Patriotism.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not even close to what I said. But do what you want with it, whatever makes you happy. :)

Personally, as much as I love America's entrepreneurial spirit, I'm very happy to be living in laid-back Australia. But that has its downsides too, namely a tendency to be overly satisfied with the way things are and not strive for our potential in many areas.

Sums me up as an individual.

Oddly enough, many students native to China and India would agree with you absolutely. That math and science (as admirable as those pursuits may be) are definitely cookie cutter. But as an American Chinese I consider that following my dreams.
Then that's the best of both worlds for you! You can do what you love, and still do what's in demand and will pay well. I hope my kids end up feeling the same way, because if they go into the social sciences like their parents, I'll be living out my last days in the low rent retirement home! :lol But I knew quite a few Chinese students (born and raised in China) here who didn't feel that way. They just felt an obligation to get these jobs, and didn't seem to have an intrinsic motivation for it. But by and large these guys are very driven and actually harder working than the average American student.

Then that's the best of both worlds for you! You can do what you love, and still do what's in demand and will pay well. I hope my kids end up feeling the same way, because if they go into the social sciences like their parents, I'll be living out my last days in the low rent retirement home! :lol But I knew quite a few Chinese students (born and raised in China) here who didn't feel that way. They just felt an obligation to get these jobs, and didn't seem to have an intrinsic motivation for it. But by and large these guys are very driven and actually harder working than the average American student.

Try to get them hooked on Star Wars/Trek. It definitely worked for me :)

Patriotism or Nationalism, Mr. Green prefer to think of himself as one human among many, on a single planet. Patriotism/Nationalism tend to give the impression of us versus them. We humans tend to categorize things; put up borders; and name things. Every government type have its negative and positive. Too bad we are failing as a whole.

I used to be very patriotic, but with the current course of the US, not so much anymore. Don't care to elaborate because I'm tired of debating in circles with folks.

I used to be very patriotic, but with the current course of the US, not so much anymore. Don't care to elaborate because I'm tired of debating in circles with folks.

I agree with the base sentiment of what you are trying to say. Will add also that sometimes a person is looked down upon because they consider themselves patriotic.

I agree with the base sentiment of what you are trying to say. Will add also that sometimes a person is looked down upon because they consider themselves patriotic.

Well, we have a current administration that essentially shamed the term "American exceptionalism". People bought into it too. I didn't buy into at all, but I'm ashamed of my coutry for other reasons entirely. I've pretty much given up hope on many things.

Patriotism or Nationalism, Mr. Green prefer to think of himself as one human among many, on a single planet. Patriotism/Nationalism tend to give the impression of us versus them. We humans tend to categorize things; put up borders; and name things. Every government type have its negative and positive. Too bad we are failing as a whole.

:goodpost:

I feel the same.

I agree with you. U.S. optimism is definitely one of its defining traits, which is in part a function of its history and geographic location (Europeans have good reason to be much more cynical and "realistic" about their place in the world, how much they can truly accomplish, etc.). And that certainly places a higher ceiling on potential innovations. But tied into that is the popular belief that the "free" market should be allowed free reign so that the U.S. citizenry can properly take advantage of these opportunities. And that means lower taxes than other places in the world, and fewer social supports. Which leads to less of a focus on public education and public health, and in turn, to fewer macroeconomic prospects. Many don't seem to realize this dilemma, unfortunately.

As for China, I do agree that more "in the box" thinking takes place there, which has pros and cons. If you look at graduate enrollment in U.S. universities (globally recognized as among the very best in the world), there are extremely high rates of Chinese (and Indian) enrollment in the sciences and engineering. This is a result of what you're talking about, because the government and families are pushing kids into STEM (science, tech., engineering, math) fields of study. But most of these students don't have ambitions of being the next Bill Gates. They just want a comfortable living, and they can get that by devoting their professional lives to this kind of work. In the U.S., there's much less of that kind of push, but on the other hand, we have ambitious kids who want to run large businesses, who want to change government in fundamental ways, and who want to not only live well, but to become wealthy and powerful.

That's a good point on Chinese students - the Chinese government is sending out its people to western universities left right and centre. I was reading a PhD on the attitudes of Chinese nationals studying in Australian universities the other day - I can't tell you why on earth I'd be doing that - but one of the themes was the new-found independence and maturity that many graduates valued in their overseas study experience. So perhaps the future for China is a lot more outward-looking than I've previously given it credit for.

I worry about Australia is many ways. From what I've picked up, a lot of their paths are leading to the same problems that we're having now. I hope that isn't the case.

Significantly, Australians trust their government. We hate politicians, and accuse them of the usual failings - but we implicitly trust the system. I think this assists social cohesion, so we don't have the rupturing of the socio-political fabric that appears to be occurring in the US. I'm an outsider and pretty ignorant, but it seems to me that America has never been more divided in terms of the seaboard states and the rest. I wonder what it will take to bring the extremes closer together. In Oz, hopefully we'll pull back from the very concerning directions being taken by our current government, which promotes shrill populism a the expense of sensible policy making. We only have 25 million people -it's a lot harder to **** things up with such a small population.

My ethnicity is Chinese but I grew up here in America. Spent my entire life here, and I was born here. I lived in a apartment project/government subsidized housing for ten years. Then my father's business evolved and improved and now we are living comfortably in middle class. I definitely don't claim to know all aspects of American culture, but I believe I have seen a good amount. I grew up on American movies and television. I am in my twenties and I definitely agree with you, ALOT of American students are in business schools but they are forgoing math and sciences. For a long time, I had the same mindset as many of my peers, that getting a office job and working in a suit and briefcase was the American dream. And that meant going to business school was the goal. So here I am, in my mid twenties, just graduated from a competitive business school. And you know what? I find myself that I couldn't give a damn about that degree I just got. I'm actually prepping myself to go back for a math/hard science degree, because growing up I loved Sci-Fi fantasy.

Oddly enough, many students native to China and India would agree with you absolutely. That math and science (as admirable as those pursuits may be) are definitely cookie cutter. But as an American Chinese I consider that following my dreams.

Chase your dream, Supreme! :rock

Sums me up as an individual.

Yup. Me too. Sometimes I rejoice at being laid back, other times I despair. I just love taking it easy. I have a Chinese cousin living in Hong Kong. He's in finance, makes a lot of cash and is miserable in his job. His brother lives in Indonesia. He graduated in mechanical engineering, but because he's Australian he's not allowed to work in Indonesia. His wife makes all the dough and he teaches martial arts to kids all day. He's happy as Larry :lol Your potential is only worth pursuing if it leads to being happier I reckon. We in the developed world have that privilege, so might as well embrace it. All the time I spend not working harder I spend with my kids. If I die tomorrow they're not going to wonder what kind of person I was for never having had the chance to know me. That makes me happy.

:lol My kids know I'll support their ambitions wherever they lay. But if those ambitions end up making them filthy rich I'm not going to be disappointed in them.

Well, we have a current administration that essentially shamed the term "American exceptionalism". People bought into it too. I didn't buy into at all, but I'm ashamed of my coutry for other reasons entirely. I've pretty much given up hope on many things.

Giving up hope? Have you travelled much? America on its worst day is still a great place to be :dunno

Even if I did you'd just dig your heels in and take some contrary view. Why should I bother? You don't deserve it.

Back