Oscars: Christoph Vs Heath Vs Daniel Day Lewis

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Supporting Actor Is??

• Christoph Waltz - Colonel Hans Landa

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Heath Ledger - The Joker

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Daniel Day Lewis - Bill the Butcher

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

civiclx

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm assuming Christoph Waltz has this year's Best Supporting Actor Oscar locked in but what if he was competing against Heath's Joker or Daniel Day Lewis' Bill the Butcher.
Who would you give the Oscar to?

Waltz no question. The other two were great, but Waltz's Hans came out of nowhere and rulled Basterds.

I would actually give it to Waltz.

Interesting that you include Daniel Day-Lewis, since he didn't win the Oscar for that performance--and it was a Best Actor nomination anyway, not Supporting.

Last edited:
I'd probably go with Waltz for this one. He made that movie imo. They are all oscar worthy performances though really.
All amazing actors.

Waltz made the film and even though Ledger really held The Dark Knight together; I prefer IB.

Haven't seen Inglorious Basterdz yet, but did see this Waltz fella on Charlie Rose last night. I've seen better interviews. So, going with Ledger for Brokeback.

Do you think Ledger would of got an Oscar Nod if he didn't pass away??? I do like him as an actor, and sad that he has passed. But I wasn't falling off my chair from his Joker role. But it also seems that the Academy looks past the block buster type of movies and roles. I thought Star Trek should of been nominated this year.

But its a strange poll since Daniel Day Lewis didn't win. I think he lost to Adrien Brody in the "Pianist". But if all 3 were up against each other Waltz would probably win.

For those that wondered why I included Daniel, I am a fuc king idiot as tomandshell pointed out:banghead. Lol.I did know he didn't win but I thought he was the supporting actor to leo's Amsterdam. I dnt quite get what made heaths joker so special and it Tom me a second viewing to appreciate col Hans Landa because who knew SS officers were so awesome:p but I loved Bill the Butcher right away so he gets my vote

I give it to Ledger just being able to go from Ennis Delmar to The Joker...it's mind-boggling the acting range he had.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/3YkFGN9M6tQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/3YkFGN9M6tQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/8jqq4j52Fb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/8jqq4j52Fb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You Ledger loves are nuts. It was a great performance, but indeed made legendary because of his tragic and untimely death. Nowhere near the level of Waltz's thoroughly-nuanced Hans Landa performance.

I think Heath would've won even if he was alive. Consider the other nominees in 2009:

* Josh Brolin in “Milk”
* Robert Downey Jr. in “Tropic Thunder”
* Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Doubt”
* Heath Ledger in “The Dark Knight”
* Michael Shannon in “Revolutionary Road”

Not that those nominees weren't deserving, of course. I've seen each of those films. Hans Landa/Chris Waltz is a tough performance though.

Trust my opinion, because I am a part of the official Academy Awards organization of judges. I am not just a forum poster who has an self proclaimed unlettered eye for judging acting skill.

Back