Official Harry Potter Figure Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has Chronicle Collectibles done anything with the Harry Potter license? I remember reading over a year ago on their facebook page that they had it, and its been a year and they have nothing to show for it.

They have gone out of business..so no lol.

I went ahead and picked up Star Ace 1/6 Newt with the extra grey coat from Amazon for only $150. Looking forward to seeing how my first Wizarding World figure looks in hand. The only other Star Ace figure I have is Leonidas that I did a bunch of work on to be satisfied with but it?s part of the fun for me.

23F4C3EB-5D35-4006-BF55-0087AB654563.jpg

After some truly terrible releases from star ace I?m pleasantly surprised by this one.

Teased on star ace page for 2021.

The eyes are off. And while the wrinkles around the mouth are probably accurate, to some degree, the effect on the sculpt borders on disfigurement.

The eyes are off. And while the wrinkles around the mouth are probably accurate, to some degree, the effect on the sculpt borders on disfigurement.

Yeah it looks like scarring instead of natural aging - almost more like a burn victim. The sculpting of the lips also makes her look like she is sucking on a lemon.

In the photos there is such a dramatic difference between the sculpting of the children and her. It is a shame that Star Ace fails so badly in that department as of late. I want to like this set, but the sculpt kills it for me.

I think she looks good. My only issue is with the hat brim not being at an angle like it’s supposed to be. I also think the likeness shows even more in the hat off pics. The wrinkles will soften in production. You have to do them deep in the proto as all details tend to get softer in the mass produced casting process. This happens with HT and any other company as well.

I’m a new fan of the Star Ace HP figures. I really do like them though I will say my love for the figures is partly due to the fact that I love find out how how I can improve them. Within the last month I’ve purchased Newt, Snape and Sirius and all have been worked on extensively. I’ll get her just have to decide if the deluxe pack is worth the extra $100+. Still waiting on my Lupin to arrive as well. Can’t wait to get to work on him!

I really hope we get older versions of the trio that are sort of all in one similar to the new older Draco figure as well as a new version of Gambon Dumbledore (maybe more HBP with straight hair, cursed hand his desk and Faux). Of course I say this mostly b/c I’m so late in collecting these that I can’t find POA Harry not OOTP Dumbledore :lol

Last edited:
Happy to see this announced. :) I don't think it's too bad a figure, given some of their recent offerings and this is my most wanted character from this line. Given some of the recent Potter figures am not sure if I'll risk a pre-order (on the normal version) or just wait to see how the final product turns out...decisions, decisions.

Yeah it looks like scarring instead of natural aging - almost more like a burn victim. The sculpting of the lips also makes her look like she is sucking on a lemon.

In the photos there is such a dramatic difference between the sculpting of the children and her. It is a shame that Star Ace fails so badly in that department as of late. I want to like this set, but the sculpt kills it for me.

Yeah I totally agree here. I mean does the likeness "evoke" the character? Sure... but anatomically it's just a mess. There is nothing natural about those wrinkles... there's no... gravity to them. It does quite literally like like she has pursed lips from a sour lemon or something versus age-related wrinkles. Just look at these screenshots... nothing like this natural wrinkling to be found on this sculpt...

Lm84hTA.png

JXKdFZC.jpg

Yikes, those macro photos show how amateur the paint work is. The "wrinkles" look like the aftermath of a skin graft for burn treatment.

I at one time thought all three of the Year 1 kiddos were good releases, but seeing them with other figures of average presentation, I think it brings some clarity to how weak this line has been, and continues to be. The only standout is Year 1 Hermoine, always has been.

I guess we are so used to how bad this company is we see something NOT horrendous and think it looks good. That likeness is terrible sorry.

I don't have a strong mental image of Maggie Smith, but when I saw the Star Ace version of McGonagall, I knew it was wrong.

A real shame how terrible their headsculpts have been, since, what? Hagrid? Some real gems like Harris Dumbledore but far too many failures. Makes me glad I chose the lego Harry Potter figures for my collection instead. The likeness there are surprisingly good at times for such a stylized style :lol

A real shame how terrible their headsculpts have been, since, what? Hagrid? Some real gems like Harris Dumbledore but far too many failures. Makes me glad I chose the lego Harry Potter figures for my collection instead. The likeness there are surprisingly good at times for such a stylized style :lol

Yeah I’d take stylized over whatever this is. When it comes to portraits getting bad... I think Snape was the first travesty with it all going down hill from there. As far as good sculpts go... Both Dumbledore sculpts were great, the year one kids, Voldemort, and the Sirius figures all looked good.

The Lego line is great - My wife got me the Lego Diagon Alley for Christmas... I need to take time to assemble that.

Last edited:
The nice thing about that set is it’s really 4 completely separate sets so you can build one shop and have a complete set and not have an awkward WIP unstable set if you don’t have time to assemble a 5,000 piece set all at once. It’s kind of a shame they’ve bundled them together because I think 4 $100 sets would sell better than 1 $400 set. Gringots missing makes me think we’ll see more expansions to the set.

But it’s hard to beat lego in terms of character depth so for people wanting a full cast of characters, that something that a 1:6 line would never offer.

I know the likeness doesn't look strong in the SA pics, but I still like what I'm seeing besides the hat. I also think what would help is a thicker and longer neck. As shown in the real images, Maggie Smith's neck is about as wide as her jaw with a considerable amount of neck exposed between the chin and the start of her collar. I guess my expectations are that I would need to work on them from the get go (sort of like Sideshow figures) so I see the positive in what I can work with to help bring more out vs the negatives. With that said, just like with Sideshow figures, it makes it that much harder to swallow a full price tag. I will say though, these figures obviously sell and folks hold onto them (aside from Teen Ron and Hermione, you can find those anywhere still) b/c most of the others are getting harder to find. With how much folks seem to be let down by this line, for someone like me coming into it late, I thought I'd find all the ones I wanted easily and for cheap :lol

With all that said, the digital sculpt looks pretty good to me. So something in the casting and painting process messing up the likeness imo

SA MinervaMcG.jpg

The Lego line is great - My wife got me the Lego Diagon Alley for Christmas... I need to take time to assemble that.

But it's hard to beat lego in terms of character depth so for people wanting a full cast of characters, that something that a 1:6 line would never offer.
It's funny you guys mentioning HP Lego as that too is something I've thought of getting into. The sets look really cool. I've even thought of buying the lego video game on PS4 just to have something fun to play in between heavier games.

Last edited:
Back