Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

Yeah. I'm cool with people not liking it, but come on.....I just can't understand that.

You don't want something new, you don't want something old. ____ will never be perfect. This series will always be flawed. Always.

Whatever. This movie is better then Alien Res, AvP, and AvP-R. That's all that matters.

exactly never saw so many people pick a movie apart .

Re: Prometheus - Spoiler thread!

Whether the scene was put in there for that reason or not..why wouldn't you enjoy it? Cool new Alien creature with one of the best chestbursting scenes we've ever had. :dunno

To me no reason for it to be there- Shaw and David go off to the sky...whatever else happens can be left to your imagination- we know the Alien is coming in time...

Here, I'm sure a lot of you guys will identify with this video.

Hilarious :lol

..and yet, despite all of these questions, which will inevitably be explored in a prequel sequel, the thing that primarily gave me the irrits about this movie was the complete lack of character development. Short of David, none of them was remotely interesting. The motivations of just about every single character just weren't fleshed out very well.

Still, 3D alien landscapes and Giger made this worth the price of admission for me.

Last edited:

This movie is better then Alien Res, AvP, and AvP-R. That's all that matters.

If that's all that matters than the bar is set pretty low. What matters is this was the much hyped return to sci-fi by the man who made two classics in the form of Alien and Blade Runner...two intelligent, extremely well made and highly regarded films of the genre. Prometheus didn't even come close to those movies. In fact, IMHO there's nothing in the film to me that distinguishes it as a Ridley Scott movie.

I'm of the opinion it was the studio wanted him to do it, his heart wasn't exactly into it, and did it begrudgingly. He phoned it in, & it shows in the final product.

Yeah, that's the thing. It's obviously better than AvP overall, but that's because of Scott's technical prowess and vision as a director. It has much better production values than AvP, much better design, and even a better cast overall. But unfortunately the script and characters are really no better. And that's ultimately the problem. Indeed the bar was supposed to be higher. The scenes with Fiefield and Dumb Geologist Dude could have been right out of an AvP film. That should never have happened.

I'm more excited about getting the Art Of book and a couple of eventual action figures than I am in actually seeing the movie again. And that's not good.

Just saw it. Here's the problem with this vs Scott's other sci-fi movies- Alien and Blade Runner had an ultimate bad guy. This movie was more about answering questions than the Prometheus crew vs 1 solid nemesis, like in his other movies.

I liked it. Excellent visuals and cinematography, and an excellent performance by Fassbender. I'll wait til a BD release to see it again, but I'm actually looking forward to that because after seeing a movie you know what to look for on the next go-around.

I thought the movie was rather predictable, and it was annoying how actors lines were thrown in to make sure you were keeping up with what was going on so far, but this is far from a bad movie. I give it an 8/10.

I have seen it twice now and still LOVE this flawed film. So it's not perfect, big freaking deal! It's still very well made and I will see it a 3rd time before it leaves the theater.

What it adds to the story of Alien far outways some questionable actions by characters and some stilted performances (looking at the guy who played Holloway, particularly the scene David gives him the drink) I still enjoy the hell out of it. Would I call The Road Warrior or Conan the Barbarian perfect films? No. Despite that, they are two of my favorite films. Prometheus has flaws, but I still find it very enjoyable and I think will end up a movie I watch a lot on Bluray.

If that's all that matters than the bar is set pretty low. What matters is this was the much hyped return to sci-fi by the man who made two classics in the form of Alien and Blade Runner...two intelligent, extremely well made and highly regarded films of the genre. Prometheus didn't even come close to those movies. In fact, IMHO there's nothing in the film to me that distinguishes it as a Ridley Scott movie.

I'm of the opinion it was the studio wanted him to do it, his heart wasn't exactly into it, and did it begrudgingly. He phoned it in, & it shows in the final product.

He didn't phone in. Visually, he was at the top of his game. The script was the issue. But that was Ridley's idea. He wanted you to fight over it.

Ridley's knew what he was doing he got people taking about his movie good or bad .

Exactly. I mean, if you hate the movie, at least understand that.

You wanted a film which made you think. You have it now. And you don't want it.

Its fine if you never wanted it....but eh. EHHH I say!

PROTOALIENxenomorphprometheus.jpg

Love that little guy.

People either loved this movie or hated it -- and all for the same reasons. It really does depend on the viewer's perspective because what some consider to be a fault, others can consider a strength.

Having that said... seeing it a third and final time this next weekend. :)

They would be more happy in the Madagascar 3 theater me thinks.

Their review is pretty good. That bit was done for laughs, and is pretty funny. But I can prove a few, and I have. I've been talking with them all day. So.

To me no reason for it to be there- Shaw and David go off to the sky...whatever else happens can be left to your imagination- we know the Alien is coming in time...

If that scene didn't exist, we wouldn't have gotten a hint as to how the Engineers view the humans... and maybe why they want to wipe them out. And everyone would've walked out of the theater thinking that familiar-looking monster on the mural was a god they worshipped.

Yeah, that's the thing. It's obviously better than AvP overall, but that's because of Scott's technical prowess and vision as a director. It has much better production values than AvP, much better design, and even a better cast overall. But unfortunately the script and characters are really no better. And that's ultimately the problem. Indeed the bar was supposed to be higher. The scenes with Fiefield and Dumb Geologist Dude could have been right out of an AvP film. That should never have happened.

I'm more excited about getting the Art Of book and a couple of eventual action figures than I am in actually seeing the movie again. And that's not good.

Disagree. But...i'll give you those two characters. They were dumb as ____. But they got what they deserved. So whatever.

You should see the movie again. Just stop expecting things to get better. Watch it as a whole, and not look so hard at the little things.

If that works, then well, great. If not...well, there ya go/

I have seen it twice now and still LOVE this flawed film. So it's not perfect, big freaking deal! It's still very well made and I will see it a 3rd time before it leaves the theater.

What it adds to the story of Alien far outways some questionable actions by characters and some stilted performances (looking at the guy who played Holloway, particularly the scene David gives him the drink) I still enjoy the hell out of it. Would I call The Road Warrior or Conan the Barbarian perfect films? No. Despite that, they are two of my favorite films. Prometheus has flaws, but I still find it very enjoyable and I think will end up a movie I watch a lot on Bluray.

Very well stated. I think it was a good movie but the design for me was my issue. There are stupid parts in every movie. I think the reason that so many members are lashing out about this movie is that WE LOVE ALIEN..........WE LOVE THE ALIEN UNIVERSE. I know I was expecting a movie of the same caliber as Alien or blade runner. I feel its a lesser movie because of certain decisions made either by the director or the studio. I feel let down but not in ANY WAY ready to give up on the Prometheus universe. I hope they make this into a trilogy, just not sure its going to make enough money for it to garner a trilogy.

A sequel is certainly likely. Ridley has expressed interest in one and the first film has definitely gotten the ball rolling; I think we'd get quite a few theory confirmations with a second movie. Plus it had a good first weekend.

Back