Painting Sculpey/finding parts for 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Web_Head91

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello friends. I wanted to set out and make a Western/Cowboy figure in 1/6th scale. Maybe make John from Red Dead Redemption, but maybe just my own character.

I know that some people make headsculpts with Sculpey or a similar type of clay that hardens when you bake it. This is probably how I'll go about making the head on mine. What kind of paint is best for that? I would think acrylic paint would be best, but any time I use acrylic paint on a figure, it always seems to come off super easily.

I made a custom Cobb figure from Inception, and the paint I used to highlight his hair rubs off very easily. However, that head is made out of some kind of plastic (I didn't make the head).

Maybe the acrylic paint I use is weird. I'm not sure. But has anyone had experience using acrylic paint to paint a headsculpt made out of clay? Will it work alright? What tips do people have for me?

Also, what is the best way to go about finding parts for a 1/6th figure? Is it best to just look online? Are there any well known people /companies that sell 1/6 bodies and clothing for a good price?

Hello friends. I wanted to set out and make a Western/Cowboy figure in 1/6th scale. Maybe make John from Red Dead Redemption, but maybe just my own character.

I know that some people make headsculpts with Sculpey or a similar type of clay that hardens when you bake it. This is probably how I'll go about making the head on mine. What kind of paint is best for that? I would think acrylic paint would be best, but any time I use acrylic paint on a figure, it always seems to come off super easily.

I made a custom Cobb figure from Inception, and the paint I used to highlight his hair rubs off very easily. However, that head is made out of some kind of plastic (I didn't make the head).

Maybe the acrylic paint I use is weird. I'm not sure. But has anyone had experience using acrylic paint to paint a headsculpt made out of clay? Will it work alright? What tips do people have for me?

Also, what is the best way to go about finding parts for a 1/6th figure? Is it best to just look online? Are there any well known people /companies that sell 1/6 bodies and clothing for a good price?

If you are looking for painting tips, look at this thread.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120016

Back