PETITION FOR FRODO RESCULPT!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bullseye said:
Secondly do you really think Sideshow would be in business if people weren't buying their product.:confused:
No, they wouldn't. But the people who buy their products are customers, not investors. It is important for people to understand the difference between those concepts.

Bullseye said:
Thirdly i'm not looking for cotton wool treatment just a respect for peoples opinions including this petition. I think you will find that there are alot of Sideshow collectors who were hoping for better on this one. Whats the harm in looking for Sideshow to spend alittle more time on the face sculpt. This won't be out till Christmas at the very least.
As I already said, there is no harm in asking Sideshow to spend more time on this, or any other piece. What I have a problem with is making such a request in belligerent terms, or demanding that they do what someone wants, simply because a person thinks they deserve it. There is no entitlement here.

RoboDad said:
I agree, Beru. But unfortunately, even if the prototype has a perfect paint job, the ones that come from the factory in China will still look flat. They don't have the time or same level of talent to perfectly replicate the prototype paint job, so I have just learned to live with that aspect. To get the quality of paint job that we would love to see on production pieces would probably increase the cost by at least $50-100. And considering how many people are complaining about the price as it is, just imagine the deafening roar if it had been $350.

I understand what your saying about the level of the factories but isn't this piece produced directly by Sideshow itself in the US as a prototype?

I would rather pay an extra $100 for the Premium line just to have the likeness right, maybe i am expecting too much but this is the third attempt to get Frodo right and we are no closer. I think SS have done a marvelous job on Lurtz, Buffy looks great, the Bonds are great so it is achieveable.

Would the collectors of the premium line be really upset if this ships a couple of months later that the proposed shipping date?

RoboDad said:
I agree, Beru. But unfortunately, even if the prototype has a perfect paint job, the ones that come from the factory in China will still look flat. They don't have the time or same level of talent to perfectly replicate the prototype paint job, so I have just learned to live with that aspect. To get the quality of paint job that we would love to see on production pieces would probably increase the cost by at least $50-100. And considering how many people are complaining about the price as it is, just imagine the deafening roar if it had been $350.

Welp, if a company doesn't improve, surely other companies will come along to snip at their heals...gotta love capitalism in that regard. Imagine if a small company came along that really blew the lid off when it comes to capturing actors' likenesses...perhaps we'll see one in a couple of months ;)

RoboDad said:
As I already said, there is no harm in asking Sideshow to spend more time on this, or any other piece. What I have a problem with is making such a request in belligerent terms, or demanding that they do what someone wants, simply because a person thinks they deserve it. There is no entitlement here.

When i say 'I' i really mean 'we' as customers deserve to be heard. Sideshow can choose to listen and take on board or they can choose to listen and release as is. I ain't going to loose sleep over it but it can't do any harm to ask them.

daelith said:
Welp, if a company doesn't improve, surely other companies will come along to snip at their heals...gotta love capitalism in that regard. Imagine if a small company came along that really blew the lid off when it comes to capturing actors' likenesses...perhaps we'll see one in a couple of months ;)
Unless they have a license to produce the pieces, I wouldn't want to be in that company's shoes ;). But beyond that, you are absolutely correct, and that's just as it should be. Captialism works :D.

RoboDad said:
Unless they have a license to produce the pieces, I wouldn't want to be in that company's shoes ;). But beyond that, you are absolutely correct, and that's just as it should be. Captialism works :D.

Don't worry, I'm sure that company has already solicited legal advice from numerous sources =)

Bullseye said:
I understand what your saying about the level of the factories but isn't this piece produced directly by Sideshow itself in the US as a prototype?

I would rather pay an extra $100 for the Premium line just to have the likeness right, maybe i am expecting too much but this is the third attempt to get Frodo right and we are no closer. I think SS have done a marvelous job on Lurtz, Buffy looks great, the Bonds are great so it is achieveable.

Would the collectors of the premium line be really upset if this ships a couple of months later that the proposed shipping date?
Yes, the prototype is all done directly by Sideshow, and I already acknowledged that the paint application is less than perfect. My point was that even if the protoytpe paint is perfect, the mass-produced copies won't be. So, as you say, there is no point in losing sleep over the prototype paint job.

As far as Buffy goes, the sculpt is absolutely flawless, but even with that piece the paint is not quite right. Her eyebrows are just a bit too dark and heavy. But does it bother me enough to make me not order it when it comes up? Not a chance.

RoboDad said:
Yes, the prototype is all done directly by Sideshow, and I already acknowledged that the paint application is less than perfect. My point was that even if the protoytpe paint is perfect, the mass-produced copies won't be. So, as you say, there is no point in losing sleep over the prototype paint job.

