Optibotimus Reviews: Hot Toys Star Wars KYLO REN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortunately the people waiting on a release that will never happen will ensure the rarity of this figure overall.

I can understand HT putting Phasma and Stormtroopers up for preorder before the movie because they appear on film exactly as they looked in the trailers. But since here we are a month after the film's release without heavy hitters like Poe or Han then it does seem like HT could have just waited on Kylo as well previewed him, say, now but with Driver sculpt and Vader helm. Heck they could have included the helm already since it was in the trailers and then pulled a "baby Groot" (which they did hold back due to it being a spoiler) and snuck in the extra sculpt when he shipped. In fact after seeing the film I kind of assumed they'd do that.

Paramoremcr88: has been able to pose this figure just fine with his light up arm and has various pictures to prove it (as well as a few other contributors over on the 1/6 Hot Toys Kylo Ren figure review page) So I disagree with your Lite up lightsaber arm critique in your review good Sir, I applaud you for not dropping any spoilers for those who've yet to see TFA (pretty safe to assume that EVERYBODY on this page about high end Star Wars figures HAS though) but Kudos to you for that nonetheless. MTDSOTFBWY

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

They wanted to get this figure out at the time of the film's release so it's understandable that there is no headsculpt, it would have taken too much time for approvals and production. For the AoU Captain America and Iron Man 43 figures they just reused headsculpts from previous releases, so it was much quicker to get those releases timed with the film.

I'm sure HT will do a Driver sculpt version that will not come with his mask or the cloak. So in the end you will be trying to find them loose on Ebay and end up paying through the nose for them.

It's not an Adam Driver likeness rights issue at all. There was a strict stipulation to not have any Kylo Ren product without the mask until after release of the movie, so Hot Toys simply didn't get it in their production queue in time for this particular figure.

That said, there is already a maskless Ren figure on the market (the 6" Elite Series at Disney Store) with a decent Adam Driver likeness. And Hasbro is releasing a 3.75" one (with a less than decent likeness) in about a month.

Personally, I wish Hot Toys had waited a bit on Kylo Ren, because it's so hard to bite on this release knowing there will be another at some point. It already feels incomplete.

Where did you hear about the Hasbro one?

Where did you hear about the Hasbro one?

Hasbro-The-Force-Awakens-Kylo-Ren-Unmasked-Final-Duel-002.jpg

If Kylo's face had to be kept such a big secret (even though that photoshoot showed his face, sooo...), why not release Rey first? Or Poe? Or just stick with Phasma and some troopers?

I dunno. If Hot Toys doesn't plan on releasing a v2 (doubtful, but possible), I think they screwed up big time with this release.

Yep, Driver sculpt and melted Vader mask would've made this feel complete.

Its almost like people here dont even understand how hot toys has always operated. Deluxe version announced with driver head sculpt, 2.0 announced with vader mask and stand... before episode 8 comes out, then 2-3 more of him for ep.8. This is what hot toys does for popular characters guys. Been this way for a long time now.

Paramoremcr88: has been able to pose this figure just fine with his light up arm and has various pictures to prove it (as well as a few other contributors over on the 1/6 Hot Toys Kylo Ren figure review page) So I disagree with your Lite up lightsaber arm critique in your review good Sir, I applaud you for not dropping any spoilers for those who've yet to see TFA (pretty safe to assume that EVERYBODY on this page about high end Star Wars figures HAS though) but Kudos to you for that nonetheless. MTDSOTFBWY

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I didn't mean to insinuate that it's NOT possible to pose him decently. But with the lack of a fully articulated wrist as well as the lightsaber being permanently attached in a fixed position, it limits the posing options i feel. That's all i meant. And you'd be surprised how many people STILL haven't seen the movie. I get told constantly that i'm not allowed to talk about it publicly because such and such a person hasn't seen it yet lol. Not here mind you...just on other social media outlets i'm on.

I heard they're releasing a second Scarlet Witch from AoU with her outfit she wears at the end of the film. At least, that's what I was told in another thread.

But that's still her in a different outfit. Only a tiny handful of characters have be re-released by HT wearing the exact same thing as a previous figure. And Kylo just has the one costume. Now I'm in no way saying that HT *won't* do a Kylo 2.0 of him in the same TFA outfit but with unmasked portrait and Vader helm. I'm just saying that the notion isn't as common as some people are making it out to be.

He'll get some kind of double-dip, I'm sure, but it won't simply be this exact release but with a sculpt and Vader mask thrown in. It'll be BD Kylo Ren or something like that. So you have to have both figures to get the complete look throughout the movie, which I think is fine. I'm glad HT got the license, so they may as well keep that bottom line nice and healthy (especially since I'm sticking with the OT ;)).

aren't there still going to be two more movies with kylo ren?..

even if his costume changes, this trilogy will still be in the public eye, giving them the opportunity to produce a version with these accessories.

personally, i couldn't care less about a driver sculpt or a melted vader mask. would it have been cool if they were included? sure, but for me, they'd probably wouldn't ever be displayed. i can certainly understand why people want them to be included.

since the figure doesn't include these accessories, i sort of wish that he was released a bit earlier.. i guess that's my only complaint.

Idk. I only need this version. I wouldn't display him without the mask, anyway, as I see it as the iconic look for this character. He's going on the shelf with Palps, Vader, and Maul.

Yea, I agree that the oversight of a burned Vader mask and unmasked Kylo head was a mistake on HT's part.

But this board has a whole section dedicated to making custom figures of every character under the sun, both iconic and ones so obscure I couldn't imagine why anyone would ever want one. I'm surprised not a single person has started a sculpt interest thread.

Back