Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Prometheus SUPER Spoilers!

Why wouldn't I? :lol

I mean, ____, even if I hated it, I still could never hate it. Ridley Scott directed Alien prequel with Space Jockey's.

It's like no one will ever be satisfied with an Alien or Predator movie unless it's a remake of Aliens.

So this movie tries to be different. So it tries to make you think. So it gives you some room to debate.

Why is that a bad thing?

I think no one knows what they want in a movie now. I think everyone wants all movies to be Avengers. Which I guess...is fine. Oh well. You'll never get your answers anyway. So suck on that. :lol

You're arguments would have better standing in a discussion if every post you didnt defend Prometheus by saying the people who didnt like it dont know what they want. Or they are fanboys and then making up an extreme example of what you think they want to make it sound like they have the attitude of a 8 year old who is never happy and in a strop. Then glazing over the numbers of people who have went out of their way to type out big posts with genuine critiques and examples of wtf.

We do like the movie but its "riddled" with bad writing, scenes that make you think because they dont make sense and was a wasted opportunity.

I like the movie, enjoyed watching it. cannot wait for the Blu-ray and would be all over a HT Space Jockey figure.

We are allowed to like the movie and call it for its many flaws.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed. It's not even so much about defending it...but the people that hate it, call it garbage, seemed to have already decided what they wanted to see, and if they didn't get that, they weren't going to enjoy it.

Then you have people like you, who DO try and post actual issues, and we discuss them.

That doesn't bother me. It makes this discussion better because we get to find the flaws, and pick at them, and deconstruct them, and possibly reconstruct them.

But when people point out "flaws" that really aren't flaws, well....eh. They just need to get over that. Like the Space Jockey not being in the chair, and connecting into Alien....that kind of crap really isn't a problem with the movie, now is it?

Notice how I only actually went after those people.

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we've gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

Pure and utter garbage.

I'm not religious by any stretch of the imagination but seriously.. this is just pathetic. The event that happened 2000 years ago that prompted the "Engineers" to wanna wipe out humanity was the crucifixion of Jesus Christ who was a big ass 8 ft. tall, bald, Space Jockey!?

:lol:lol:lol:rotfl

Great Job ConspiRidley.

7891453_orig.jpg

And on a side note, it's funny to see CelticP defending this movie and Ridley Scott. Not that it's surprising.. but still amusing. :lol

First off the picture is awesome. :lol
Secondly he does say he dropped the idea, thank goodness. I think he then goes on to ramble about how that idea would of worked in the movie, it doesn't, so it's good that they dropped it for being too on the nose.
Thirdly I am pretty sure that's our planet at the start, but if it's not, then I am sure the Universe is filled with planets similar to earth, and all it's showing is the same process that happened on our planet. He should of just said it's earth because he's over complicating things.

Well, it very much depends on what the viewer went into the theatre expecting. If you are not a particular fan of Alien (we have been told over and over ad nauseum that it's not an Alien prequel, it bloody is an alien movie). And your not into visuals per say. Then what's left?

I could certainly see a large part of the audience saying it was garbage because it didn't deliver a coherent story of any kind.
I couldn't disagree with them.

However personally I loved it. Despite its incredibly flawed structure, edit and script. Why? I adore Alien and I adore visually sophisticated sci-fi.

No one could say it was a good old yarn though? Jesus by the sounds of that interview even Scott and Co havent worked out what was actually going on!
:)

He didn't say it wasn't earth. He just said it doesn't matter. Could be earth. Doesn't really change the scene.

Well, it very much depends on what the viewer went into the theatre expecting. If you are not a particular fan of Alien (we have been told over and over ad nauseum that it's not an Alien prequel. And your not into visuals per say. Then what's left?

I could certainly see a large part of the audience saying it was garbage because it didn't deliver a coherent story of any kind.
I couldn't disagree with them.

However personally I loved it. Despite its incredibly flawed structure, edit and script. Why? I adore Alien and I adore visually sophisticated sci-fi.

Noone could say it was a good old yarn though?
:)

I liked the story.

The plot was what was messy. But eh. I enjoyed the ride. And yes, I can see why people didn't. I get that.

But just because you didn't see the Jockey explode in his space ship, or pure 100% Elephant headed Jockey's, and called it crap based on that, well...

