Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive always thought Alien 3 had the edge on every movie. The entire feel about Alien 3 was about "emotion" and the soundtrack put it fourth beautifully. Its just a shame people degrade A3 so much because its not an Action film. I think alot of the bitterness towards the movie is purely down to how bleak and sad it is. But thats what the movie is about. Embrace it and pretend A:R didnt follow.

That's not why people hated it/still hate it.

Alien 3 had a difficult production, with various screenwriters and directors getting involved in the project, and shooting began without a finished script. The film was the big-budget debut of a young David Fincher, who was brought into the project after a proposed version with Vincent Ward at the helm was cancelled well into pre-production. Fincher had little time to prepare, and the experience of making the film proved agonizing for him. Besides the need to shoot and rewrite the script simultaneously while fitting in sets that had already been built, filming was also plagued by incessant creative interference from studio executives, who overruled many of Fincher's decisions and dictated a large part of production. Adding to Fincher's burdens was the pressure to create a film worthy of the previous two and their revered directors. Upon completion, the studio dismantled and reworked the film without Fincher's consent, including a teaser trailer that suggested the film would take place on Earth. Fincher has since disowned the film, citing the aforementioned reasons. A heavily-revised version of the film, known as the Assembly Cut, was released in 2003, which Fincher refused to be involved with.

So there's all that + the decision to kill Hicks, Newt AND Ripley.

Mix all that together and you get Alien 3. :lol

I don't think anyone had a problem with its tone or with it not being an "action movie".

Ive always thought Alien 3 had the edge on every movie. The entire feel about Alien 3 was about "emotion" and the soundtrack put it fourth beautifully. Its just a shame people degrade A3 so much because its not an Action film. I think alot of the bitterness towards the movie is purely down to how bleak and sad it is. But thats what the movie is about. Embrace it and pretend A:R didnt follow.

well Alien was not an action movie to begin with, so I don't think that was the reason. One of the reasons I didn't like it is that the Alien creature looked so bad.

I kinda find prometheus ok
But i wanted it to be more
The idea to tie everything with humanity is pretty lazy to me
This ethnocentrism in scifi in kinda over used (maybe not in movies but in books games comics...) so its not fresh even as beautiful as it is done here.
Love the gods mythology ancient alien but would have prefered that they kept the engineers and the aliens REALLY aliens.

I really digged the orignal idea Scott had about putting the humans in the middle of an intergalactic war (the derelict was a bomber en route for war the cargo bioweapons, what kind of war and ennemy can yu use this kind of weapon against?) Something trully epic on screen not just epic by its intentions ( im not asking for more explosions or action).

Not some 2001 alien looking rehash.
If only they would have shot spaith original script it would have felt less flawed.

The movie does have its moments but they are more the results of Scott's awesome eye than its script.

Still bummed about the way they tamed the whole engineer tech making it metal and geometrical instead of organic.
Please dont say its because " its a new ship, its a new tech or whatever" its just because giger's sex heavy design are a no go today in à big budget movie... Well at the Time of alien they were not ok too but Scott had the ***** to do it while the studio wasnt watching his back.

Probably gonna watch it next week again and the first Time for the misses.

Btw wich is the Best fancut around?
Anyone added weyland speech and quiet eye?
I think addind weyland speech after the engineer opening followed by shaws discovery than quiet eye could work.

I don't think anyone had a problem with its tone or with it not being an "action movie".

Killin Hicks and Newt were the biggies to me. As Cameron complained they just erased the entire previous film. Its amazing how watchable it is despite all it had going against it.

No, I think the tone had a huge part in it. Along with the stuff you mentioned. Because Aliens was FUN and AWESOME! WEE! Everyone wanted another FUN AWESOME WEE Alien movie.

And what we got was a bleak, nihilistic thriller, closer to the vain of the original.

People don't want that. They want splosions and marines. Hence why most Alien games and such is related to Aliens, rather then any of the other films.

Yeah, don't know about that. Aliens is fun the way a roller coaster is. It's scary, it's tense, but you're just left with this great feeling when it's over.

People wanted Aliens vs Ripley and Hicks on Earth with giant powerloaders and explosions. Those ****ty comics pretty much sold me that the idea would have never worked.

Star Wars is a fun movie. The Avengers is fun and so was the first POTC. ALIENS is a visceral roller coaster, but its hardly "fun."
aliens-bishop-s-knife-trick-o.gif

Roger Ebert, July 18, 1986:

The ads for "Aliens" claim that this movie will frighten you as few movies have, and, for once, the ads don't lie. The movie is so intense that it creates a problem for me as a reviewer: Do I praise its craftsmanship, or do I tell you it left me feeling wrung out and unhappy? It has been a week since I saw it, so the emotions have faded a little, leaving with me an appreciation of the movie's technical qualities. But when I walked out of the theater, there were knots in my stomach from the film's roller-coaster ride of violence. This is not the kind of movie where it means anything to say you "enjoyed" it.

People laughed at Hudson's lines in 1986 and they still do at screenings I've seen since then but from the get go its always been one hell of an unsettling action movie. When the dust settled yeah, the comics and whatnot took some of the "badass" imagery from the film (Ripley in the Power Loader and Hicks as you mentioned) and envisioned them KICKING MORE *** but ALIENS was grim, grim, grim. Cameron himself called the extended cut "40 miles of bad road." Not something you would equate to a gee whiz adventure.

I was gonna say, "ALIENS IS FUN?"

It's a great action film, but I wouldn't say it's fun. Not when aliens are attacking a little girl, marines are dying left and right and the suspense and horror keeps building and building. It's cool and certainly not as gruesome as Alien or dark and nasty like Alien 3, but I think FUN, FUN, AWESOME HAPPY FUN is the wrong way to describe it.

And I agree. Alien 3 is pretty depressing. I hate that shot of them throwing a dead Newt over the rails into the inferno, not to mention the autopsy. The whole movie is morbid and sick, definitely a DO NOT WANT for me.

Has anyone seen the concept art of Hicks? How he was originally going to look in Alien 3? Pretty gruesome ****. :lol

It's a great action film, but I wouldn't say it's fun. Not when aliens are attacking a little girl, marines are dying left and right and the suspense and horror keeps building and building. It's cool and certainly not as gruesome as Alien or dark and nasty like Alien 3, but I think FUN, FUN, AWESOME HAPPY FUN is the wrong way to describe it.

I'm glad to see you say that. Kids who look at ALIENS as fun thrills just don't get it. It came out before Platoon! It may have been THE first movie to truly showcase frenetic **** hitting the fan combat chaos. In spite of the badass action it was intense and disturbing as hell.

That's what the audience wanted. They wanted fun happy time.

Aliens ain't happy fun time though. Didn't Cameron say he was setting up a "Space family" with Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop? That's where the sequel was going to go.

Then that might have been fun happy time.

Eh. Aliens have never scared me. So, there's no fear from them.

You'll never get them to frighten me either. They're too fascinating for me to be frightened of them.

Regardless.......People wanted fun stupid action movie, not a tension filled terror film.

Didn't Cameron say he was setting up a "Space family" with Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop? That's where the sequel was going to go.

Then that might be a fun happy time.

Probably. His sequels to his own movies tend to get sappy as hell. Probably would have had a xenomorph protecting Newt and then giving her the "thumbs up" as it was lowered into an exploding fusion reactor.

Back