Official Sideshow 1/6th DC Comic and Game figure Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we'll get different outfits/styles/through the years of Batman/Superman but I don't think we'll get many, if any specific artist versions of them outside a PF/Com. The 1:6 will probably be a lot like the Joes, as Mike suggested.

SSC is definitely on that patterning, they have shown sketches for a First Appearance Batman, Golden Age Batman, Silver Age Batman, Modern Batman, New 52 Batman, Arkham Asylum Batman in this line alone. Which means that we'll be getting definite costume variations and I wouldn't even be shocked if we got SDCC exclusives to dictate the subtle differences like if they go with the shorter ears on Batman for the modern look, to do a SDCC Ex or maybe even it's own Ex out right with a swappable cowl with longer ears to cover all bases. Given there is so much ground to cover, I could see them offering up a modern Superman and an SDCC Ex for the "World at War" version which was used throughout the end of 2001 and 2002 where he sported a red/black scheme to the shield instead of red/yellow. Easy variant that is perfect for that kind of thing but the Red/Black was almost solely done by McGuinness.

Well this is music to my eyes. I am very excited for this line.

1/6 Carter Hall Hawkman! 1/6th Carter Hall Hawkman!!!

Just came to my mind...I NEED one! Sideshow...make it happen. Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, and Allen Scott Green Lanterns too please! Captain Marvel...lord sorry, the endless list of 1/6 comic accurate figures just wont stop spewing from mah brain! Please make it so!

I don't even care about the 1/6th '89 series anymore with the exception of the Batmobile, and Maaayybe Nickolson Joker. Comic accurate Batman is the only figure for me!

1/6 Carter Hall Hawkman! 1/6th Carter Hall Hawkman!!!

Just came to my mind...I NEED one! Sideshow...make it happen. Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, and Allen Scott Green Lanterns too please! Captain Marvel...lord sorry, the endless list of 1/6 comic accurate figures just wont stop spewing from mah brain! Please make it so!

I don't even care about the 1/6th '89 series anymore with the exception of the Batmobile, and Maaayybe Nickolson Joker. Comic accurate Batman is the only figure for me!

Black Adam too! He is JSA! I would take a PF for Black Adam as well! :yess:

Teemu posted a piece of an interview pertaining to this in the GI Joe thread:

DMM- The DC Universe has a varying range of characters from adult male and female, to teens, and scrawny adults. Are you prepared to move past the iconic male figure?

BB- Hopefully so, yeah. We’ve got a new female body in the early production phases. We’re working through test shots and things. We’ll be debuting it this year in the G.I. Joe line, as Baroness. That’ll be in the mid part of 2012, and then superhero, super villain gals will follow after that. Our new beefier male body is quite different from our Prometheus and trooper male bodies.

Looks like if I read this right, we are waiting on bodies looks like we've got until the end of this year before we see and female DC figures but that the male figure closer and closer to getting done.

Looks like if I read this right, we are waiting on bodies looks like we've got until the end of this year before we see and female DC figures but that the male figure closer and closer to getting done.

Here is the full section of the interview with all the info in regards to the 1/6th DC figures.

DMM Sometimes I like to have a structure when talking to people. Some times I don’t. I figure today we shouldn’t have much of a structure, but there are a lot of things to discuss. Let’s start off with DC. We know we have the Premium Format Figures coming. We know about life-sized busts. It’s been announced that you are releasing 1/6 scale figures, but there hasn’t been much said on the direction of this scale or how Sideshow is going about making those…

BB Feverishly. We’ve talked for years about 1/6 scale super heroes. We’ve always felt the compromise with anatomy and spandex was a challenge but we’ve been able to wrap our heads around it in a way that’s pretty exciting. Since we got started on it so long ago, it has changed so radically. The 1/6 scale format has evolved faster than anything else in the past few years, resetting ambition and price point, and that has unlocked a lot of possibilities.

