Opinions on WETA Fellbeast and Witchking

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodsy said:
Had mine up for sale on Ebay about 2 minutes after I opened the box for the 1st time! What a lousy paint job....worth $80?? Not a chance. I'd love to see the look on people's faces when they behold this thing for the 1st time after paying $200+ for it. Could be the next "priceless" Mastercard commercial.

Ditto, mine was opened only long enough to get some pics.

:D

Like all my minibeasts. Really like the Fell Beast sinuously wrapped around the rock...posed for flight at a moment's notice. The small ML never bothered me.

Wetanut said:
Like all my minibeasts. Really like the Fell Beast sinuously wrapped around the rock...posed for flight at a moment's notice. The small ML never bothered me.

I think it would have been a much better statue had it been $300 and alot larger.

No, I don't buy that.

It's way more difficult to sculpt something small, and yet have it look menacing and real. Of course everyone is going to get wowed by the big pieces, but that's just brute mass and volume speaking.

The Fell Beast is everything it has to be -- as Rumi said, sinuous and menacing -- and that's hard to pull off at such a small scale. It could've looked twee and unprepossessing. Or it could have resembled one of the million dragon pieces out there.

But it's not. It's its own thing, and amazingly so. She's easily in the top three of the pieces I own, and I own over a hundred.

Seretur said:
The Fell Beast is everything it has to be -- as Rumi said, sinuous and menacing

....what puny and purple :confused: Could have been just as sinuous, more detailed, and a whole lot more menacing...in a larger scale :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread, I've wanted to complain about this piece for a long time, but never really got to it. I don't understand why I payed so much for the ML on fellbeast (secondary market, some years ago); I wish I hadn't. The beast is nice, the rock very accurate, but, hey, is that really a Morgul Lord sitting on that beast? I mean MORGUL LORD, man! It looks more like a mini morgul lord to me! You need a magnifying glass to see him!
I always wanted to get rid of it. You know, if someone would offer me a nice trade or something. But then I thought, what the heck. He is in a box somewhere, and that's that.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Thanks for this thread, I've wanted to complain about this piece for a long time, but never really got to it. I don't understand why I payed so much for the ML on fellbeast (secondary market, some years ago); I wish I hadn't. The beast is nice, the rock very accurate, but, hey, is that really a Morgul Lord sitting on that beast? I mean MORGUL LORD, man! It looks more like a mini morgul lord to me! You need a magnifying glass to see him!
I always wanted to get rid of it. You know, if someone would offer me a nice trade or something. But then I thought, what the heck. He is in a box somewhere, and that's that.

Well Said! It is a well crafted [except for that teenie weenie ML on top] statue that obviously took alot of time and skill to create. The rocks look good and the way the FB is wrapped around the rocks makes for an excellent pose.
But it's purple! :banghead Now it has been explained that the FB was purple in the book...that's great, but since these statue's are based on the images and likenesses of the movies I want to see a grey FB, not a purple one.

Secondly, it is so small! :banghead Way too small for the subject matter. Alice is right, you practically need a magnifying glass to see the ML properly and I definitely need my reading glasses to fully appreciate the detail on the FB itself.

A nice piece?...yes. :D Menacing? [maybe to ants and other small insects]...no. :rolleyes: And certainly not worth anything above issue price...at least IMHO.

If it has to be big for you to appreciate it, don't buy it.

On the other hand, if you can appreciate something moderate size -- excluding the base it is almost 10 inches -- and beautifully sculpted, add it to your collection. Of course the Morgul Lord is small. He has to be in proportion to the beast. Mine doesn't look half as bad as some seem to think though and he certainly isn't just a "blob" as some have said.

I'm delighted to have mine.

I love this statue and its in scale so whatever you guys are expecting the ML to look like on the back of the Fellbeast' neck, if he was any bigger he'd look like a muppet on there! Its done to scale and the Fellbeast really is what that sculpture is about, we have the ML in other formats and yes it would have been stunning to see it in a bigger scale but I think it is very well done and doesn't deserve the thrashing its getting on here! Remember guys we are spoiled now as the current sculptures coming out are a lot better and esp since we are now exposed to PF formats. Sereteur you were very accurate in saying, its difficult to keep the detail on a scale such as this and I think they did a great job! For some people, no matter what these talented sculptors come up with, it's never enough!! :lol

Big is a relative term-- he is just the right size for me:

zrogdisplay1borderxx0.jpg

I'm not one who thinks big is always better, though it certainly has its place-- I'd rather have the Frodo/Gollum diorama as it is as oppose to it being 1/4 scale.

customizerwannabe said:
Was offered one, but never seen it in person. Any opinions on the quality and size of this piece? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Hey customizerwannabe....you started they thread, how about a little input!Are you going to buy one...or will sound judgement and reasoning prevail?:D

It's a nice little piece. And the LITTLE is the problem, it's totally out of scale with any of the other WETA statues and that makes it very by itself. I sold mine because I just couldnt display it because of the size/scale.

Lynxje said:
It's a nice little piece. And the LITTLE is the problem, it's totally out of scale with any of the other WETA statues and that makes it very by itself. I sold mine because I just couldnt display it because of the size/scale.

You are wise beyond your years!

I'm out. Weighing the opinions, I'm thinking the fell beast is probably nice if a bit small. I also get the opinion the ML is a bit substandard. Bought a grey hulk vs spidey last night instead!:D I do appreciate all of the opinions very much!

WrathofSauron said:
the Fellbeast really is very well done and doesn't deserve the thrashing its getting on here! job! For some people, no matter what these talented sculptors come up with, it's never enough!! :lol

...sounds like SOMEONE got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning :slap Are you sure you have the right thread :confused: I've read every posting on this thread and have seen some very positive remarks made by others [myself included] as well as some constructive criticism [myself included], but thrashing? ...hardly :confused: :confused:

I myself have kept about 20 of my favorite statues...some I consider to be really good, a few of them close to perfect, but that doesn't mean they don't flaw's [except the RWoS of course, it is perfect!]. Does that mean I like them any less? ...not at all, I simply refuse to look at them [or anything else for that matter] with blinders on. I'm gonna leave the cheerleading to 18 year olds in short skirts thanks... :ccheerlea

customizerwannabe said:
I'm out. Weighing the opinions, I'm thinking the fell beast is probably nice if a bit small. I also get the opinion the ML is a bit substandard. Bought a grey hulk vs spidey last night instead!:D I do appreciate all of the opinions very much!

THE VERDICT IS IN!...you too, are wise beyond your years! :bow

Woodsy chill out, do you take everything so literally? Its all relative, so chill! I got the right thread and regarding the comment I make about no matter what these guys do its never enough I am talking about a LOT of statues by SS not just this one, so relax :D cos I am!!:D

Back