Open Call to SW Fans/Collectors (Slightly Off-Topic)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zakk,

There is a ton of great information to be found on RS and in fairness it's probably the most comprehensive Star Wars collecting sit out there. However, that does not change the fact that it can be a very uncivil place at times and some of the members are very rude. I know nothing about the whole Fan Club President controversy as it doesn't concern me, but I do know that the forum has a fair share of obnoxious members which is something I've never encountered here.

DCFett said:
Not to rain on the "I Luv SSF" and DAVE too, but there does seem to be a bit of elitism going on in here. I see guys with 1K+ post "put newbs in their place" from time to time. It seems hard to "be in" around here sometimes too, especially if you have some "complaint" about SS. Just my 2 cents.

Don't be afraid to speak your mind. Many threads have been about Sideshow's bad sculpt, for example the Prodo PF, Aragorn's face sculpt, or Anakin's lips. Believe me, us freaks don't hold back. By doing so, SS correct what is needed to be changed.

Brent72 said:
Zakk,

There is a ton of great information to be found on RS and in fairness it's probably the most comprehensive Star Wars collecting sit out there. However, that does not change the fact that it can be a very uncivil place at times and some of the members are very rude. I know nothing about the whole Fan Club President controversy as it doesn't concern me, but I do know that the forum has a fair share of obnoxious members which is something I've never encountered here.

True. Some of the people are rude from time to time. But mostly it's just a bunch of people who speak boldly about their opinions (sometimes comes off as a bti rude), and I think that's what makes RS fun.

RS is not a bad place.

Me too. The two "rudest" people that I know of (
13657.gif
&
fig311.gif
) are the best posts to read and they keep the discussions rolling alot of the time. :D

I was surprised to see the posting on RS front page about Dustin winning,I remember he was real behind in the polls when they closed. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the win was shady, but at the same time even if their is some weird stuff going on there are still good people on the board... and its another place to get info. I usually just check the 12" forum and the one for "West Michigan" to see what's on the pegs... aside from that I rarely venture out.

But I definitely agree that SSF is a much friendlier board to post on... typically a lot less bickering and name-calling. And you can even wage a Crusade or two in your spare time :monkey3

Of course there were some back door shenanigans going on but this kind of reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart looses his school presidential election and Homer is trying to chear him up and says "Is he going to have to do more work? YES. Does he get to throw out the first pitch at a baseball game? NO.. then let the baby have his bottle." I wouldn't worry about it.. not like he gets anything cool out of it anyway.

Zakk Attakk said:
True. Some of the people are rude from time to time. But mostly it's just a bunch of people who speak boldly about their opinions (sometimes comes off as a bti rude), and I think that's what makes RS fun.

RS is not a bad place.
Indeed. I believe it to be primarily misunderstanding or lack of vocal inflection.
I was weened on forums with tougher skins, that's for sure...namely Metal forums, such as Iron Maiden's and the like, but I agree, there is a point when one too many jerks get rowdy, However the Mods usually deal with them.

It is all simply a matter of preference. It's a like a click at work or school. There are the Nerdy groups, the Hippies, the Dirtbags, the jocks, the princesses (Man, sounds liek Breakfast Club!) and on and on...and a lot of people fall somewhere into all the catagories depending on who their friends are and what they are into.

Most people on forums never meet each other...If they did, I think they would act a bit differently (if there was some kind of personality quirk online in the past that lead to an altercation of sorts, that is).
For some it is escapism. But I agree that most of the time it is simply passionate people speaking passionately (and Boldly, as you said) about their passions/interests.

Now, that I strayed off course, I too, admit that I do not know about nor have I been following the Dustin story...It doesn't interest me...I will continue to be a Scummer...as I continue to be a SSF! There is room for all!

Padme was way behind in the polls too and then she one the EU contest. I smell a Sith...

