People taking video gaming a little too seriously.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as well as the obese Olympics & the gathering of hermit's where no one attends

Wrong.

World Cyber Games

MLG - Major League Gaming

ESPN covers competitive video gaming

This isn't the 80's or 90's. Video gaming competitions and major league gaming arenas draw a lot more people than you might think, and not of the type you're so quick to think of. It's not a few sweaty people gathered around a Street Fighter machine in the basement of some pizza parlor - there's a lot of money at stake, sponsorships, and fans of the female variety (but only for Koreans who are REALLY good at Starcraft.)

You know, one would think that given how mainstream and ubiquitous gaming has become in the U.S. (and across the globe), the idea of competitive gaming wouldn't evoke the image of the stereotypical gamer (overweight and with social problems).

The notion of VG's in the Olympics isn't so far-reached, although it does have it's detractors and nay-sayers. Most don't consider gaming a sport (although most can't think of a good reason why.)

I'm not saying it's a sport like football is a sport, but by definition competitive gaming certainly fits. It's the post-modern sport for non-traditionalists.

If billiards is a sport (yes, it's considered a "cue sport"), why shouldn't competitive VG be considered one?

Last edited:
I think mouthy little kids are the worst especially when they throw racist remarks out there. I once thought about creating a blog and listing all the gamertags of people who throw racist descriminatory remarks around on xbox live, PSN and forums just to see how big the list got.
People become emboldened when they can remain anonymous and void of any retaliation to what they say or type. They would never say any of the stuff that you hear online to a persons face.

You should do that! It would be a nice social experiment and wake up call to all those who don't think its out there.

You should do that! It would be a nice social experiment and wake up call to all those who don't think its out there.

I don't think we need a wake up call. I think parents need to be more aware of what their little brats are doing. I know it is some adults too but the majority of it is from the little rug rats.

I'm not saying it's a sport like football is a sport, but by definition competitive gaming can certainly fits. It's the post-modern sport for non-traditionalists.

If billiards is a sport (yes, it's considered a "cue sport"), why shouldn't competitive VG be considered one?

Check this out, it is a list of recognised sports in the Olympics:
https://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/index_uk.asp
If chess is a sport then VG's could be considered an Olympic sport/event as well.

yeah....I'll say I'm wrong when you win the gold olympic medal for shoot em up's :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

:rotfl:rotfl just make sure your in the stands because I want to see your face when I am pinned the Olympic Gold Medal Champion for the 200K FPS event. :winner Plus you can be my sexy :ccheerlea

Video games are exactly that....games. Not even close to being a "sport".

Video games are exactly that....games. Not even close to being a "sport".

And sports are essentially games. Argue the semantics if you'd like, but there's no valid reason why video games can't be considered sport, quoted term or not.

The only reason why people consider the "video games not a sport" notion is because of a hundred years (in modernity) of tradition. Video games have only been around for 25 years, give or take, and even less in its mature form.

Well by your argument then playing Monopoly is a sport as well? IMO there is a line between playing a sport and sitting on your ass.

Monopoly? debatable but unlikely. But chess considered a sport, poker is considered a sport - what are the fundamental differences between those two activities and video games? Also, video games aren't limited as an activity in which you sit on your ass any longer.

So where is that reasonable and incorrigible reason for why VG cannot be a sport? I want to hear it.

This is all opinion subjective. That said, IMO sitting on your ass and getting "Nintendo thumb" ( as it used to be known ) is not playing a sport. It's sitting on your ass playing games which is NO different than playing Monopoly.

Getting up and playing Basketball, Football, Hockey, Tennis, Soccer ( the list goes on ) is IMO thought of as playing "sports".

Sports generally are though of as taking part in a physical activity where competition is involved. Not sitting on your butt pushing buttons.

And to add - Poker is not a sport either IMO.

I don't consider gaming a sport or gamers athletes. I like playing video games but its nothing like when I go play basketball.

Before I got fat I kicked ass at football. I sucked at hockey though...couldn't skate for crap. Was pretty good at soccer too. I had great reflexes as a goalie.

This is all opinion subjective. That said, IMO sitting on your ass and getting "Nintendo thumb" ( as it used to be known ) is not playing a sport. It's sitting on your ass playing games which is NO different than playing Monopoly.

Getting up and playing Basketball, Football, Hockey, Tennis, Soccer ( the list goes on ) is IMO thought of as playing "sports".

Sports generally are though of as taking part in a physical activity where competition is involved. Not sitting on your butt pushing buttons.

And to add - Poker is not a sport either IMO.

You don't have to ring up a list of sports, I know what's considered in modern times as "sports." I've already stated that video gaming shouldn't be thought of as in the same category as football, hockey, etc. but is still a sport nonetheless, even if it doesn't fit the American denotative (and widely accepted) definition of "sports", not "sport".

Also, I guess ESPN covers poker because it's not a sport. :rolleyes: radical thinking, I know.

You said right, it's all subjective opinion, and going any further is quite pointless.

You don't have to ring up a list of sports, I know what's considered in modern times as "sports." I've already stated that video gaming shouldn't be thought of as in the same category as football, hockey, etc. but is still a sport nonetheless, even if it doesn't fit the American denotative (and widely accepted) definition of "sports", not "sport".

Also, I guess ESPN covers poker because it's not a sport. :rolleyes: radical thinking, I know.You said right, it's all subjective opinion, and going any further is quite pointless.

ESPN covers dog shows and spelling bee's.....sports?:rolleyes:

Back