Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

He didn't touch on the story, but rather went on and on about how it felt like a cliche Sci Fi horror flick. It just felt biased and uneducated.

Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

This is what happens when writers (Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett, David Giler & Walter Hill) create a self-contained, one-shot story with as many "cool" ideas as they can (regardless if any of them make sense) to make a Sci-Fi/Horror movie that also incorporates random, unconnected artwork from an artist (Giger) who was doing the whole bio-mechanical thing long before he was involved with the project.

Trying to piece together and make sense out of all these random ideas and things that were never meant to form a cohesive and coherent "grand" story to begin with becomes pointless.

Kinda funny when you think about it.

Kinda like most human mythologies/theologies.

Cinematic experience: never seen a near capacity cinema, that quiet at the end of the movie, like a bunch of Zombies staggering out into the night, awaiting the much necessary kill shot to the cranium.

You've never been to a movie theatre in Finland obviously :rotfl

The biggest problems in the movie are related to continuity and logic, and those can't be explained by this movie not being direct prequel to Alien.

- Why did Weyland hire such idiots to a multi-gazillion dollar scientific expedition?
- Why are major events never referred back again?
- How do some of the characters know more than they possibly can?
- How come nobody noticed really awkward and stupid dialog, that with some characters is most of the screen time they get, at any point during filming or editing the movie?

Examples provided upon request.
I'd say that all above are by products of lazy writing, but I'm open to discussion.

The biggest problems in the movie are related to continuity and logic, and those can't be explained by this movie not being direct prequel to Alien.

- Why did Weyland hire such idiots to a multi-gazillion dollar scientific expedition?
- How come nobody noticed really awkward and stupid dialog, that with some characters is most of the screen time they get, at any point during filming or editing the movie?

I'd say that all above are by products of lazy writing, but I'm open to discussion.

stupid dialog like what?

Most of what you're probably going to detail are your opinions which you think are fact, but i'll bite for sake of boredom. What major events?

stupid dialog like what?

- the whole Fifield and Millburns childish bantering, alien piss and so on
- navigator and the other guy are stereotypical figures who find their inner reluctant heroes when needed
- Janeks exchange with Vickers before they shag
- Janek telling Shaw his opinion about the planet and here reply
- Shaw getting sad because of Holloways remarks about ability to create life
- Shaws whole "there won't be any home to go back to"
- and her whole religion crap

All these are seen million times before and had no place in this movie.

- navigator and the other guy are stereotypical figures who find their inner reluctant heroes when needed

oh ok i see what youre saying

yeah, most women incapable of giving childbirth laugh it off, right? And in a group that size you wouldn't expect to find one religious person?
What else did you expect Shaw to say when they find out that the engineer is highly aggressive? What would you have done if you were in that position waved at them leaving and wish them a good voyage? :cuckoo:

As I said above, most is just your opinion you act like others should share. Some of the dialogue I agree did seem rushed, but it was a damn short movie at 2 hours flat. :dunno

Most of what you're probably going to detail are your opinions which you think are fact, but i'll bite for sake of boredom. What major events?

- Death of Fifield and Millburn are not discussed again after they are found, with exception of brief mention of Fifield when he comes back as a zombie. And after the attack it is not discussed either. Nobody minds that the dead are returning to life.
- The life form probe picks up is just mentioned to David who goes to find it, nobody else cares, of course this leads to the end scene of the movie but how come nobody else but cares about it?
- Changing of the infected Holloway and Vickers burning him. Only David quips his apologies to Shaw, but again nobody cares. Not even Shaw really.
- Shaw being pregnant with octopuss and cutting it out of her stomach by herself is only mentioned once and by David with humorous tone. Ford and the other guy who Shaw whacks out knew, yet nobody mentions it again. Not even Shaw. The creature is just left to grow inside lifepods medroom.
- The severed head of an engineer is found, explodes upon inspection and is never once mentioned again.

