Paypal payment as gift not protected

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo customz

Super Freak
Reaction score
just wanted all to know this info ------------------
i had a payment sent to me as gift a month ago now the buyer has claimed that he did not pay and that is was unauthorized and now paypal has reversed the payment-------
paypal told me the payments sent as gift has no sellers protection at all-----------------------now i am screwed--the buyer has the items and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...
this started a month ago----i provided all info to paypal and it did not matter at all...............................
so i am now 1000% done with paypal-------------------------

Last edited:
just wanted all to know this info ------------------
i had a payment sent to me as gift a month ago now the buyer has claimed that he did not pay and that is was unauthorized and now paypal has reversed the payment-------
paypal told me the payments sent as gift has no sellers protection at all-----------------------now i am screwed--the buyer has the item and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...
this started a month ago----i provided all info to paypal and it not matter at all...............................
so i am now 1000% done with paypal-------------------------

Was this an eBay transaction or off? Is he from this board?

Can't you talk with the police or something?

i am looking into that------
these were for 7 hot toys $1750.00...........now this scumbag has them all and the CASH, whats sucks is that i advised paypal i had the video showing the buyer, wittiness, and even a email from the buyer who once i told him i had him on video SAID he was not making the claim, forwarded all to paypal----
what PAYPAL said was that if sent as gift NOT COVERED..............

you tried to screw the system by not paying fees, now paypal says screw you. NEVER send or receive as a gift. eat the fees and be protected. you gambled and lost! btw, in person transactions are not covered because there's no record of the transaction being completed according to what paypal requires to be covered. signature delivery with tracking to a paypal confirmed address. live and learn.

you tried to screw the system by not paying fees, now paypal says screw you. NEVER send or receive as a gift. eat the fees and be protected. you gambled and lost! btw, in person transactions are not covered because there's no record of the transaction being completed according to what paypal requires to be covered. signature delivery with tracking to a paypal confirmed address. live and learn.

how did i screw the system............they got paid------the buyer paid it the fees-------------

Isn't it the case that if the buyer pays as gift there are no fees involved for either party? Thusly, no, paypal wouldn't be getting anything.

how did i screw the system............they got paid------the buyer paid it the fees-------------

the receiver is supposed to pay the fees based on the amount received. that would be around $52.50 @ 3%.

when you claim it was a gift, there is no transaction to verify. all they see is you as the recipient of a disputed gift.

all this is moot anyway because the transaction was in person. WHY didn't you get CASH at the time of the exchange? :slap

I guess that's why it is called a "Gift"

because there is no real transaction?..........

but yes, paying as gift means the person sending the money gets stuck with the fees. So whether you pay regularly or as a gift there will be fees involved.

This story just gets weirder and weirder lol. I was going to ask the same thing Darkmatter asked about asking for the money In Person.

crows ..... sending as gift neither side incurs ANY fee .... Buyer OR Seller, its a way of cheating the Paypal system. I send you $1000 out of my Paypal account as a gift, Paypal takes the $1000 out of my account and puts $1000 into yours netting $0 profit. NO FEES ARE INVOLVED WITH A GIFT.

And gota ask for Cash if there was a transaction face to face, not sure why you wouldnt insist on cash. Thats almost as bad as letting the guy give you a personal check in person and letting him leave without verifying funds. In any event I hope you get your money for the items, I would also go to the nearest police station and see what they can do .....I am a Federal Agent and this sounds like it may even qualify as Bank/Wire fraud and at the very least theft. If you have all his emails and a video the dude is done .....

crows ..... sending as gift neither side incurs ANY fee .... Buyer OR Seller, its a way of cheating the Paypal system. I send you $1000 out of my Paypal account as a gift, Paypal takes the $1000 out of my account and puts $1000 into yours netting $0 profit. NO FEES ARE INVOLVED WITH A GIFT.

And gota ask for Cash if there was a transaction face to face, not sure why you wouldnt insist on cash. Thats almost as bad as letting the guy give you a personal check in person and letting him leave without verifying funds. In any event I hope you get your money for the items, I would also go to the nearest police station and see what they can do .....I am a Federal Agent and this sounds like it may even qualify as Bank/Wire fraud and at the very least theft. If you have all his emails and a video the dude is done .....

nope, not true at all.

I have tried sending people money as a gift and I had to pay the free myself.
Already have paid the free at least 4 times. And I wasn't even buying anything, these were ACTUAL gifts to people.

Paypal still stuck me with their bill. So, I don't know.

i am looking into that------
these were for 7 hot toys $1750.00...........now this scumbag has them all and the CASH, whats sucks is that i advised paypal i had the video showing the buyer, wittiness, and even a email from the buyer who once i told him i had him on video SAID he was not making the claim, forwarded all to paypal----
what PAYPAL said was that if sent as gift NOT COVERED..............

Have you contacted him since paypal gave the money back? He can't keep both or it's theft. Do you still have his phone number and address?

Not true. One has to pay the fees now. They changed the rules.

nope, not true at all.

I have tried sending people money as a gift and I had to pay the free myself.
Already have paid the free at least 4 times. And I wasn't even buying anything, these were ACTUAL gifts to people.

Paypal still stuck me with their bill. So, I don't know.

here ya go! it depends on the source of payment.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

selling fees

Sales within the US: 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction.

money transfer fees (gifts)

PayPal balance or bank account: Free when sending money inside the US.

Debit/Credit card fee: 2.9% of total amount sent plus $0.30 per transaction (the sender decides who pays this fee).

Outside the US: Small fee of 0.5% to 2% (depends on destination) when fully funded with bank account or PayPal balance. 3.4% to 3.9% if paying with a credit or debit card.

It is stupid to ever use "gift" as an option in a transaction unless it is, you know, an actual GIFT. Lesson learned I guess.

When I sell stuff my prices assume you are paying the normal way (NOT A GIFT).

I hate it when people add the 3% after you agreed to buy it... "oh by the way gift or you pay the fees" Next time maybe I will do a gift when buying something... seems I'm still covered there as the buyer.

Anyways sounds like it's best to take cash when it's local pickup but I'd be weary of meeting someone with 1750 in cash.

Back