I feel a lock coming on for this thread as I heartily discourage any bashing of other forums here. And I don't know enough about the honorary fan club thingie to really comment on it. But if he's supposed to represent fandom, I don't know of a greater number of SW fans than on RS. So he should know his constituency pretty well.

But Snowbunny Padme was way behind in the polls too and eventually won the EU vote.

And I know how frustrating it can be for a forum admin when people insistantly want to bring up a subject that can only spawn illwill and nasty posts (and at times, litigation).

I would also expect that a board like RS WOULD be entitled to some special treatment from LFL. Here we get prizes, and other perks from SSC too.

So let's be civil and no bashing - and no encouraging of King_Kong and Dooku1 to come over here, 'kay? :monkey3

I had a chance to read through these postings, and it seems as though my intention has gotten lost.

The Fan Club President controversy is NOT the problem. It never was. I mentioned only to give the necessary background. It was simply the powderkeg.

The real issue is how the site administrator has chosen to treat members who do not agree with him. I'll refer you back to this quote:

To those who are ****ed off Dustin won: Whether you showed your cards here or not, leave now. I don't wish you to be using our resources ever again.

I await emails with your user accounts so I may close them.

Essentially, he doesn't want you around if you simply don't agree with their position...regardless of whether or not you ever said anything.

For the record, I could care less about the Fan Club thing. Yeah, I think it stinks, but oh well...big deal. It's what happened afterward that has furiated me, and that's what we should focus our decisions and opinions on.

Is it appropriate and excusable for a site administrator to evict (or intend to evict) people simply because they don't agree with him or her?

That's what I'm asking you to consider in this "boycott" and nothing more.

I've never been on the RS board, just didn't appeal to me really. I'm a huge SW fan and I still visit the site from time to time for info, because it's THE place to go for SW collecting news... But, I have heard some negative stuff about the board in the past and just decided to not go there...

I've tried several other forums and I have to say that most of them do suffer the "elitist" problem. I don't know why, it just happens.

But I'm glad that SSF doesn't have this issue. True, there are some groups of people that stick together and sometimes arguments erupt, but it's usually friendly banter and nothing too harsh. thankfully Dave keeps the throng at bay and never let's anything get too far out of hand.

I have lots of friends here and I don't really know of anyone on this site that is an enemy or anything like that.... That's a rare find in the online world and that's why I am exclusively here. :D

Its difficult to ask people to boycott here as most seem to just peruse RS anyway for information. I admit, I often check out what they're talking about but I have not joined. Plus, I've heard many people here have already left RS long ago for the reasons mentioned above.

Boycott or no, if RS keeps up its current behavior its only a matter of time before you won't have to worry about it.

By the way. Since we are on the subject of other sites. Could someone post links to other Star Wars forums. Thanks in advance.

Not all of RS is bad, that may be an issue but it's still pretty handy. I was there before coming here, and while the 12" section isn't that interesting anymore (I check this board every time I get on the internet) there are some good parts elsewhere, like the Master Replicas forums, those are pretty handy and they've got some good members of it. It may be wrong what Phillip is doing, but there's not much that can be done.

Before this gets closed, I feel that the whole argument is valid but otherwise futile. Oh and a lot of people on RS are well, I can't say but they use it a lot on Deadwood. And yes I am on RS as well. Hypocrite. :monkey3

Sith Lord 0498 said:
The real issue is how the site administrator has chosen to treat members who do not agree with him. I'll refer you back to this quote:

To those who are ****ed off Dustin won: Whether you showed your cards here or not, leave now. I don't wish you to be using our resources ever again.

I await emails with your user accounts so I may close them.

Essentially, he doesn't want you around if you simply don't agree with their position...regardless of whether or not you ever said anything.

This thread is not really about Rebelscum as a whole but rather towards the Administrator that acts like a Greek God where if the member do not agree with his point, you will be kicked out. :google

I never thought the fan club presidency was a credible position if you could "buy" it. But I'm still curious as to how Roberts won it if he was behind in the tally.

Back