Optibotimus Reviews: Hot Toys Star Wars BOBA FETT

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Opti I have the SS version and I am really on the fence if I should sell it and purchase the HT (paying an extra $100+ on top) or just keep it. How much of a WOW factor do you think HT is compared to SS. Should I just keep my $100 and SS VERSION and wait for another release character?

I thought the review was pretty decent, but I'm gonna play devils advocate here and point out that this is in fact not a thread for talking about the figure seeing as that thread exists here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...-6-hot-toys-mms-star-wars-rotj-boba-fett.html This is a thread that you started to promote your review of the figure, so if people were going to show up and voice their criticisms about your review style and voice their opinions about whether or not they believe your review was biased, I would say this is the place to do it.

You have a valid point. I don't mind criticism at all. But people seem to confuse destructive and constructive criticism. Going around saying "your hands are distracting, it's an embarrassment", "giant puppet hands", "those hands have gots to go", isn't constructive at all. No practical advice or consideration is given. So i'm all for criticisms, providing it's constructive in pointing out faults and including practical advice on how i can correct things giving me the opportunity to improve.

So Opti I have the SS version and I am really on the fence if I should sell it and purchase the HT (paying an extra $100+ on top) or just keep it. How much of a WOW factor do you think HT is compared to SS. Should I just keep my $100 and SS VERSION and wait for another release character?

I think it ultimately depends on what look you prefer for Boba Fett. If you like the look of him in ROTJ, the HT one is a nice representation of that. Earlier looks of the figure, since HT doesn't have those, SS would be the only real option to go with. I don't know if HT will get the rights to be able to do earlier versions of Boba Fett though, so i'm not sure.

You have a valid point. I don't mind criticism at all. But people seem to confuse destructive and constructive criticism. Going around saying "your hands are distracting, it's an embarrassment", "giant puppet hands", "those hands have gots to go", isn't constructive at all. No practical advice or consideration is given. So i'm all for criticisms, providing it's constructive in pointing out faults and including practical advice on how i can correct things giving me the opportunity to improve.

Definitely an excellent point about destructive and constructive criticism. I'll admit that I may not be crazy about the hands in the shot, but I enjoyed the review. Always glad to see people being passionate about these figures and wanting to engage with fellow collectors. Keep up the good work.

You make a statement and ask a question with the same sentence lol

I didn't see you ask before so i apologize for not answering that first before you made your assumption. No, I didn't get this figure for free. This wasn't one figure i wanted to get and as has happened many times over the past couple years in working with them, they asked if i wanted to review it once they got it in. I didn't have it on my preorder list but they thought i might want to review it. So as my customary way of doing things, i bought it with the intent of selling it for what i got later after i did the review. I then changed my mind and decided to use it as a giveaway for some of my followers. That clear everything up for you?

Okay, so just to be clear, you paid full retail to Sideshow Collectibles for this review figure?

Sorry - you're provided a very detailed explanation but it's still slightly unclear.

And so you had no intention of buying this figure, but Sideshow suggested you might want to review it, so you went ahead and actually bought it from them? Honestly - that's commitment.:clap

There's a confirmed/unconfirmed Rumor floating around that Hot Toys will not be doing any Empire figures. I saw it in the SSC Snowspeeder Luke thread. So if you like the Empire looks, then I would keep the figure you have but if you like the ROTJ look, then I would consider the Hot Toys version. I'm a huge Fett fan so I have to have them all, but if you're just trying to complete a set of characters, then I'd say whichever look you like better is best.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perhaps because SS has a load of upcoming ESB figures? AT AT driver, Hoth Luke, bounty hunters etc?

So maybe SS will also exclusively get epVIII as well!

Please let there be a HT Bespin Solo ��

... Haven't watched the review yet but it sounds entertaining. Lool forward to it. Tomorrow. First thing.

I consider Opti to be one of the many valuable members of this forum. He not only posts and promotes his reviews, he regularly answers questions about figures that he may get in advance when forum members ask. He's always been upfront on what he does or doesn't pay for figures (which he doesn't have to do, imo). There are MANY people that review figures...I like the variety. It gives me multiple perspectives on something I might be interested it. A lot of the criticisms here have been parallel to schoolyard bullying. Shameful.

I consider Opti to be one of the many valuable members of this forum. He not only posts and promotes his reviews, he regularly answers questions about figures that he may get in advance when forum members ask. He's always been upfront on what he does or doesn't pay for figures (which he doesn't have to do, imo). There are MANY people that review figures...I like the variety. It gives me multiple perspectives on something I might be interested it. A lot of the criticisms here have been parallel to schoolyard bullying. Shameful.

