinions then you've read on a message board or two as gospal then this piece is doomed as is the rest of the world. LOL

You're kidding about the "few opinions" right? Go thru the threads and count them for yourself. I haven't counted them but there is no need,its obvious which way the majority are leaning. And I'm pretty sure that I said "several boards" as opposed to the 1 or 2 that you said. Drink the kool-Aid brother!:naughty

The pics from TF look great. I really think this one is equally as outstanding as Lurtz. I'm sorry for all that those that will miss out cause they don't like it but I'm happy with it and getting it

I agree. I saw the Frodo piece today at Toy Fair and I have to tell you it is very impressive in person. I'm glad I ordered it. IMHO, people will regret not getting it.

Eric

RED PLANET TOYS
www.redplanettoys.com

jlcmsu said:
That's fine but I can guarantee that it will sell and sell well.

Thats the funny part about it. People say they don't like how it looks and then they say that they still orderd it.:confused: Go figure!

MrToyNYC -- so you're also going to change your mind about stocking it for sale? Am curious just how much difference that "live" look made. (I've already ordered, but had some issues with it myself.)

I wasn't as impressed with this one as I was Lurtz, so I'm going to pass on it. Morris's photoshop skills are great, and it looks dead on. By the way, no ring, no elven brooch? What gives? Next...

GrimaSnailTongue said:
I wasn't as impressed with this one as I was Lurtz, so I'm going to pass on it. Morris's photoshop skills are great, and it looks dead on. By the way, no ring, no elven brooch? What gives? Next...

Frodo will come with the one ring (or so says a past podcast). He wouldn't have the elven brooch yet (in this scuplt) since he's in Moria. The 8 remaining fellowship members don't get their cloaks and brooches until they reach Lothlorien (that's after the events in Moria). :D

old entish said:
That's the funny part about it. People say they don't like how it looks and then they say that they still ordered it.:confused: Go figure!
That's because you are assuming that this is a black-or-white issue. Either love it or hate it. The fact is that there are varying shades of gray in peoples' opinions about this piece. I haven't read a post from anyone who said that they absolutely did not like the sculpt at all, but still planned to order it. I have read posts from several people who aid they didn't like it as well as they had hoped they would, or it wasn't as good as they expected, but they still planned on ordering. That is very different from what you described.

Perhaps it is your own dislike for the piece that is biasing your perception of what others have said.

RoboDad said:
That's because you are assuming that this is a black-or-white issue. Either love it or hate it. The fact is that there are varying shades of gray in peoples' opinions about this piece. I haven't read a post from anyone who said that they absolutely did not like the sculpt at all, but still planned to order it. I have read posts from several people who aid they didn't like it as well as they had hoped they would, or it wasn't as good as they expected, but they still planned on ordering. That is very different from what you described.

Perhaps it is your own dislike for the piece that is biasing your perception of what others have said.

You assume too much my friend. You are putting words into my mouth as well. Never said anything about people "absolutely not liking the sculpt" at all. What I did say was that there seemed to be a feeling of disappointment and lots negative comments were made. Perhaps it is your fondness of the piece that is biasing your perception of what I and others have said.

Hurray for ctrl+v!! And thanks Josh for giving me this quote from Andy. From now on, every time someone starts complaining WHAMMY!!! ctrl+v :D

I understand as much as anyone how tempting/entertaining these photoshop touch-ups can be, although it's true that all the armchair quarterbacking doesn't always have the effect you might hope it does.

The truth is (speaking as a sculptor of these pieces), there is virtually no flaw you can point out that I'm not already brutally aware of. We've been studying and re-studying these likenesses for months before they are ever shown to the public, it's extremely rare that someone will notice something after viewing the figure for 5 minutes that we haven't already realized ourselves (again, I'm talking about the sculpture specifically, NOT the paint). The unfortunate fact of the matter is (most of the time) that there is only so much tweaking that can be done on any given piece, due to demands made by the production schedule and direction/revisions by the licensor. So, while many folks think they might be doing us a favor or "keeping us on our toes" by "fixing" all of our apparently sub-par work, in reality sometimes it feels more like re-inserting a knife into an open wound and twisting it around.

Don't get me wrong.... We make these products the absolute best that we possibly can. But this is an art form, and there's a saying about sculpture that I've always adhered to: "A sculpture is never finished, only abandoned". I believe Leonardo Da Vinci said that. The point is, a sculpture could be worked, and worked, and worked some more, until the end of time, and still not be perfect. We simply do the best we possibly can in the timeframe we're given. An individual figure doesn't earn as much profit for Sideshow as you might think, there is only so much R&D that can go into any given figure before it starts to literally lose money. Given those parameters (which every company in existence follows), I think Sideshow does a pretty bang-up job.

