Paypal question - may be EU specific

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a-dev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone else (sellers in particular) gotten this message upon logging in to paypal?

"you have received 1,800euro or more in total payments to your paypal account in this calendar year and are therefore approaching our annual receiving limit of 2,500euro. Paypal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations by collecting information from customers when they reach this limit. Please go to the resolution centre for more information on what you need to do"

They ask for copies of a valid photo ID such as passport, driving license etc, a proof of address such as a bank statement or credit card statement

They want me to fax them these copies or use an upload feature they have and I'm told I have 130 or so days to do this before my account becomes restricted.

It was probably part of the paypal terms and conditions that we all skim through, but just wondering.

Had the same problem. Just do it as they say and provide them with all your Id and information.
Then everything will turn out the right way. I did the same and after a month or so, my account was perfectly alright.

I recommend you to stop getting paid so much money via PayPal. They suck and they are a pain in the ass. Just use PayPal for making payments and not for receiving payments.
And try not to reach the 2,500 limit. I think that's where the real hell will start.

Hope this helps.

Edit: When you are an official seller you have to pay tax to the government if you receive too much money via PayPal. (Limit 2,500)

Had the same thing happen to me. Just give them the info they need and your account get's upgraded to Business, i think.

Had the same problem. Just do it as they say and provide them with all your Id and information.
Then everything will turn out the right way. I did the same and after a month or so, my account was perfectly alright.

I recommend you to stop getting paid so much money via PayPal. They suck and they are a pain in the ass. Just use PayPal for making payments and not for receiving payments.
And try not to reach the 2,500 limit. I think that's where the real hell will start.

Hope this helps.

Edit: When you are an official seller you have to pay tax to the government if you receive too much money via PayPal. (Limit 2,500)

I could do with reaching that amount though. Need to wipe out my debt and hopefully have more to spare. How bad is this tax? Does paypal extract it on the governents behalf from individual sales or do I receive a bill in the post or what?

I've never taken any other kind of payment before, I'd prefer to stick with what I know...like a Hamster, I don't like change!

Last edited:
As for providing them the info, would taking clear photographs of the items they need and uploading them be acceptable to them d'you reckon? Faxing is something else I've never done before.

As for providing them the info, would taking clear photographs of the items they need and uploading them be acceptable to them d'you reckon? Faxing is something else I've never done before.

I scanned my passport and e-mailed it. But if you can't do that, a good pic of it would do.

Thanks. Any drawbacks to your account being a business account now? Mexx mentioned a government tax. Has this bothered you greatly?

I havnt noticed any changes at all. From my understanding, i would just be able to send and receive more money then with a regular account.

I don't know how high the goverment tax is. They've just send me an email and told me that I have to pay a certain tax if I exceed the limit of 2,500. I told them that I won't exceed the limit and gave them my ID and the necessery information. Since then I've stopped receiving payment from customers via PayPal.

Thanks for the response.

Well to be honest, I may forge ahead regardless. I only sell on SSF and paypal is the primary means of payment for most people here. I don't want to make things awkward and maybe reduce my potential customer base.

I think I'll contact paypal though and see what the story is.

You never want to email your passport or any important information like a social security number. All emails are public record and easily obtainable from outside parties.

Thanks, though I wasn't saying I was going to email this stuff. I was going to ask them if they'd accept my expired passport as proof of ID and save me having to get a new right at this moment.

They ask me to fax these things or theres also a clickable ''upload files'' button so I presume its safe to do that? Now this isn't a link in an email its actually after I've logged into the paypal site.

This is a pain in the hole.

As I could do with not spending the guts of 100euro getting a passport right now I thought I'd ask if they'd accept my birth cert. They would, along with a government-issued document like a tax cert with my name and address. So I go find one...but its my old ****ing address. I try to get a new one with my current address, the one that paypal has, and it seems I can't and in addition the accountant regards it with some suspicion that paypal is looking for this information. WTF.

I can give them my birth cert and credit card statements with my name and address. Why the **** isn't that enough.

Back