As far as Buffy goes, the sculpt is absolutely flawless, but even with that piece the paint is not quite right. Her eyebrows are just a bit too dark and heavy. But does it bother me enough to make me not order it when it comes up? Not a chance.

Fair enough. All i am asking is that Sideshow spend alittle more time on this before they say right lets cast it. I feel though this won't happen as they need to get this out ASAP.

Darklord Dave said:
Saying that Mace "without question" needs bigger eyes is a misnomer because I, and it seems many others would disagree with that. And for such a subtle change that has been suggested, it is unlikely that ANYONE could judge such a thing without seeing the sculpt in person.

Um, if you want it to look more like SLJ, then yes, without question.

Same with Frodo and his wet hair. It may bug people more or less, or have a different effect on someone's purchase decision. But in terms of how much it resembles the source, there are certain things that aren't really debatable.

I do agree that seeing in person is a much different experience, but in my experience, flaws that you see in photos are still there. It's more like better lighting of the piece, and seeing it with your eyes, you notice other, more subtle details that improve the overall look of the piece. But the stuff that bugged you initially will still be there.

The pictures that we see are the final sculpt after it has been submitted and approved by the Licensor. They may have submitted it many, many times to Lucasfilm or New Line before it was finally approved. Sam Jackson may even have approval over his likeness and he might have had a hand in refinements to Mace. We don't know, but after months of development and back and forth with the licensor it is unlikely that the sculpt will change because of fan feedback. Which would start the whole process over again and delay the release of a product by months.

See, that's a lot of maybe's. I think if SS were a little more transparent about the process (if, indeed, they are legally allowed, for example) it would make their fans a lot more understanding, and certainly help curb a lot of what would then become pointless back-and-forth discussion. If we know that the original Frodo sculpt had better looking hair (or whatever), but New Line submitted revisions to make it more like what we have, then at least we know.

As far as delays, I don't think anyone would begrudge SS delaying a product if it meant making it that much better. A lot of collectors will have these displayed for years and years to come, so what's a few months? ;)

And admittedly being somewhat ignorant about the process, wouldn't it be possible to cast the "finished" sculpt out of clay, and then add or subtract from there, instead of starting from scratch?

Darth Rage said:
This may just be semantics and I think we may have seen this stated in regard to other pieces, but I just checked the order page and no where does it say "authentic license of Elijah Wood." On the Aragorn as Strider 12" page there is a quote, "Authentic likeness of Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn from The Fellowship of the Ring". Maybe it is just the way they advertise the 12" line, with "authentic likenees" as a standard tag line? The Luke pf states "The 17" Luke Skywalker figure is the most film-accurate representation of the character ever produced." so I think likeness is implied.

I don't know, just thought I would throw that out there.

Thanks for posting and clearing that up, that's interesting!

But clearly the piece is based on Elijah Wood as Frodo, and not "Frodo, the character from Tolkien" because then he'd be fatter and older looking. :D

Morris Fletcher said:
But clearly the piece is based on Elijah Wood as Frodo, and not "Frodo, the character from Tolkien" because then he'd be fatter and older looking. :D

Right- In the book, Frodo is in his fifties. Of course, those are Hobbit years, but still...

I am on fence about Frodo, I hope the face sculpt is modified before production.

The only petition I'd sign is one to see the original unpainted sculpt of Frodo by Mat Falls on the Production Blog. I really think that most of the problems with it is in the paint.

I think people will have a different reaction when they see it for themselves at SDCC this year. I'm sure Frodo will be in attendance.

The only reason I'm not pre-ordering is that I can't afford either the Star Wars or LOTR PF line right now with all of those 12" announcements.

But I have a feeling that this Frodo will be mine eventually.

I think the face sculpt is fine.

Check it out with a new "paint job" and more hair:

frodos0fd.jpg

Unfortunately SSC isn't going to come out and say, "Yeah, those S.O.B.s at New Line made us change it, it was perfect before!"

Just from a licensee/licensor relationship standpoint, that wouldn't really make sense.

And admittedly being somewhat ignorant about the process, wouldn't it be possible to cast the "finished" sculpt out of clay, and then add or subtract from there, instead of starting from scratch?

I wasn't referring to the actual resculpting itselt but the to-ing and fro-ing to the licensor to get the new sculpt approved.

And there's this conversation:

SSC: "We know you approved the Frodo likeness, but about 200 people on this fanboard thinks the sculpt needs work, so would you take a look at this revision we did?"

NL: *spits out coffee* "Wha?*

Well, hopefully we'll see the unpainted head on the Blog soon enough. That will end a good portion of the debate in one way or the other.

Back