Paypal account problem, I need help!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent0028

Inebriated
Reaction score
Okay, this morning when I signed on-line in my spam folder I had an e-mail from [email protected] saying that there had been unauthorized credit card use on my paypal account and a link to . The only problem is I don't remember ever setting up a paypal account. Does it make any sense for someone to create a paypal account using someone else's e-mail address? I don't have any clue how paypal works or anything. So what do y'all think, some sort of scam that will give me a virus if I click the link? Any ideas what might be going on and whether I should be worried?

I had the same thing, just delete it or report it to paypal...don't click on it, may be a virus or sometimes it is a way for someone to steal your username and password to get access to your account.

NEVER EVER, EVER click on links in emails from unknown sources or for emails you are suspicious of. Most places, including many banks, eBay, and PayPal will address you by NAME in emails, and never ask for account information or passwords, etc. through email. And as an added precaution, if you do get an email from a bank, eBay or PayPal that requires attention, don't use the links in the email, but login to your account normally through a web browser as you always would; the item requiring attention should be reachable that way just as easily.

One last tip... NEVER!!!

it's called phishing. they are basically trolling for your information to scam you. i think you can report it to paypal.

Exactly what they said, they have even got better hiding this. When you click the link it takes you to paypal but then redirects you to the fake site. Then you type in your username and password, now they have it.

Like lcummins said ALWAYS go directly to the site if you get one of those emails NEVER click the link in the email.

Last if its in your spam folder most likely thats what it is.

the site it takes you to looks EXACTLY like the PayPal site but it is NOT. it will get you to type in your login/password and other personal info, which it will store. it's a scam.

These scams make me so mad.:mad: I get several of these a month that look like ebay sent them and a couple that look like paypal sent them.

Wish I could reach thru the monitor and ring whoevers scrawny little neck is sending them to me or better yet, sic ol' pyg18, my legal advisor, on them.:D

Okay, thanks guys, I figured it was prolly phishing, but I didn't know if maybe there might be something more nefarious to be concerned about. I never knew the scams could be so sophisticated, if it weren't for the fact I don't have a paypal account I might have fallen for it. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle, right? :lol

Cocoboloboy said:
or better yet, sic ol' pyg18, my legal advisor, on them.:D

hee hee.

Definately what everyone has said, never ever click on those links, for your own safety

Personally I would report the email to Paypal and they will tell you if its one of theirs or not, but sign on independently,not through the link on that email.

Hope it works out
Shell
x

I get a few of these every once in a while.

Just forward them to [email protected] .

Ebay also has a spoof address to forward these letters to at spoof @ebay.com .

If you are at all worried about your Paypal or Ebay account, go the site and log in manually don't click on any of the links in those letters. If there is a real problem with your account, Paypal or Ebay will give you a notice once you log in.

I don't know how other computers are set up but on mine if you move your mouse over the links it shows where its going to lead too at the bottom of my screen so you can tell they don't lead anywhere close to an ebay or paypal site.

Sometimes I get a couple of these emails a week. They always go to the same place, my junk email. I don't think one of those emails has made it to my inbox in a while.

best thing to do in cases like this, as well as what's mentioned above, is to type the genuine URL in the address box (say, www.paypal.com) and then go to your account from there. If there are any real problems then you will be able to view them safely there.

P.S. I know you mentioned that you didn't have a Paypal account but just thought I would use that as an example.....

Back