Official Harry Potter Figure Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all that said, the digital sculpt looks pretty good to me. So something in the casting and painting process messing up the likeness imo

The sculpt looks pretty close to the original 3d rendering. This comparison here shows that the prototype may be a hint wider, but that could also be because of differing angles. The issue for me here is the overall lack of anatomy in the sculpt. There is nothing natural at all about the aging and wrinkles here. It would almost be better if it was just reduced overall.

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 10.53.11 AM.jpg

It's funny you guys mentioning HP Lego as that too is something I've thought of getting into. The sets look really cool. I've even thought of buying the lego video game on PS4 just to have something fun to play in between heavier games.

I am casually into legos. I mostly go for the huge sets to have something to do for fun while bored during the pandemic. Diagon Alley is the first Potter set I have, but what is cool about it is the crazy amount of characters it comes with. As far as the game goes, it is just as fun as Lego Star Wars was. They nicely remastered it and it covers all of the movies. It is $5 on the Playstation store, you have nothing to lose!

Lego really is the best way to collect HP, IMO. No other lines compare. Unfortunately for me, due to lack of display options (and cats) I can't get into Legos.

The sculpt doesn't look like Maggie Smith at all, and the paintwork isn't good, either, with the wrinkles.

My opinion, this looks like a really jacked-up version of Sigourney Weaver (it's the eyes) more than a really jacked-up version of Maggie Smith. I think the original Hermione is still their best work.

That digital sculpt looked great. Shame it got distorted.

I dunno what you are seeing there, the wrinkles defy anatomy and look slapped on. Both the render and the prototype have her looking like a burn victim.

Big Bad Toy Store is selling Mcgonagall for $240 for regular and $350 for the dx set. I’m sorry but for those prices this need to be much better. I love the potter series but I can’t even come to pity buying this one.

Wow, I hadn't been watching this thread but was just on Sideshow and saw Mcgonagall on the front page.... and was terrified, lol.

So for all the people who say how "bad" Hot Toys is and how they "phone it in"... and the backlash and insults thrown around
for the Mark 85 headsculpt... pay attention to products like this and be thankful that Hot Toys figures look as great as they do.

The sculpt looks pretty close to the original 3d rendering. This comparison here shows that the prototype may be a hint wider, but that could also be because of differing angles. The issue for me here is the overall lack of anatomy in the sculpt. There is nothing natural at all about the aging and wrinkles here. It would almost be better if it was just reduced overall.

I am casually into legos. I mostly go for the huge sets to have something to do for fun while bored during the pandemic. Diagon Alley is the first Potter set I have, but what is cool about it is the crazy amount of characters it comes with. As far as the game goes, it is just as fun as Lego Star Wars was. They nicely remastered it and it covers all of the movies. It is $5 on the Playstation store, you have nothing to lose!
haha well we all see things differently. To me, the paint and/or casting distortion altered an otherwise pretty good looking digital sculpt. Paint is something I can fix myself, so I don't mind to much. However, I will still wait for in hand reviews before deciding fully even if right now I'm ok with what I'm seeing.

RE-Legos: Cool! I've only ever played Lego Indiana Jones which was a very long time ago, but I remember it being fun. The only lego sets I have currently are from the architecture series as that's my profession and ppl seem to like to get me those as gifts :lol
That digital sculpt looked great. Shame it got distorted.
My thoughts exactly.

I’ve long wanted to make a Dowager Countess from Downton Abbey, but that headsculpt isn’t inspiring to make the effort. Hopefully it is a paint issue and handing it to a master painter can rectify it.

Man, I just checked out the review of Draco on Michael Crawford's site...just a continuation of what to expect from Star Ace. Of course, reviews are 100% subjective but I genuinely am surprised his SA HP reviews always garner such high marks. Always.

Man, I just checked out the review of Draco on Michael Crawford's site...just a continuation of what to expect from Star Ace. Of course, reviews are 100% subjective but I genuinely am surprised his SA HP reviews always garner such high marks. Always.

People suspect he may have stakes in the company, or something. Who knows, he?s given high scores to some truly abysmal figures by them.

No, they just send him all the figures for free, so of course, he's going to think it's pretty good.

If he said they were crappy, they'd stop sending him free stuff.

He stopped posting his ads here after he was called out on it. Pretty much confirmation.

There's no way a Star Ace figure in the same price range as a Hot Toys figure is a *** out **** star figure.

Yea I gotta agree. Even though I love my HP figures now that I've put some heavy work into them, they're no way spectacular right out of the box. I won't lie and say not having to pay for a figure would also help me go a little easier on it seeing how I had no skin in it, but I'm also not a known source for figure reviews :lol It's like how a bunch of folks trashed the Hot Toys POTC Angelica figure until SS started to give them away and all of sudden that figure wasn't so bad afterall. It's different when you don't feel like you wasted $200+ on something I guess.

With all that said, considering we only got 2 figures from HT for Fantastic Beasts, I'm glad they don't have the HP license. My only issues with Star Ace are the terrible production paint, the fact that they use the same size hands for their teen figures as the adult figures (which make the adult hands look undersized even though Crawfords says they're perfectly scaled-lies), and their terrible ankle joint/foot system.

Can only commend you for putting in so much work on these figures. To my opinion these are not worth the asking price. Much like the Asmus LotR figures which always require customizing to really shine. Although you can't post that in the LotR section without some serious pushback. The Harry Potter franchise deserves better. :(

Harry Potter does deserve better. Honestly with this line I think it's the paint they're messing up on, a lot of the sculpts look just fine.

Harry Potter does deserve better. Honestly with this line I think it's the paint they're messing up on, a lot of the sculpts look just fine.

I agree that the paint is not spectacular, but many of these underlying head sculpts are simply sub par as well. Combine those two things and you have a disaster like this recent McGonagall.

Back