Old collectors vs. newer ones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gideon

Super Freak
Reaction score
Recently SS announced the Balrog bust. I yawned and decided not to buy it since I have the original Balrog full figure statue they did. I bought it new for the original price - just like every other SS LOTR item I have that fills 3 large curio cabinets. I have been talking with several other long time collectors who all will pass up the balrog bust in favor of keeping what they have.

I wonder if collectors like myself who have been acquiring LOTR from the first SS release want the same things as the newer collectors who have only come in during the last couple of years? I would love to see either a Moria or Mordor orc in the bust format (and not Gothmog). In an environment, I would love Grond. Nobody - not ToyBiz, not AOME, not GG, not anyone has done Grond. Fat chance I know. How many different Legolas versions are there? Gandalf?Aragorn? Seems like too many people want one of the Fellowship or the main characters that I already have a half dozen versions of in varied scales and materials. Gimme something different that I do not have.

Do other veteran LOTR collectors feel this way also? Do newer collectors just want the major characters? i would love to know this.

Having collected LOTR for a while now (not since day one) I'm down with new and different. I think that's why I like the dios. Some popular charactors so far (no more Gollums please lol), but presented differently.

I've been collecting LOTR for a while as far as the movie products go. Even with the new SS lines I want major characters from those lines as well as some of the other folks. You've got to represent the big guns otherwise no line is gonna take off. The thing with the Balrog bust is I just don't want to pay $400 for it.

Recently SS announced the Balrog bust. I yawned and decided not to buy it since I have the original Balrog full figure statue they did. I bought it new for the original price - just like every other SS LOTR item I have that fills 3 large curio cabinets. I have been talking with several other long time collectors who all will pass up the balrog bust in favor of keeping what they have.

I wonder if collectors like myself who have been acquiring LOTR from the first SS release want the same things as the newer collectors who have only come in during the last couple of years? I would love to see either a Moria or Mordor orc in the bust format (and not Gothmog). In an environment, I would love Grond. Nobody - not ToyBiz, not AOME, not GG, not anyone has done Grond. Fat chance I know. How many different Legolas versions are there? Gandalf?Aragorn? Seems like too many people want one of the Fellowship or the main characters that I already have a half dozen versions of in varied scales and materials. Gimme something different that I do not have.

Do other veteran LOTR collectors feel this way also? Do newer collectors just want the major characters? i would love to know this.

I've been collecting since day one and I think incorporating main characters into the existing LOTR lines is a necessary evil. Though personally I am sick and tired of Aragorn, Gandalf, and others I realize they are very popular, and more importantly generate revenue for SS. While it would be nice to see a few characters we've not seen [ Faramir, Denethor, Haldir], or we've seen very little of [Eomer], it is very doubtful these would be as successful as many of the main characters. So certainly, let's add some fresh new characters into the mix, though nothing too obscure. As for the rehashing of some main, or memorable characters.....let's just say I won't be upset at all when we get things like the ringwraith, witch-king, saruman, etc...in PF, Dio's or LSB....and the more orcs and uruk-hai, the better!

As for the balrog bust I am a little puzzled by the response it's received. Yes the balrog has been done twice in statue form, but lets be honest, there is only one balrog that really counts and this bust will be the perfect compliment to the original. We never did get a balrog bust from the SS/Weta line so I really don't think of this as a rehashing of the balrog character at all.

As for the balrog bust I am a little puzzled by the response it's received. Yes the balrog has been done twice in statue form, but lets be honest, there is only one balrog that really counts and this bust will be the perfect compliment to the original. We never did get a balrog bust from the SS/Weta line so I really don't think of this as a rehashing of the balrog character at all.

Its the price that did it for me on the Balrog. Its from my favorite moment so I was wanting to order it but 4 now I'll wait.

Personally I could care less about main characters. I want kick ass armored characters. Give me an Elendil, Isildur, Easterling, Galadhrim Archer, Mouth of Sauron, High Elven Warrior, and any Uruk or Orc in premium format.

