Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my 10 yr old son to see it tonight.
I read the first book along with him and Dave hit the nail on the head about it being more juvenile fare.
For anyone who is expecting classic Greek mythology you will be greatly disappointed. However, it has been an uphill battle getting my son to read books with actual chapters, but he has gobbled these up ravenously.
The side benefit for me is that he is actually taking an interest in the traditional myths as well.
Ok, the film bears little resemblance to the plot in the book. Some key characters and elements are missing. The missing parts play key roles in the sequels so its as if they figured the movie would be a one shot.
The other thing that bugged me is that the boy playing Percy Jackson is considerably younger than the woman playing opposite him who is supposed to be the same age.
The effects are impressive and the characters are ok, but they never really develop well and the story seems rushed.
I predict he will watch this DVD over and over again, but I'm hoping the new Clash Of The Titans will prove more captivating.

I thought Uma was great and I thought how they handled Hades was fun and kept the spirit of the book. I can understand why they simplified the motivation of the villain, I think it could be addressed in subsequent films.

And I have to say that I really liked the girl who played Annabeth - she's definitely got a future in film.

book spoilers
Spoiler Spoiler:

saw this movie on saturday night. really enjoyed it but it really did feel like they were not thinking this was going to be a series of movies. i do agree with Darklord in thinking they could rectify it if they decide to make the other movies

couple of things i didnt like was
Spoiler Spoiler:

points i could live without in a one-shot movie but i think would make it hard for sequels since they were repeating themes in the books

was kinda disapointed by this film. never read the books but i was expecting something a bit more, was alright tho not great.

Same here. To those who've read the books: are they worth the time??? Someone told me they were definitely kids books and not really something adults can stomach.

Same here. To those who've read the books: are they worth the time??? Someone told me they were definitely kids books and not really something adults can stomach.

They aren't Harry Potter and do seem a bit juvenile - but they're quick reads and can be fun.

Back