Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

So, kinda afraid to be in this thread for fear of spoilage, but what's been the fan reaction? 50/50? 80/20 positive? 20/80 positive?

Thanks!

Re: Prometheus SUPER Spoilers!

How does Peter Weyland stay alive so long? TED video in 2023 and he had to have been 35-40 (atleast) there...and Prometheus takes place in 2093, correct?

Haven't seen it either so this question is for anyone who's seen it:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

So, kinda afraid to be in this thread for fear of spoilage, but what's been the fan reaction? 50/50? 80/20 positive? 20/80 positive?

Thanks!

Go and see the film with an open mind and don't pay attention to anyone elses view but your own.:wink1:

:hi5:

So, it sounds like the ship/jockey/engineer Prometheus encounter in this movie may actually be more advanced than the derelict jockey and eggs found on LV 426, kinda like Engineers had done more work on their "creations" since whatever failure took place on the derelict ship, so the Nostromo crew is actually discovering the remnants of a prequel story to the back story of Prometheus.

Okay, I'm dizzy now.:cuckoo:

So, it sounds like the ship/jockey/engineer Prometheus encounter in this movie may actually be more advanced than the derelict jockey and eggs found on LV 426, kinda like Engineers had done more work on their "creations" since whatever failure took place on the derelict ship, so the Nostromo crew is actually discovering the remnants of a prequel story to the back story of Prometheus.

Okay, I'm dizzy now.:cuckoo:

Spoiler Spoiler:

What the hell is a "flute".

I want to know all the things that can be interpreted as "links" to the A L I E N story.

The last minute is all you need to see. The Protoxeno was class!

How does Peter Weyland stay alive so long? TED video in 2023 and he had to have been 35-40 (atleast) there...and Prometheus takes place in 2093, correct?

He's old in Prometheus (on deaths door although I'm guessing life expectancy has improved by 2093 due to science) and has been in hypersleep for _ years...

Go and see the film with an open mind and don't pay attention to anyone elses view but your own.:wink1:

:goodpost: I always knew this was going to get mixed reviews because of its connection to Alien/Aliens. I think a lot of people will go see this movie with a good idea of what to expect & it may turn out completely different which might lead to dissapointment at 1st. This is one of them films which will probably take time before you really know how good or not it is because your not watching it for what it is, if that make sense.

Last edited:

:goodpost: I always knew this was going to get mixed feeling because of its connection to Alien/Aliens.

Indeed. There's fanboys on other forums going berserk over some aspects of the film. People need to relax and enjoy it for being a sci-fi film that's one of the best we've had over the past decade.

Lol, fair enough....man, I am usually the one telling that to other people; this one has me giddy as a kid - literally

Ok, this is a first for me - preorder email sent to me from Amazon on this movie and it aint even out yet (in U.S.)

Want to know how the Engineer activates his ship systems? He picks up a little flute from the desk and plays a little tune. I'm serious. That is in the movie. And the buttons on the control sections are small very cheap looking white squishy balls.

I love: the look of the movie, Charlize, Fassbender, the Hammerpeed, the protoalien, the C-section.

I hate: Guy Pearce in geriatric make-up, the flute, the enormous gaps in logic, the amount of verbal exposition from characters who have no way to know the ____ they are saying, the ending.

But my biggest problem by far is when people seem determined to dismiss the script issues with "that's because it's not linked to Alien". It's very obvious to anyone who is into this stuff that this is not a prequel to Alien. But wait...

1. Gigeresque designs, interiors and the actual spacecraft from Alien.. Check.
2. Sinister white blooded android who has secret plans... Check.
3. Pale snake-tailed creature that jumps and attaches itself to helmeted crew member in a dark room full of strange objects.. Check.
4. Organic Acid melting helmets and such.. Check.
5. Main protagonist is a shockingly strong woman with shoulder length brown hair and a jumpsuit... Check.
6. Gory, alien birthing from stomach sequence... Check.
7. Pale yellow face hugger creature... Check.
8. Black _____ headed alien xeno... Check.
9. "this is the final log entry from..." speech at end... Check.
10. Flamethrowers... Check.

I could go on, yup this movie has nothing to do with Alien, yet it copies its best scenes with absolutely no context.

Lazy lazy writing. These are not intellectual questions left for the viewer to ponder? These are just narrative jumps and motivations which make no sense. He did this in Lost to be dramatic, then always tried to explain himself out of the BS afterwards. Difference is here, it's a movie, he doesn't have that luxury. And whilst I stil love it for its visual sophistication, the only story is that there isn't one. If the script had been just a little better they might have pulled it off. But they don't even ask interesting questions. The only scene which gets close to this is between David and Holoway, when they talk about their makers, you have seen that already, and that's pretty much it. Then David puts a drop of bio goo into Holoways glass for NO reason. And he mutates.

And there are no boobies...

Last edited:

Then David puts a drop of bio goo into Holoways glass for NO reason. And he mutates.

David knew full well what he was doing. He had seen how the ampoules had reacted to foreign contamination so I was under the impression he was under orders to test it out on a human.

David knew full well what he was doing. He had seen how the ampoules had reacted to foreign contamination so I was under the impression he was under orders to test it out on a human.

Oh, I know he knew what he was doing, but there were no hints to why?
There was nothing to gain for Weyland to do so. Nothing.
The only tonally correct answer was he just wanted to see what happens, but this doesn't fit in with him being an android.

And how did the captain suddenly announce to the audience that this isn't the Engineers home world, that it is a military base?!
The captain never even left the ship, and the characters which did never found any information to draw those conclusions from?
(a terrible OTT performance from Idris IMO).

How did two experienced scientists with 3D mapping technology and full ship communication get lost on the way back to the ship,
only to contact the ship ages after the rest of the crew had already returned?

Why did they stick probes into a long dead engineer head and blow it up?

Why was Guy Pearse a man in his 40's playing a 100 year old geriatric (badly)?

How did David's head know that the last engineer was coming for Shaw?

I have no problem with the more open "mystery" elements not being addressed directly..
"what were the engineers doing?"
"where did they go?""Why did they want to destroy earth?"
Those are subjective and discussable. The plot holes and narrative jumps are not.

Hmm.. all these questions and more..won't be answered in prometheus..
The narrative flow in the trailers makes more sense than anything in the movie.

But I agree it's still the best sci-fi movie in a decade.

Last edited:

My brothers hated it. I normally trust their judgment. From what they said goes on in the film, it all sounds a bit silly and overly reliant on happenstance.

Spoiler Spoiler:

My brothers hated it. I normally trust their judgment. From what they said goes on in the film, it all sounds a bit silly and overly reliant on happenstance.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

That's my plan.

Having just rewatched Alien 1 -4 on that badass blu ray, I am ready for something different, frankly. In a weird way, those movies set my proper mood for this one - I don't want same ol' same ol'

Just placed my IMAX tix for fri, here.....pumped!

Just hope that unlike Snow White and the Huntsman, Charlize Theron doesn't scream at the camera constantly!

Last edited:
Back