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to collecting. I started collecting the LOTR line about 1 year ago. It all started with the Lurtz PF and the helm of the Mouth of Sauron.

My main desire was to get statues/figures of the Fellowship first, then the major bad guy characters and then the remaining characters who played smaller parts in the books/movies. Because I started so late collecting, some pieces such a Sam and Bill and Gimli were out of my price range. Because I have limited space, I decided I would be satisfied with one form of these main characters and didn't feel the need to buy everything that was put out. I didn't get Sam and Bill BUT I'm getting the 12 inch Sam figure. I know they don't compare, but I am able to feel somewhat satisfied that I will atleast have a Sam in my collection. For now, all I have to represent Gimli is his helm....but hopefully they will one day put out a 12 inch figure of him that I will definitely get. I don't have any polystone statues of GTG or GTW BUT I have Gandalf on Shadowfax and though I love the GTW PF coming out, I was able to turn away because frankly I don't have room for both and I love the Shadowfax statue. I wasn't into the smaller busts, but bought the Mouth of Sauron and Ringwraith busts because it was the only way I was going to be able to get these characters. Sometimes I think of selling some of my LOTR statues and going strictly PF....but until more PFs are announced, I am sticking with what I have. Not into the LS busts (again limited space) so I suppose the only things that would keep me interested in the LOTR line is more PFs and the remaining Fellowship members in 12 inch.

Its the price that did it for me on the Balrog. Its from my favorite moment so I was wanting to order it but 4 now I'll wait.

You're right $400 is alot of money for a bust. But I don't think I am being too optimistic thinking it will be available in the $300 range not too long after it's release.
I know alot of people won't be ordering this bust because of the price, and that's understandable....but to say there's too many balrog statue's out there already, I don't understand that at all :confused:

Personally I could care less about main characters. I want kick ass armored characters. Give me an Elendil, Isildur, Easterling, Galadhrim Archer, Mouth of Sauron, High Elven Warrior, and any Uruk or Orc in premium format.

Yes, i agree.

I like the creatures in the movie.

Slim chance that they will do those "unpopular" ones... for commercial reasons.

When SS started off, I heard it from somewhere that selling these statues are not their means to bring income for the company... that perhaps why they are so good. For those old collectors, can you remember how good is the Dwarven Lord bust is? the material and sculpt?

Subsequently, the deteroriation from Gandalf Statue to the KOTD statue...

I mean, to the common people (non-fans) in the street, how many of them remember how Ugluk or even Gothmog for that matter? To them, they are just Orcs... or even worst.. the bad guys..

They will remember Aragorn as "the leader", Legolas as the Elf, Gimli as "the Dwarf" and Gandalf as "the Wizard".

In view of this, who in the right mind (for commercial sense) will produce Rosie Cotton 12" figure?? Dead Marshes Environment? Theodred Tomb with Simbylene?? (pardon my spelling - I think its wrong, but somewhere along that line) Denethor statue in his throne?

Somehow I think this will never be realised.... I am not sure about Star Wars collectibles, after 2 decades of releasing these collectibles, did the companies cover every single character in the movies? If it does, perhaps LOTR will take just as long (If and only if we, the collectors sustained them).

So I hope that they will not produce another Balrog or CT again!! Thats enough!!!

Last edited:
I've been collecting LOTR since the WETA days, and since I have most of the main characters in poly format, I personally would prefer to see new characters represented in these other lines, especially in the dio and PF. I have no desire to buy characters I already have. That being said, if I was a new collector to LOTR, I'd like to see some of my favorite main characters represented in the new lines.

It's a fine balancing act to appeal to both old and new collectors. But, with four lines to cover, I would think that Sideshow could diversify the characters enough to make both sides happy. For now, I really don't see that happening. Fine with me though with not buying new product. I'm happy with what I have and I'm saving money in the process.

Right and they will I'm sure but they CANNOT do just the ones they've never done before right now. At least not the the real background folks anyways. Faramir, Lurtz, Eomer, etc with some appeal they can do and will sell well to both but the third Elf in the opening of FOTR isn't gonna happen to start.

