PayPal scammers getting smarter! Please read!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Migwit

Imbued with Mad Skills
Reaction score
I posted this in "Other Discussion", but wanted to get the word out as much as possible:

Just wanted to throw out a warning to folks about a new PayPal scam, and I got one today! The email comes in the form of a "PayPal payment receipt" and basically says "This is to confirm you (your email address) have paid (fill in the name of the seller) $XX.XX using PayPal."

Then there are some bogus 'payment' details, including the item purchased, amount, eBay item number, etc. (looks pretty much like the real thing).

After this, is a sneaky little sentence that says "If you haven't authorized this charge, click on the link below to dispute transaction and get full refund.", then there's a 'link' that LOOKS like it's the paypal.com link.

I forwarded this to [email protected], and they almost immediately confirmed that this was a bogus email. I'd already figured this out, but believe me my blood pressure went up when I first saw the scam email because my FIRST thought was "Oh, no, someone's broken into my PayPal account and is buying stuff with my credit card!" My finger hovered for the briefest instant on that bogus link, then I also noticed how the email was addressed (not to my real name, only to my email account, which PayPal does not do), and also when I get payment receipts from PayPal, they show they're from [email protected]. This email said it was from [email protected].

Please be careful out there! This is a new and different tactic to scam us!!

Thanks for the heads up Migwit. :rock

We can never have enough cautions when it comes to the lovely world of the net. Sadly I've fallen victim to two ebay spoofs in the past. My account was hijacked then had the account frozen etc etc. It was a mess! Although those low-life jerks never cease to amaze me! Ive gotten some spoofs supposedly from CitiBank, ebay of course, and yes even paypal. I second Migwit, be careful!

I've gotten emails like this for over a year, about 1 every 4 to 5 weeks.

The best thing to do to protect yourself from this and all paypal spoof letters is to NEVER click on any links in the letter. Always go to paypal.com and log into your account. Then check your account status. If the info in the letter doesn't match the info on your account page then the letter is a spoof letter.

Remember to always forward the letter to [email protected]. If you don't, Paypal can't go after these punks.

I have actually recieved two of these over the last couple of months...I contacted Pay Pal and they said there are many of these going out...ALL my paypal emails have my first and last name in them so when I got one for "paypal customer" I though that was a little fishey...All you have to do is close it and DONT click on ANY links in the email!!!

I've gotten lots of scam PayPal emails, but so far they've all been "Your account will be terminated unless you update your account info". I've never seen one come in the form of a PayPal payment receipt. Guess it's really an "old" scam, then, if Bonehead's been getting these for a while! :eek:

In any event, in case anyone out there hasn't seen this FORM of PayPal scam, please beware!! :monkey3

Migwit said:
I've gotten lots of scam PayPal emails, but so far they've all been "Your account will be terminated unless you update your account info". I've never seen one come in the form of a PayPal payment receipt. Guess it's really an "old" scam, then, if Bonehead's been getting these for a while! :eek:

In any event, in case anyone out there hasn't seen this FORM of PayPal scam, please beware!! :monkey3

Yep, I got that one two weeks ago. Lot of lousy people out there.

Migwit said:

I've gotten ones simaler to that..They say "your paypal account is out of date and you need to update your password before it expires"...then theres some bogus link that you click on, put in your current password and BOOM youve been had!!!!

Just remember everyone to not click on any links in any Paypal related emails.

I've gotten lots of scam PayPal emails, but so far they've all been "Your account will be terminated unless you update your account info".

I've gotten those too. :mad:

I've gotten ones simaler to that..They say "your paypal account is out of date and you need to update your password before it expires"...then theres some bogus link that you click on, put in your current password and BOOM youve been had!!!!

That's why you never click on any links in any Paypal, or for that matter ebay related, letters.

I neer click on any links at all--I always close out the e-mail and open up a new Internet Explorer window and go to the site. It's amazing how often you get these scams sent to you.

I have been getting these for about 6 months now. I also get an Ebay contact looking email saying that if I don't honor my bid and pay that I will be reported as a non paying bidder.

The one that actually caught me off guard and got me to click and enter my info was the one that invited me to become a powerseller. I get them legitimatly from Ebay once a month or so this was not unusuall. I clicked on it being curious what the program entailed and then entered my EBay info. It immediatly went to an error screen. I than had a flash of common sense and checked the location of the link in the email and sure enough it was from Russia. I changed my password in about 30 seconds with no problems. Just goes to show you, just one time being tired or not paying attention can do it.

Jesse

I've been getting these sort of emails for about a year now. The only thing I can do is mark them as "spam" and hope it'll reduce the amount sent to me. But thanks for the heads-up!

All your messages from eBay/Paypal will be in your "My Messages" at "My Ebay," so check there if you ever receive anything from them to confirm.

Also, if you use Firefox they have an extension called SpoofStick that will show you the actual site you're on at the top of your browser. Plus it looks cool. :)

Unique Soul said:
All your messages from eBay/Paypal will be in your "My Messages" at "My Ebay," so check there if you ever receive anything from them to confirm.
That's very good advice. Never open anything in email. If it's real it'll be in "My Messages".

Actually, all the advice given here is great. I was a victim of identity theft two years ago (not through ebay) and if someone gets hold of your info (SS, CC, pin numbers, passwords, ect.), it can be a nightmare to get things straightened out. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

My finger hovered for the briefest instant on that bogus link

it's tempting but like others say just NEVER EVER EVER click on one of those links. ALWAYS go to the website in a new browser window and check your acct. Even eBay will have any email they sent you in the my messages folder. I can't imagine how many people get scammed by this. paypal and ebay should send out regular DON'T CLICK LINKS IN ANY EMAIL FROM US emails.

Jesseawilson said:
I have been getting these for about 6 months now. I also get an Ebay contact looking email saying that if I don't honor my bid and pay that I will be reported as a non paying bidder.

The one that actually caught me off guard and got me to click and enter my info was the one that invited me to become a powerseller.

Jesse

I fell for the powerseller email :monkey4 It was late on a friday night at the beginning of January and I stupidly entered my log in info. The next day I had no access and was selling 3 lots of mobile phones I never knew I had :eek: After 2 frantic hours in front of the computer and a couple of calls, I got my account back. Nowadays I keep getting ebay emails either asking me for a Buy it now price or threatening me with the police. :confused: Needless to say after my experience EVERY email is treated verrrrry carefully.

Back