For every one person that acts like a bully towards me, there are 50 other people that like my videos and don't say anything. At the risk of sounding pretentious, if i was as "bad" as the vocal minority would have it seem, i wouldn't be a popular on youtube as i am. I don't let it bother me.

awesome review! was impressed by you know the jetpack adjuster tool and security blade names. well done! The hand gestures make me feel like I'm really having a discussion with you about the figure, ha! loved it. Great work, awesome video quality as well. cheers

Okay, so just to be clear, you paid full retail to Sideshow Collectibles for this review figure?

Sorry - you're provided a very detailed explanation but it's still slightly unclear.

And so you had no intention of buying this figure, but Sideshow suggested you might want to review it, so you went ahead and actually bought it from them? Honestly - that's commitment.:clap

Hot Toys products, (i believe i already said it) i get a 10-25% discount on figures. The discount range depends on how expensive the figure itself is. Sideshow has oftentimes given me products of their making, to which i usually will mention that i got it given to me. Hot Toys, i don't think they can just give those figures away as much because they aren't their product. I don't know that for certain. I do know that some reviewers get them for free. I don't make a stink out of it because as i explained, i like paying for my figures because it allows me to maintain my honesty in my reviews. Paying also allows me to write things off come tax time. When it comes to Boba Fett, i paid a 10% discounted price. I also don't pay for shipping because i'm only an hour away from Sideshow.

Sideshow has suggested i review many tings in the several years i've worked with them. I turn many things down because i have no interest in the item. By that i mean, i don't know anything about the property. For example, their Tychus figure from Starcraft. It was offered to me (yes for free) and i turned it down. I want to say it ultimately went to Sean Long instead. I didn't want to review it because i don't know anything about the Starcraft franchise. Same with Hot Toys iteams, there are some franchises i know nothing about. My "system" is when a new figure comes out, i contact the people at Sideshow and they put it on a preorder list for me. These are usually figures i am personally interested in. We work out whatever discount is appropriate (for Hot Toys items) and i do the monthly payments on them. Occasionally things come out and they message me saying "hey, you don't have this on your preorder list, but would you want to review it?" I consider what the item is and if i think a review will perform well, i'll buy the figure (again with my discount). Ultimately, most of those figures i sell because they don't fit in my overall collection.

This is my situation and i cannot speak to what others have in place. You're welcome to ask those people, it's different for all of us.

Hey Opti I was wondering how you got started reviewing figures? What made you decide that you wanted to turn talking about these collectibles into a career?

It may simply blow peoples minds that someone can be so blessed to get paid by YT for reviewing what may be free figures from SS. It's jealousy, a "why you deserve" kinda thing. The reason I asked whether or not he paid for the figures is for the very reason he brought up himself and that is the integrity of the review. Without that it becomes shilling and showcase and not a review at all.

Which brings me to another question for Optibotimus. How did you get the job? Take us back to the beginning of your channel and how you got sponsored. I bet its a pretty damn cool story.

Hot Toys products, (i believe i already said it) i get a 10-25% discount on figures. The discount range depends on how expensive the figure itself is. Sideshow has oftentimes given me products of their making, to which i usually will mention that i got it given to me. Hot Toys, i don't think they can just give those figures away as much because they aren't their product. I don't know that for certain. I do know that some reviewers get them for free. I don't make a stink out of it because as i explained, i like paying for my figures because it allows me to maintain my honesty in my reviews. Paying also allows me to write things off come tax time. When it comes to Boba Fett, i paid a 10% discounted price. I also don't pay for shipping because i'm only an hour away from Sideshow.

Sideshow has suggested i review many tings in the several years i've worked with them. I turn many things down because i have no interest in the item. By that i mean, i don't know anything about the property. For example, their Tychus figure from Starcraft. It was offered to me (yes for free) and i turned it down. I want to say it ultimately went to Sean Long instead. I didn't want to review it because i don't know anything about the Starcraft franchise. Same with Hot Toys iteams, there are some franchises i know nothing about. My "system" is when a new figure comes out, i contact the people at Sideshow and they put it on a preorder list for me. These are usually figures i am personally interested in. We work out whatever discount is appropriate (for Hot Toys items) and i do the monthly payments on them. Occasionally things come out and they message me saying "hey, you don't have this on your preorder list, but would you want to review it?" I consider what the item is and if i think a review will perform well, i'll buy the figure (again with my discount). Ultimately, most of those figures i sell because they don't fit in my overall collection.

This is my situation and i cannot speak to what others have in place. You're welcome to ask those people, it's different for all of us.

I appreciate your honesty in the above. Your reviews do provide some good information but unfortunately, your hands waving in front of the camera do become a bit of a distraction (to me). Keep the reviews coming.

Back