Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Ridley Scott's A L I E N Prequel 3D

Yeah, 3D Horror is the way to go. Plus we will be exploring a whole new origin planet I would guess, right? So it makes sense. For me I pretty much erased sequels after Aliens from memory so a cool preq could make a nice personal Ridley Cameron Ridley Trilogy.

Nice to know they're hammering out a script now, that means Ridley and the Studio have settled on a story and it should pick up speed.

I'm tired of 3D already, but happy to hear the other good news about this movie.

I just hope it makes sense. As in the tech looks older than in Alien, unless the ship in the first was thirty years old or older and had never had a refit. Then the tech should look to be from the same era.
I hate it when a prequel is made years after the original and the tech looks like it is more advanced than the original.

Star Wars, anyone?

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this. Since he's made Alien, Ridley Scott has made some landmark films. Hopefully this will be his next one.

*Crossed fingers*

Re: Official 3D ALIEN Prequel Discussion Thread

I would have said that before 'A Good Year', 'American Gangster' and 'Body of Lies' - all duds. He's been off his game of late. Hopefully an Alien project will spark the creative juices again.

I quite liked all three movies.
Especially "AGood Year"...
But you're right, I don't feel they are instant classics like Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. The again, you can't really expect everything the man does to be that great.

I'm a fan of RS but the last really good thing he did was Kingdom of Heaven (full dir. version not the emasculated studio cut) and before that Black Hawk Down (still one of the best war movies ever in my book). If he gets as invested as he did for those two movies then we could have a real winner. But everything since then has been kinda treading water for him. I'm still hopeful though...sci-fi seems to bring out the best in him.

I agree Black Hawk Down was brilliant.

No, his most recent films are not up to the standards of Blade Runner and Alien, but Scott's work is always above average. Always.

The again, you can't really expect everything the man does to be that great.

Precisely, there are few directors who succeed with everything they do. Hell, even Spielberg has some so-so pictures in his amazing body of work.

The only movie I'm going to weigh Ridley on for doing another Alien movie, is ALIEN. Where he's already done a film in this series before, and the film that laid the foundation for the whole series, I don't think it matters so much what he's done with other movies, a lot could go into why they seem good or not that has no bearing on how he could do an Alien film. It'd be like someone saying Cameron's going to direct Terminator 5, if his last well known movie was Titanic, I wouldn't say oh Cameron can't do T5, having established Terminator as what it should be, I'd have complete faith in him. The favorable thing for Ridley is there's a grand investment in Alien for him, it was one of his biggest successes, and he seems interested in telling a pre-Alien story even without the studio paying him to do it (DVD commentary). I'm confident, as long as FOX stays out of the way, that Ridley can give us a new Alien film that lives up to where he started it all.

Ok we know Ridleys doing it,but he could not have achieved a lots of the visual set and of course the Alien,which I still think looks better than all the rest,is Giger.

If its confirmed that Ridley is working in conjunction with Giger I know we will not be disappointed.

So Ill ask the question where is Giger in this mix.

Ridley needs Giger on this film

I quite liked all three movies.
Especially "AGood Year"...
But you're right, I don't feel they are instant classics like Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. The again, you can't really expect everything the man does to be that great.

Gladiator a classic already?:horror

From Slashfilm:

Last year it was announced that 20th Century Fox had hired Ridley Scott to direct a prequel to the classic sci-fi film Alien. At the time I believed that would never happen. Why would Scott return to film a prequel of one of the most popular sci-fi film franchises of all time? Why compete with yourself? Producing the film seems like a much safer bet. Who knows why, but Ridley Scott signed on to direct a prequel to Alien. We haven’t heard much about the project until now.

MTV spoke to the filmmaker about his new film Robin Hood and was able to uncover some details about this upcoming project. Scott says that the story has been decided, they are in their fourth draft, and that designers are already “working graphically on designs for the various requirements of the film.” In the next few weeks he’ll have to turn a ballpark budget figure to the studio, but Scott is adamant that the film is actually going to happen. What is the story about? Scott explains:

“It’s set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It’s fundamentally about going out to find out ‘Who the hell was that Space Jockey?’ The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer’s chair. … [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.

In a 2002 interview, Scott wanted to return “to where the alien creatures were first found and explain how they were created.” It sounds like this idea has been incorporated into the prequel/reboot. Jon Spaihts is writing the screenplay, a job he earned after pitching the studio and production company Scott Free. Spaihts has no produced credits, but has written Shadow 19 and Passengers, both of which are also sci-fi space thrillers. Star Wars and Alien art-director Roger Christian previously confirmed that the movie will be shot in 3D.

Scott says that Weaver likely won’t have a part in the movie, but reveals the main character is a woman. Also, we should expect the film in theaters “in late 2011, or maybe the best date in 2012.” What gets me excited about the project is Scott’s complete honesty about how the franchise has sucked dry (about Alien vs. Predator he said “I know it’s commerce, but what a pity”) and his lack of interest for ever making a sequel. Scott claims he’s “always avoided sequels” and is only directing this film becuase he feels “there was something fresh” Good enough for me…

Head on over to MTV for the full interview.

Read more: Ridley Scott’s Alien Prequel Details Revealed | /Film https://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/23/ridley-scotts-alien-prequel-details-revealed/#ixzz0lwA7MelS

Interesting...
I really hope H.R. Giger is involved...
Whom better than him to envisioning the Space Jockey's world!

Last edited:

Actually, the Derelict ship and Space Jockey Imagery did not originate from Giger. Ridley was inspired by images from the 1965 Film "Planet of the Vampires" which included a Derelict ship and a "Space Jockey" which in this case was an oversized Humanoid skeleton found by the derelict ship.

aapov.jpg

Last edited:

OK thanks for the info... but that's just the idea/concept...
the "Design" itself is Giger's
:D

Yes indeed. Prolly what happened is Ridley had Giger watch the Film or gave him images from POTZ to work from. The Ship, Interior and Space Jockey w telescope was Giger's. In fact Ridley loved his artwork so much he built the set to mirror it, whether it made story sense or not. And now, with the prequel revolving around that concept from the Italian Film, I thought, being an Artist Myself, due credit should be given to the original concept as it is rarely noted. :D

Last edited:

https://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1637638/story.jhtml

Scott: Yeah, the thing about "Alien vs. Predator" is, I know it's commerce, but what a pity. I think, therefore, I have to design — or redesign — earlier versions of what these elements are that led to the thing you finally see in "Alien," which is the thing that catapults out of the egg, the face-hugger.

Scott: I don't want to repeat it. The alien in a sense, as a shape, is worn out.

No mention of 3D either!

Read the article and it sounds very interesting!
It looks like a different direction, which is fine by me.

Back