You are free to read more of my trolling on the page 301 and 303 for more in-depth view on these and other points. :pfft:

As I said above, most is just your opinion you act like others should share.

Ok, I'll bite. If others shouldn't care, why should the viewer?*

Also, I'm not opposing to some of the things that were said, they just were said in such unimaginative and unrealistic ways the dialog itself is stupid.

*Hasty reply on two different points go me mixed up, and this was a reply to why didn't other characters care about major plot points. I got part of Nitulsks post wrong and regret it. Surely nobody should care about my opinions for anything but discussions sake.

Last edited:

:dunno How is that poor dialogue? It's the one aspect of her character that shines through. I mean, we know why she's religious and the dedication she shows to her belief is admirable.

- Death of Fifield and Millburn are not discussed again after they are found, with exception of brief mention of Fifield when he comes back as a zombie. And after the attack it is not discussed either. Nobody minds that the dead are returning to life.
- The life form probe picks up is just mentioned to David who goes to find it, nobody else cares, of course this leads to the end scene of the movie but how come nobody else but cares about it?
- Changing of the infected Holloway and Vickers burning him. Only David quips his apologies to Shaw, but again nobody cares. Not even Shaw really.
- Shaw being pregnant with octopuss and cutting it out of her stomach by herself is only mentioned once and by David with humorous tone. Ford and the other guy who Shaw whacks out knew, yet nobody mentions it again. not even Shaw. The creature is just left to grow inside lifepods medroom.
- The severed head of an engineer is found, explodes upon inspection and is never once mentioned again.

You are free to read more of my trolling on the page 301 and 303 for more in-depth view on these and other points. :pfft:

-Everything is happening rapidly after the death of Fifield and Milburn. The time was spent advancing, not dwelling. Since Everyone is at different places most the time maybe there was alot of "oh crap its all over talk" offscreen, but since that is a major thing in nearly any movie where people are dying and you seem to want them to avoid typical crap, why would you want this anyways? Seems like a contradiction.

- How many times did they have to say it was glitched for this to be picked up on? People dying, trying to complete what theey are there for and arguing over the best course of action and you think they should have been worried about what they were told was a glitch in the probe? Obviously Fifield and Milburn were worried about the probe, they(the film) showed that very well.

-Another thing that seemed rushed or maybe she was in shock :dunno

-I knew that machine would be a "clunky" mechanic involved in the movie by how it was introduced, but what conversation did you want? David on the trip out saying, "Hey, sorry we disagreed on leaving the space squid in you" I think her mind was reeling from all the ____ she'd endured plus David subtlety dropping the bomb that he "knew" Holloway wasn't infected via the air.

Point is once events started happening it was an avalanche of crap, not like there was alot of breather time, it was one disaster to the next. Obviously there is room for interpretation and maybe some peoples interpretation is different from others, doesn't make it all bad, sometimes thats half the fun.

Edit: I read your original critique and you'd made many points I'd made about the movie also. I've never claimed its perfect, but i wouldn't say its a bad movie at all. Also didn't realize you're not a native english speaker, so I commend you, I'm sure you're getting your ideas across better than I would do in another language. :clap

Last edited:

I hear complaining about the lack of follow up after significant events such as the Fifield zombie attack.

My explanation would that out of the 17 crew, there is an obvious hierarchy. You have Vickers, David and a few of the scientists (who knew of Weyland) at the top, then you have the other scientists such as Shaw and Holloway, after that you have the captain and his navigators followed by the base crew. With that in mind, incidents such as the Fifield attack could be seen as 'quarantined' to the base crew, captain and navigators, the news never reaching those in the upper hierarchies.

A basic theory which doesn't apply for everything, but is just another way of making sense of plot holes in the film.

Well, you can still enjoy this ugly piece of crap.

KingAlienLoose1a.jpg

Comic Book Aliens suck.

I have a feeling you'd criticize the movie if these scenes were actually missing. Cue the "no character development/interaction" complaints. :lol

Back