PETITION FOR FRODO RESCULPT!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price is a little steep but I'm with asking sideshow to resculpt the face.
The costume and base are fantastic IMO. It would be shame to finalize this statue when it's sooooo close to creating the best Frodo statue ever created. :frodo

The face is stylized. I can see how some might not like the sytle, but that doesn't make it a bad sculpt. I got no problem with it.

Darklord Dave said:
Like Star Wars the actors in LotR signed all likeness rights away. I think this statement from Viggo is an urban legend.

I remember people wondering why Toy Biz's Aragorns had bad likenesses. They said Viggo didn't give his likeness rights away since he thought it was voodoo or some crazy nonsense. LOL:wacky

No need to resculpt it IMO. Just don't buy it if you don't like the likeness or the pose or the equipment. I will pass on this one because I was not impressed when I saw it. At this price, I will only buy a piece when my eyes and heart go wild (like when I saw Lurtz :bounce ).
Concerning the likeness, maybe it is just becoming a little harder than before to impress us after all the statues and busts we've seen and sometimes bought. I can understand that those who want to collect it all would like each piece to be outstanding but IMO this will not happen. Just respect the sculptor. Just my thoughts.

I really dont understand the fuss. Maybe Im completely seeing this another way. Because I LOVE the sculpt and think it captures the character perfectly. I think it looks just like Wood, but even if it didnt thats not whats most important to me with a lotr figure/statue. Its that the essense of the character is captured as it would be in the book. Thats my two cents.:D

If you are planning on collecting the entire line as I am i think you are entitled to have your view on the sculpt. I like 90% of the sculpt of Frodo, but that 10% of Frodo the face looks nothing like Elijah Woods. If you are creating a line of LoTR based on artists interpretations then fine, but if it is based on likeness then it is not fine. $250 plus shipping plus taxes will push this above $300 at least. For that money i would like a good likeness.

Is there a silent majority on this forum who are afraid to stand up to the school yard bullies on this forum. Where are the MODs to protect their opinion. I for one won't be bullied by people with little or no respect for others. Investment IMO comes from many sourses, one being from customers who purchase their product. Sideshow for the most part listen and appreciate customer feedback and I'm sure Matt Falls the sculptor is big enough to take critique on the chin or he wouldn't be in the position he is in today.

There is no doubt in my mind Sideshow have the people to get Frodo's likeness right. So its released a couple of months later than it should have been. I'm all for perfection my dollars deserve it.

Bullseye said:
If you are planning on collecting the entire line as I am i think you are entitled to have your view on the sculpt. I like 90% of the sculpt of Frodo, but that 10% of Frodo the face looks nothing like Elijah Woods. If you are creating a line of LoTR based on artists interpretations then fine, but if it is based on likeness then it is not fine. $250 plus shipping plus taxes will push this above $300 at least. For that money i would like a good likeness.

Is there a silent majority on this forum who are afraid to stand up to the school yard bullies on this forum. Where are the MODs to protect their opinion. I for one won't be bullied by people with little or no respect for others. Investment IMO comes from many sourses, one being from customers who purchase their product. Sideshow for the most part listen and appreciate customer feedback and I'm sure Matt Falls the sculptor is big enough to take critique on the chin or he wouldn't be in the position he is in today.

There is no doubt in my mind Sideshow have the people to get Frodo's likeness right. So its released a couple of months later than it should have been. I'm all for perfection my dollars deserve it.

Great post.

I love discussing everyones views on pieces.

I only want to say.

Sideshow take your time to sculpt high quality products.
I don't care to wait a few months longer.

The longer we wait (like Sauron) the best wil be the end product for us.

It's not spot on but I like it well enough. But if a resculpt is what people want I can support that... as long as it's a change for the good of course :p
However I don't want to take for granted that sideshow might acually listen to us; they're a great company and the fact thàt they will listen is a privilege to us collectors.

Have we not seen SS put a statue up for sale and then the
final product sculpt look different or improved upon? So not sure
stating what you see is what you get would be a correct comment.
I think Matt could change this if SS concurred since we're talking Q4.

Also does anyone know if the mithril shirt is there?....and could SS show
a PIC of the ring on the chain?

I dont think the sculp is that bad, it just seems expectation are super high, and I'm glad I'm not a SS sculptor because they get hammered. But I would like to the sculpt unpainted before asking for a re-sculpt. I wonder what the edition size is being a 2 piece limit, and being a high priced PF thats the problem. The value is going to go way down.

