Patient Zero craze?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Can somebody explain the Patient Zero craze that exists on this forum.

I don't know the first thing about it, wiki tells me it's a book of somesort?

As for collectables there seems to be this creepy looking zombie figure floating around (which seems pretty ugly to me). But that's my opinion.

I just wanted to ask what the great thing is about patient zero that has everybody hooked?

I just wanted to ask what the great thing is about patient zero that has everybody hooked?

1. It is a zombie and zombies are cool
  2. The statue has an edition size of 100 for the Exclusive and 425 for the Reg/International version. Overall, this tiny ES for a very popular line = very few collectors actually getting their hands on one.
  3. Sideshow really hyped the product up and then on preorder night, Sideshow's server crashed repeatedly so only a "select few" were randomly able to get through and actually order this.
  4. The final product has an amazing paint app. and, yes, it is ugly, but still is a perfect portrayal of a zombie.
  5. There is a very large and loyal group of Horror fans have been asking for a zombie in PF format.

I am no expert, but it's from the line called The Dead, owned exclusively by Sideshow, and the current craze is in regards to the just-released Premium Format of Patient Zero, the first in the line.

They are doing a 12" line as well, but the PF is where SS truly shines IMO.

1. It is a zombie and zombies are cool
  2. The statue has an edition size of 100 for the Exclusive and 425 for the Reg/International version. Overall, this tiny ES for a very popular line = very few collectors actually getting their hands on one.
  3. Sideshow really hyped the product up and then on preorder night, Sideshow's server crashed repeatedly so only a "select few" were randomly able to get through and actually order this.
  4. The final product has an amazing paint app. and, yes, it is ugly, but still is a perfect portrayal of a zombie.
  5. There is a very large and loyal group of Horror fans have been asking for a zombie in PF format.

I'm thinking we should make that PO night/date a "holiday" of sorts here on the boards, a day we look back on every year. I'm thinking something like "Black Thursday" or another name similar to that effect. I remember that night like it was yesterday. :angelsmil

I'm thinking we should make that PO night/date a "holiday" of sorts here on the boards, a day we look back on every year. I'm thinking something like "Black Thursday" or another name similar to that effect. I remember that night like it was yesterday. :angelsmil

:lol That will go down in history books as The Great Sideshow Crash of 2008; when fans moved through collectible forums rioting, hurling insults and posting 200 pictures of dolphins. :lol

I love zombie movies, and zombies generally, but for whatever reason don't have an interest in toys/collectibles that aren't from film, cartoon, or comic properties. As such, this doesn't interest me, either. Plus, I think his pose is way too extreme for a zombie, as I think of them. They don't have dramatic poses like that unless they are in the Thriller video. Now if there was a PF Bub from Day of the Dead. . .

i love this zombie, but i reckon i will never get my hands on this one with its current going price :eek:

well...back to waiting for the next pre-order...hopefully i will be in-time then :p

The Dead in just a very well marketed in house line by Sideshow.Fan boys are caught in the hype.The PZ figure character is what start it all.

If you can't see why people are crazy for the statue then you have nothing to worry about. Since that tells me you're not really in to the piece.

Can somebody explain the Patient Zero craze that exists on this forum.

I don't know the first thing about it, wiki tells me it's a book of somesort?

As for collectables there seems to be this creepy looking zombie figure floating around (which seems pretty ugly to me). But that's my opinion.

1. It was a Sideshow original line created by Brian Dooley that was just a zombie done as a neat exclusive for SDCC 2005. It was limited to 300 and the Non-Attendee version sold out quickly but it was easily had after the show for a while from folks here and other retailers.

2. It was greatly received and when it was revealed that a second figure was going to be released (Subject 5), the value began to go up on the secondary market for Patient Zero. Around the time of the third figure (Subject 57) was released at Spooktacular the secondary value of Patient Zero when through the roof going into the 300s and 400s, which has people quickly selling their PZs to make a buck and even spurred a counterfeit version Patient X.

3. With every release of The Dead up until the Babysitter debacle, the value of Patient Zero went up higher and higher and plateau'd then started to actually decline but with the announcement of the PZ PF it started to go up a little and people saw it as a chance to renab the PZ Craze that had faded.

4. Its limited to 100 (Exclusive) which brings out the Exclusive whores, it sold out so fast that some real diehard fans missed out causing them to search elsewhere which has the secondary value going higher and gets people more interested. There are a ton of people who only want this piece to flip it elsewhere and fund other pieces.

There are a lot of fans who love THE DEAD line despite the hiccups and see the PZ as a chance to nab a figure they've missed or go for a figure that they already own as a symbol of not only the line itself but the beginning of a new format.

Back