You're right $400 is alot of money for a bust. But I don't think I am being too optimistic thinking it will be available in the $300 range not too long after it's release.
I know alot of people won't be ordering this bust because of the price, and that's understandable....but to say there's too many balrog statue's out there already, I don't understand that at all :confused:

Yeah, I may snag it on ebay or something down the road. I want more Balrog pieces like GTG vs the Balrog in the Dio line!! :rock

I think the issue here is that there are different "lines" and each requires the representation of the major characters in order to be successful. Another important note to keep in mind is that not many collectors collect "all" of the lines.

Therefore, I fully expect to see a Gandalf the Grey in PF and as a 12" figure, to compliment the legendary bust GtG. I also expect to see a Gandalf the Grey in a diorama.

The SS/Weta collection will always be my main collectible line. It's got that "magic" that the other lines simply will never have. The personal link to the films and that specific time-frame. But I've picked up every one of the 12" figures because they are affordable (so far...), look amazing and offer the biggest diversity of characters.

As for the Balrog Legendary bust, the price is the leading factor in passing on it. I would love to add it to my SS/Weta "baddies" bust collection, but $400 is just way to much for this piece (not to mention the lack of a light-up feature, which would have helped soften the pricing blow somewhat.) The other major factor is the sculpt itself. The bust is lacking any upper "bust" section. It's simply the balrog's noggin. There's just something visually off with that, to me.

I've been collecting LOTR merchandise since before Jackson's movie interpretation. I've collected most of the earlier Sideshow pieces and almost every "toy" released under different companies (ToyBiz, PlayAlong, NECA, etc). My shelves (and boxes) overfloweth with LoTR.

I'm with Bannister. At this point for the high dollar pieces I want the armored characters. I am still waiting for a Prologue Elven Warrior, and Eomer, MoS, etc in whatever format they choose to release. I have enough Gandalfs, Legolas, and Aragorns and will not be ordering any of them in PF format or Legendary scale unless I could get them dirt cheap on the secondary market. I will consider dios on what the scene represents. Thus far the only dio I plan to order is Fell Beast/Eagle.

I will, however, order the Balrog bust because I collect the Balrog in all of its released forms/vendors.

As for other vendors, I'm collecting the GG busts, though am miffed about the "exclusives" that they throw in there (Glorfindel).

Do I still love Sidshow LoTR stuff? Yep. Will I order every piece of it now, as I did when it was the poly statue line? Nope. Produce and release the pieces I want and I'll buy them. Otherwise I let my bank account breathe a sigh of relief.:lol

I missed the very first WETA offerings just because I did not know they existed. I started collecting shortly after that and managed to get all but the very first figures which skyrocketed out of my buying range. I don't have the original Balrog, and probably never will, but right now I am forced to pass on the Balrog bust because of the price. I only collected a few of the busts so it is not a matter of completing or starting a new collection.

But I, too, would love to see some of the lesser known characters instead of more of the same. I think I'd buy an Elven Warrior in PF whatever the cost. Especially if the extra is the cloak they wore on their first appearance at Helms Deep.

A Moria Orc -- Archer or Swordsman -- would be something else not to be resisted as you just don't find the original WETA ones anymore.

I am really looking forward to more environments -- so many possibilities there.

I missed the entire SS/weta craze and now i try to find certain pieces that I want on ebay. The sideshow line is great cause there is such a variety to choose from but i also want some lesser done characters such as eomer and a diorama of Isildur cutting off sauron's fingers:D

The sideshow line is great cause there is such a variety to choose from but i also want some lesser done characters such as eomer and a diorama of Isildur cutting off sauron's fingers:D

I haven't started collecting the dioramas yet, and will probably hold off on the Eagle/Fell Beast diorama too. But Sauron/Isildur would be a must buy. In the pose as in the muriel in Rivendell, but only with the movie design of course

Back