Official License = Rights to the actors likeness?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5x10

Super Freak
Reaction score
I not sure if being officially licensed includes having the rights to the actors likeness?
threezero is producing 1/6th scale robocop(2014) figures and thay have the license
ther first head sculpt represented the actor very well, they were pretty close to perfect on it IMO
a week after pre order opened, they change the sculpt (on facebook but not on the website page of the product)
im wondering if they lost out on the likeness

View attachment 145777

Updated prototype.

View attachment 145778

Last edited:
Yes. And that usually stems from the original contract between the actor and the owner of the property/license. In the Marvel Studios movies for example, those actors seem to sign away likeness rights as those characters for merchandising purposes as a standard part of their contract. The actors in X-Men films don't sign similar agreements, so collectible/toy companies have to negotiate separately for the rights to use their likeness.

Yes. And that usually stems from the original contract between the actor and the owner of the property/license. In the Marvel Studios movies for example, those actors seem to sign away likeness rights as those characters for merchandising purposes as a standard part of their contract. The actors in X-Men films don't sign similar agreements, so collectible/toy companies have to negotiate separately for the rights to use their likeness.

perfect, thanks for the answer
so im inclined to think that 3zero did not secure the rights, hence the change in head sculpt likeness

View attachment 145777

Updated prototype.

View attachment 145778

now i questions their motives, as they still have the original head sculpt up on the product order page

Maybe they haven't updated it yet
the fact that they havent is why I question their motives
they updated(ie: just discreetly added the new headsculpt in the robo pics) facebook, but not the product page.
case of the ol' bait and swtich?

I emailed 3zero and asked them which head sculpt will be the production piece, the one on the product website or the one on facebook
They responded with facebook
Maybe they didn't understand my question

Thats just different light and camera but Hot toys tend change thing from prototype but in good way.

Maybe I'm just not as versed in these figures as most, I've only been collecting for a few years now, but they look almost the same to me. I think there is some subtle lighting differences and the angle at which its shot is different. Like I said thought that's just my opinion.

yeah, im confused
in the email below, i specifically ask which photo is of the production piece as there are two face sculpt photos, in 2 different locations
on the product website, where you can order, it shows the prototype sculpt but not the other picture(lets call it the updated version for convo)
on their facebook page, they show the updated version, but not the proto

so im wondering if they know enough english to understand what I am asking. I also emailed them and asked if they had kinnamons rights to likeness

yeah, im confused
in the email below, i specifically ask which photo is of the production piece as there are two face sculpt photos, in 2 different locations
on the product website, where you can order, it shows the prototype sculpt but not the other picture(lets call it the updated version for convo)

so im wondering if they know enough english to understand what I am asking. I also emailed them and asked if they had kinnamons rights to likeness

In my experience with emailing companies, stores, ebay sellers you oftentimes simply won't get your questions answered no matter how clear you are.

yeah, im confused

I don't understand your question though?
You say the order website are the older prototype pics and the Facebook ones are new = you're getting the Facebook one as that's a new production shot.

Unfortunately thats how every company - Sideshow / Hot Toys / Enterbay / Blitzway / Big Chief - do it. Get in all the pre-orders with a master painted prototype 6 months early, then send out a far lesser quality mass produced piece.
At least MOST of them give final production pics on their Facebook pages ....Sideshow generally avoids this though, for obvious reasons....

I highly doubt ThreeZero would have bothered to do a human Robo head sculpt if they hadn't secured the likeness of the actor. Hot Toys have only ever released Wolverine from the X-Men because Hugh Jackman is so far the only one they have secured their likeness from. They wouldn't bother releasing a figure from any of the other characters if they had to change the sculpt to not look like the actor.

I think ThreeZero think this is an improvement on the sculpt. I think it still looks like Kinneman, it just has less wrinkles and the nose is smaller.

Certainly the first sculpt was better, but perhaps it is not attainable in production and the new sculpt is the first of what the production team are capable of.

Back