This may just be semantics and I think we may have seen this stated in regard to other pieces, but I just checked the order page and no where does it say "authentic license of Elijah Wood." On the Aragorn as Strider 12" page there is a quote, "Authentic likeness of Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn from The Fellowship of the Ring". Maybe it is just the way they advertise the 12" line, with "authentic likenees" as a standard tag line? The Luke pf states "The 17" Luke Skywalker figure is the most film-accurate representation of the character ever produced." so I think likeness is implied.

I don't know, just thought I would throw that out there.

I don't know about the majority of collectors out there, but the weak point with the SS items IMO is the paint. If Frodo had a decent paintjob on his face, it would be spot on, at least a very good likeness. As it is pictured, the face is just flat with no life in it at all. I'd rather see a repaint then a new sculpt. I think the sculpt is just great, but the paint is the problem.

vote with your dollars folks...

in this case, if you hate it don't preorder just for the sake of doing so and then cancel it.

this is the best way to let SS how you feel.

Bullseye said:
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I haven't read a single, solitary post that has claimed otherwise. If you aren't happy with the piece, by all means let Sideshow know, and if they don't correct it to your satisfaction, then don't buy it. But it sounds to me more like you are upset that there are actually people who don't share your opinion. How dare anyone actually like this sculpt?!?

I am planning to collect this entire line, and I am happy with the sculpt as it is. Sorry if that creates a problem for you, but that's life.

Bullseye said:
Schoolyard bullies?? That is really a stretch. I get really tired of all of the PC garbage that gets bandied about these days. It isn't the moderators job to protect peoples' opinions. If there is a personal attack, then they should step in. But if there is a disagreement of opinion, who is to say which one is right, and which is wrong?

And frankly, I don't care that you have the opinion that purchasing a product makes you an investor in a company. Try using that as a reason to attend a design meeting at Sideshow, and you'll find out just how mistaken you are.

Bullseye said:
No, your dollars deserve to either buy a piece you are happy with, or to be spent elsewhere. Nothing more, nothing less.

RoboDad said:
Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I haven't read a single, solitary post that has claimed otherwise. If you aren't happy with the piece, by all means let Sideshow know, and if they don't correct it to your satisfaction, then don't buy it. But it sounds to me more like you are upset that there are actually people who don't share your opinion. How dare anyone actually like this sculpt?!?

I am planning to collect this entire line, and I am happy with the sculpt as it is. Sorry if that creates a problem for you, but that's life.

Schoolyard bullies?? That is really a stretch. I get really tired of all of the PC garbage that gets bandied about these days. It isn't the moderators job to protect peoples' opinions. If there is a personal attack, then they should step in. But if there is a disagreement of opinion, who is to say which one is right, and which is wrong?

And frankly, I don't care that you have the opinion that purchasing a product makes you an investor in a company. Try using that as a reason to attend a design meeting at Sideshow, and you'll find out just how mistaken you are.

No, your dollars deserve to either buy a piece you are happy with, or to be spent elsewhere. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have no problem with people liking this sculpt. If you read my post on other sections you will note that indeed i do like the sculpt overall. I have ordered the sculpt. Lurtz is on another level to Frodo IMO and i was hoping that the level of Lurtz would have been continued which it hasn't been with Frodo.

Secondly do you really think Sideshow would be in business if people weren't buying their product.:confused:

Thirdly i'm not looking for cotton wool treatment just a respect for peoples opinions including this petition. I think you will find that there are alot of Sideshow collectors who were hoping for better on this one. Whats the harm in looking for Sideshow to spend alittle more time on the face sculpt. This won't be out till Christmas at the very least.

Beruthiel said:
I don't know about the majority of collectors out there, but the weak point with the SS items IMO is the paint. If Frodo had a decent paintjob on his face, it would be spot on, at least a very good likeness. As it is pictured, the face is just flat with no life in it at all. I'd rather see a repaint then a new sculpt. I think the sculpt is just great, but the paint is the problem.
I agree, Beru. But unfortunately, even if the prototype has a perfect paint job, the ones that come from the factory in China will still look flat. They don't have the time or same level of talent to perfectly replicate the prototype paint job, so I have just learned to live with that aspect. To get the quality of paint job that we would love to see on production pieces would probably increase the cost by at least $50-100. And considering how many people are complaining about the price as it is, just imagine the deafening roar if it had been $350.

Back