I don't mean to ramble.... And by all means, certainly keep up with all the photoshopping, overlaying, critiquing, etc, to your heart's desire. Your comments ARE extremely valuable. Just know that a little understanding of what goes into these things goes a long way. And if some of these fan-made suggestions don't always appear on the final product (like they did with Han, etc), don't take it to mean that we aren't paying attention or don't care. There are many, many factors involved that might prevent us from always being able to make further revisions on certain figures, but we'll certainly do our best to give you exactly what you want.

old entish said:
You assume too much my friend. You are putting words into my mouth as well. Never said anything about people "absolutely not liking the sculpt" at all. What I did say was that there seemed to be a feeling of disappointment and lots negative comments were made. Perhaps it is your fondness of the piece that is biasing your perception of what I and others have said.
I didn't put anything in your mouth at all. Look at what you wrote: "People say they don't like how it looks." That is a statement of absolutes. There is no gray area in that claim. Either you didn't think very well before typing that, or you meant exactly what I said you meant.

As for my fondness for the piece biasing my perception, of course it does. Can you admit your own bias as well?

Regarding the quote above:

Andy is a hell of a nice guy. Top knotch in my book. With that said, there's also a side that he didn't mention.

Take the 12" SS Luke for example. I thought that the eyes might've been a bit too wide open. Add the open mouth and I see Luke as a bit more scared or unsure of himself rather than determined (he went from a whiney little boy in ANH to being confident in ROTJ & that's what I'd have liked to have seen conveyed in the piece). **For the record, I love the piece. It's definitely Hamill**. When the pics 1st surfaced, I could adamantly voice my opinion here (respectfully of course) because I have no connection to the sculptor.

BUT...

If I were a SS employee & knew the sculptor and saw the hard work that went into the piece, I'd probably have a much harder time being objective than a complete stranger would. If the sculptor & I had a relationship, I'd probably unknowingly love what he'd show me because of our connection.

How do I know that this is so? Luke is my ALL TIME FAVORITE Jedi & he means A LOT TO ME! I'm emotionally connected to the character and ONLY want the best from him (which I KNOW only SS could do). When I see other characters though, (take any other Jedi, Anakin, Obi, Mace, etc) I see what others are complaining about... but I say "ehhh, its good enough for me". This is EXACTLY why Chris King continues to post about Vader. His love of Vader is SOO great, that it hurts him to see something come soo close that you could actually touch perfection.

People complain about 1/4 Frodo... but I see Frodo in both of the images above (altered & unaltered). I'm not the guy that Sideshow needs to please though. It's the Frodo fans that have concerns that Sideshow should be listening to. My opinion... progress shots should be shown as the piece gets made. If most agree that the 1/4 looks better with more curls, that should be adressed as the sculpt is getting made. Although I agree that 2000 chefs in the kitchen is way too many hands in 1 pot... there's also the added bonus that 1 of these 2000 fans will come up with a photoshopped image that would convey something that might improve upon the piece.

Having a piece come to as close to pure perfection as possible; at the end of it all... isn't that what we're ALL trying to get to?

Just my 2 bits worth.

*ss*

RoboDad said:
I didn't put anything in your mouth at all. Look at what you wrote: "People say they don't like how it looks." That is a statement of absolutes. There is no gray area in that claim. Either you didn't think very well before typing that, or you meant exactly what I said you meant.

As for my fondness for the piece biasing my perception, of course it does. Can you admit your own bias as well?

I simply restated what others have already posted. You commented about the sculpt itself, I never said people absolutley didn't like the sculpt. There are probably lots of reasons for people not liking it such as pose, paint, outfit, nameplate, base and the sculpt has certainly been mentioned as well. Again these are not my views,just what I have read in others posts. I never said it was crap or needs to be redone in anyway,just that I thought it looked better in some of the adjusted pics. Never said I'm right and you're wrong,just restated the opinions of many others. Do I think it could have been better? Yes. If I came across as bashing the sculptor then I am sorry as I have great respect for all artists work,that respect does'nt mean I have to like the piece. What it does mean to me is that I have a great appreciation for the amount of work that was put into it. While I realize that you can't please everyone (I even read negative comments about Lurtz which I think was a homerun). I feel (again from the posts that I read) that something could have been done to please more people. Sorry for rambling on and on.

I will most likely buy but waiting for the price to do the '29 crash makes the most since. The piece could be better and Sideshow will have Frodos dancing on the shelves by the thousands. Patience.

Back