DMM It’s hard to comprehend how much this product scale has changed in the last decade, and more precisely the last five years. Sideshow really brought that to the forefront and other companies, such as Hot Toys, have taken the ball and ran with it. The days of a pretty cool figure for under $100 have made way for a totally awesome figure for under $200…

BB The constraints of a $50 figure, or even a $100 figure, are very different than what we can do in the $150 or $200 neighbourhood, or as we’ve seen with some Hot Toys pieces $300 to $350. But it’s our goal to keep them in the ballpark of what we’re doing with G.I. Joe or Star Wars in terms of price point. We want to deliver the most faithful and dynamic interpretation we can do at this scale with this price point.

DMM The DC Universe has a varying range of characters from adult male and female, to teens, and scrawny adults. Are you prepared to move past the iconic male figure?

BB Hopefully so, yeah. We’ve got a new female body in the early production phases. We’re working through test shots and things. We’ll be debuting it this year in the G.I. Joe line, as Baroness. That’ll be in the mid part of 2012, and then superhero, super villain gals will follow after that. Our new beefier male body is quite different from our Prometheus and trooper male bodies.

DMM Have we seen parts of this new body in Rock ‘N Roll or even Duke?

BB No. While the proportions may be similar, this new body will be unique.

DMM The kids in the forums have been talking about Sideshow using something developed by Hot Toys, like their T-800 buck. Is that the case, or is Sideshow using an in-house design?

BB It’s entirely us and our friends at Bigshot Toyworks, and the master tinker known as Klim (Kozinevich). We’ve been collaborating for a while now and we feel that his passion for all things toys and his sense of articulation matched with our desire to create awesome superheroes. I think it’s going to be a good blend. People are going to get the best of what the comic book styling has to offer, in the same way the G.I. Joe style works.

DMM So the line will have a distinct Sideshow take on the characters, with an appreciation for the core of the character, but in a more modern setting? Will it focus on the New 52?

BB We’re still working with DC to see exactly where we should go, but its still about costume and character likeness. It is safe to say the look we’ll develop will be iconic enough to represent the characters, and at least at first, not so much the specific storylines or artists. It will be both faithful and fresh. Some will be more daring, but mostly faithful.

And a quick blurb about the possibility of 12" Marvel comic figures

DMM But, back to Super Heroes for a moment. You’ve got DC 12” coming and you have a Marvel license. Does that mean you’ll be exploring a 12” Marvel line as well?

BB That would be great. We’re pretty lucky to be able to do what we do with statues and the Premium Format platform. I think you can count on one hand the number of collectibles licensees that have been able to products from both worlds in similar formats. We’d feel very fortunate to be able to do that, especially since we’ve got these bodies, but its not something we can do.

DMM Is it a licensing issue that could be worked out, or are there too many speed bumps leading up to that?

BB We’re spoiled. We’ve had great opportunities to play with every character we want to. We’ve got great relationships with our licensing partners. At this point, however, is more of an issue of how we should be focusing our team. Fortunately we’re fans of the different properties we work on, and we do so in some kind of monogamous or semi-monogamous relationships with our licenses, and we want to do them justice.

You know that TV show called Sister Wives? It’s like that. We’re looking for the big cul-de-sac where we can build ten houses so we can continue all these great affairs.

Told you it would be a while. :lol SDCC if we are lucky it.

Too bad on no Marvel.

Hopefully they go for muscle detail on the new bigger male bodies.
Rather than just bulk+articulation.
The roundness of the upper arms on their "big boy" body is....meh.
I was planning on grabbing some of the kaustic plastik bodies for whenever these come out and switch out the clothes and gear.
But I kinda want to wait and see what they do.
Impress me sideshow!

From their Ask Sideshow Update:

Q.
Hey Sideshow I’m wondering if you will be doing a Bat-family set or a Superman set? Just waiting to get my hands on those and Fantomex!
We’re chipping away at the Bat-family immediately (1:6, 1:4 and more), but sold separately, not as a set. Same for the Super-folks. FANTOMEX… cool character.

So it looks like they are planning quite the blitz once they start offering up the 1:6 figures.

If sideshow makes about 7 monyhs to release each figure,like ths pfs,i dont see dc direct to have any problem!

Back