Official "The Dark Knight" SPOILER Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 20 dollars is a good ways off, but not impossible. Think about how much a movie ticket probably cost in the 50's.

Whos going to pay $20 for a movie ticket AND see that movie multiple times? No one... in their right mind.
People used to say the same thing about $10 movie tickets during the dawn of the home video era, but that doesn't seem to stop people from paying that (or more) today... and in an age when digital home theater truly rivals the cinema experience more than ever.

We'll see...But i'm doubtful

How can you be doubtful? If ticket prices were only $3-$4 more right now TDK would have beaten it. It's only a matter of time.

According to some sources "Twilight" (I have no idea what this is, apparently something to do with sexy vampires) could be the film with the perfect formula to take down "Titanic." I got a good laugh from the article.

According to some sources "Twilight" (I have no idea what this is, apparently something to do with sexy vampires) could be the film with the perfect formula to take down "Titanic." I got a good laugh from the article.

:lol Someone really put that forth? As popular as those books are (especially among the young female demo), I'd seriously be astounded if it makes half as much as TDK let alone sniffs TITANIC.

People used to say the same thing about $10 movie tickets during the dawn of the home video era, but that doesn't seem to stop people from paying that (or more) today... and in an age when digital home theater truly rivals the cinema experience more than ever.

Well, no matter what you can do at home, nothing will ever change that going to the movies is something to do out and an escape from home. I'm sure that overall, folks are far more selective as to what movies they'll go to theaters to see though. I think at some point, movies will either go straight to DVD, or the pressure will be on movie companies to produce films that "require" a theatrical viewing to enjoy them to their fullest.

TDK is definitely a film to be seen on a big screen. Sure home theater will be HD and fairly big screen, but nothing like the screen size of a theater.

Well, no matter what you can do at home, nothing will ever change that going to the movies is something to do out and an escape from home. I'm sure that overall, folks are far more selective as to what movies they'll go to theaters to see though. I think at some point, movies will either go straight to DVD, or the pressure will be on movie companies to produce films that "require" a theatrical viewing to enjoy them to their fullest.

TDK is definitely a film to be seen on a big screen. Sure home theater will be HD and fairly big screen, but nothing like the screen size of a theater.

Exactly. And going to the movies is a communal experience and part of the social fabric. Always has been. That's why hardly anyone ever goes to a movie alone (though I'm enough of a movie nerd to have done that more than a few times :lol ).

I'm enough of a movie nerd to have done that more than a few times :lol ).

I do it exclusively, it's a special occassion to go with someone. Unfortunately, I don't have friends really into the kinds of movies I like, and the ones that do, they're either really tight on money and would rather invest in other experiences, or they just don't like movies enough to go out and watch one in a theater and just want to watch them at home.

I'm glad my first viewing of TDK was with friends though. I've talked to friends about TDK, but nothing beats walking out of a movie all hyped up about what you just saw and everyone throwing out their favorites scenes and lines, it's a lot of fun.

:lol Someone really put that forth? As popular as those books are (especially among the young female demo), I'd seriously be astounded if it makes half as much as TDK let alone sniffs TITANIC.

Yep.:lol
I think he eventually dismisses it. But way to much effort and thought went into the article to think they really don't believe this deep down.
https://videoeta.com/news/2561

Im going to be pissed if Twilight beats Titanic. Say what you will about the film, but it deserves to be beat by something thats actually awesome, and not so....girly.

There have been, and will be, films much better than TDK guys. Even genre films.

That said, the first film to surpass TITANIC probably won't be a "geek" movie. It has to be something that transcends and captures the mainstream, like SW and JAWS did back in the day. TDK was close, but was still more of a fanboy thing.

There have been, and will be, films much better than TDK guys. Even genre films.

That said, the first film to surpass TITANIC probably won't be a "geek" movie. It has to be something that transcends and captures the mainstream, like SW and JAWS did back in the day. TDK was close, but was still more of a fanboy thing.

Ya, as much as we've all enjoyed it, and it is a good movie, TDK is not the sort of film that will transcend, it's in a genre that really requires an enjoyment of that genre to truly enjoy it enough to take sales sky high. Really says something how many of us fanboys have seen it so much to take it this far, but Titanic will be beat by a movie like it that offers a magic that can draw greater crowds, but TDK's accomplishment will always be something special.

Is that even possible anymore? A movie that transcends preconceived expectations and captures mainstream audiences? I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but it sounds like what we really need is a time machine.

TDK did remarkably well by today's standards and holds well against Titanic for a genre film (even more so considering the proliferation of peer-to-peer downloads, torrents, and general piracy), but if a superhero draw like Batman can't beat it, who or what can?

Trouble is there is no telling what can.

Will we ever truly be able to measure how much of TDK's success comes from the draw of Heath's last finished performance, no.

TDK is a mix of the film's quality, a thirst for quality films in the genre, and the passing of Heath.

I think a film can surpass Titanic even with P2P and all that, but I couldn't even predict what sort of film. The movies that really hit those miraculous marks are partly successful cuz no one sees it coming or has any idea how well it will turn out. Star Wars was a huge gamble when it came out, could just have easily flopped but it was the right kind of movie at the right time and it worked incredibly, Titanic was another case of it just did exactly what it needed to at the time. Who knows if it'd be as successful if it's initial release were now. TDK may not have done as well another place and time. Theatrical success is as much driven by world conditions as the film's quality. There's been some very well made Oscar winners that when they get the award hardly anyone's ever heard of them.

Like I said, all things considered, beating Titanic or not, TDK has made a great accomplishment.

Thought I'd throw this out there. Watching Batman Begins the other night, I noticed something at the end. It seemed like Nolan wasn't necessarily thinking a Batman sequel would be made, but I wonder if he put a fair ammount of thought into the close of Begins if one should be made, beyond setting up the Joker. Could just be coincidence, but notice how the backdrop buildings at the very end didn't carry the orange theme of Begins, but took on that turquoise look of TDK, I wonder if Nolan had a coloration in mind for part 2 back when he made Begins.

1.jpg

Back