It's hard to make this claim, but I'd say it still would've made some sense if I hadn't seen Alien. The film itself was obviously written with a sequel in mind (much like how Matrix: Reloaded and Matrix: Revolutions may as well be two halves of one huge movie). There isn't a whole lot here. As far as answering questions goes, Ridley merely points us in the right direction. I personally love the opportunity to debate, though it's obvious many critics don't. Having everything answered on-screen is, in my opinion, boring as all hell and there's nothing to talk about once it's over. What we did get from Ridley, however, was well-done and enough for me (considering it's the first movie and a sequel should and will hopefully be made).

Movies like this have a tendency to be open-ended because if you're going to tackle the origin of mankind, where's the fun in laying it all out and just saying "Here's my take on this. All of it. So there." You almost have to leave the audience speculating, hungering for more in order for such a film to be effective. It won't work unless its focus is to stir the pot, not blatantly spoon-feed you the fully-cooked soup.

Being aware of Alien and having seen it is definitely an advantage, though. While it certainly does work on its own (it's fairly WTF-ish either way, which as I said before is an asset in this case), casual viewers have no context for the disturbing images and creatures they're seeing on screen. Take the last scene for example: an Alien fan knows the significance of the proto-Xeno, whereas a newbie's reaction will likely be something along the lines of "Oh, come on! Another weird, random creature? What's this movie's deal with this kind of stuff anyway?"

I guess the best thing you can do is keep Alien in mind without expecting this film to end where it begins. Which shouldn't be that hard, anyway. I'd blame the magazines and mainstream media, as there are undoubtedly plenty of Alien fans who don't care quite enough to read Ridley's interviews and warnings, but do care to browse the latest issue of Empire with the words "Alien" and "prequel" plastered on the cover in big print. Scott had the right idea, the problem lies with how they marketed it once it was done and out of his hands.

Last edited:
Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

Well, what else do you expect from a _____ who can't run sideways? :gah:

I liked the movie the first time although there were some clear problems with the script,and continuity. It was only after about a day and a half of thinking about it that it came clear how big those problems really were. I saw it the second time to make sure I had not missed something, since I really wanted this to be a GREAT movie. I didn't expect Alien, but a thoughtful and deeper sci-fi epic. In my opinion there was way too much Alien in Prometheus.
And I will be buying it later, IF its at least about an hour longer cut.

Saw it last night and as an alien fan for the most part loved it apart from the aforementioned writing niggles. I love creature design in movies so this was a blast for me. Patiently awaiting the art book to arrive :)

Don't feel I have anything of value to add that hasn't been said here already, but I am thankful for this film influencing one of the best debate threads I've seen on here carried out in an adult manner, I've read every page up to this point!:hi5:

Watched tonight. My only two question are:
1. Why Guy Pierce plays an old guy. They can't find an old actor or what?
2. What is Charlize doing in the movie? Walking around and just to be in there. Other actress will do just fine for that role. Don't get me wrong, I love Charlize and love her movies.

OK, 2 is a rhetorical question, but I guess she's there because she's a big name, and a good actress that gets bums on seats?

Guy Pierce is just an extended cameo, and he's reprising his role that he played in a viral video as a much younger man.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxdAWrsag8[/ame]

Notice he also talks about T.E Lawrence, which David styles himself on based on Peter O'tool's portrayal of him in Lawrence of Arabia.

I would say it's reversed. Weyland was always going to be in Prometheus, but the TEDtalk is an extension of his character.

I think their initial plans were to just turn us into superhuman mutants so we could either kill eachother or impregnate eachother to spawn facehuggers that would then lead to the birth of some other purely-human monster.

Sounds sick and twisted and really ____ed up!:D

That was the point though. The fans get to see a prequel, normal people see an original movie.

So what are you; fan or normal? Nothing inbetween?

I wore a Weyland Corp shirt, with my Nostromo hat, holding a plush Facehugger I bought in 2003 for 30 bucks.

I'm a normal person.

:lol

I'm sure the DVD release will answer a lot of questions with crew/cast and more importantly Ridley interviews, maybe even a director's commentary? Hopefully a director's cut as well.

I am guessing that the Blu-Ray won't have a lot of questions answered since they are planning 2 more movies. Don't want to give anything away just yet...

I mean come on. I'm a Alien fanboy all the way. I leave and breath this ____. I think about an Alien every single day of my life at one point.

My dream goal is to make an Alien flick.

I expected nothing other then a Space Jockey, and some monsters.

I was ready for anything.

Back