Original GROUCHO MARX Custom by FMLes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a Gummo too, but the main three were the Marx bros, no need to go into obscurity, Les has enough to do with Harpo and Chico. It is really amazing what one person can do. You've got a big heart there Les.

Whoa, that's really awesome. I love Groucho and I can't wait to see Harpo and Chico. So awesome.

WOW..I love Groucho. He and Harpo were always my favorites and you captured him...I don't even have a word for it...Cheers :duff:duff:duff:duff

Great job Les and yeah, where did you get those glasses from? Those would be sweet on a Lennon custom.

The glasses are from a Dragon German soldier figure I think. I got them off Ebay ages ago and hadn't used them yet. I had to cut the nose holders off though. They would be great on a Lennon! I hadn't thought that far yet. I used a pair on my custom Batman movie Alfred also.

Someone asked how I made this figure. He started out as a joke, no pun intended.

Sometimes customs happen by accident...

Recently, buddy said, "Don't you have enough fodder for a Groucho?", and that thought stayed with me until one day, a couple of weeks back now, I got up, and in about 10 minutes had a body, some clothes, not these as I traded out for better ones over time, but some clothes that were close, and head I found that I thought, this head won't do me any good, I'll just put a simple groucho mustache and eyebrows on it, and be done until I can sculpt a better head. It was a really ugly Soldiers of the World head that kind of looked like Harrison Ford with his mouth slightly open.

So, my "Ten Minute Groucho" took form. I just painted the head in a very rudimentary manner, and was done. OR so I thought...
Here's what he was after my quick start:

Grouchofig2.jpg

So, after that, the more I looked at his face, and head shape, I realized I had inadvertantly matched him EXTREMELY well. So much so, that all he needed was a better paintjob and better hair and some teeth, a better cigar and a longer neck, as Groucho used his head lolling about a lot, and this lack of neck head made him look more like George Burns (another fine figure to try sometime!) doing a Groucho impersonation or something.

I took more time and redressed him to what you see now, and spent some time on the head. Replaced the hands with posable ones so I could get that almost bird shooter he holds his cigar with, and that is usually his left hand I noted, and that's it.

Groucho002.jpg

Harpo on the other hand, is proving a more serious workout. So will Chico.
But, to have a younger version of Groucho so handled, I am ready for more.

Sometme, I may totally sculpt a Groucho head though, as I prefer his hairline be just a tad higher. Otherwise, I do like this one. Maybe it's Pre-movies Vaudeville Era Groucho. :D

Hope that doesn't dispel the mystery. I was as surprised in some ways as you guys at how he came out.
Oh, I did trim the neck off the head and made it work with a posable neck arrangement. THAT was some work.

Thanks for all the comments. I may can make more sometime in the future, after I solve the other two.

Last edited:
Hey Les, I just ran across this thread, and like what you did with Groucho...i know its been a while, but do you remember where you got that jacket and pants?

Why a Duck?Why not a Chicken?Nice Groucho Les.Love the Marx Brothers.

It would be nice if SS diverted some of it's talent into early comedy PF's.There is a plethora of great characters out there.Just think what they could do with a Marx Brothers Groucho,Chico,Harpo PF set.I would on the spot buy those.Or a Buster Keaton.Even an early Shirley Temple would be cool.
But I think SS thinks there is not enough of a market for them.So I doubt we will see any.

really good work on groucho i bet mae west and wc firlds would be cool

Back