Official Asajj Ventress Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting points DS. Looking at it that way, you could almost lable Sideshow's figure as Tartakovsky Asajj and Adam's Custom as Lucas Asajj, because it deffinitely feels like something you'd see on screen, though Lucas tends not to go so dark, so she might be toned down in the demonic/vampiric sense for film. Seeing Adam's custom makes me wish Asajj had screen time in the PT.

Interesting points DS. Looking at it that way, you could almost lable Sideshow's figure as Tartakovsky Asajj and Adam's Custom as Lucas Asajj, because it deffinitely feels like something you'd see on screen, though Lucas tends not to go so dark, so she might be toned down in the demonic/vampiric sense for film. Seeing Adam's custom makes me wish Asajj had screen time in the PT.

honestly I bet 50 different customizers could do "screen versions" of Assaj,a nd they'd all look different and be completely legitimate. I'd LOVE to see all the possibilites!

honestly I bet 50 different customizers could do "screen versions" of Assaj,a nd they'd all look different and be completely legitimate. I'd LOVE to see all the possibilites!

I'm sure they could, I can count about a half dozen which have emerged so far. That's the beauty of the figure, there's lots of room for interpretation.

Well, my personal opinion is, if it ain't on-screen, it's open to interpretation. The comics, novels, cartoons, games, and toys are all subjective bits of merchandising, with the movies being the final word.

My personal take on Assajj is that she should be creepy-looking. She's a STAR WARS villain. I kinda feel that all the 'realistic' versions of her paint her as a rather unscary black & white photo of a bald supermodel. If I was in charge, she'd have those nasty Sith eyes, sharp teeth, and the complexion of a cadaver. All the result of dabbling in the Dark Side of the Froce without ANY instruction; she's the result of years spent 'exposed to the reactor without wearing a radiation suit'.

I'm neither right nor wrong; it's just one fan having fun. The ONLY thing I stand firm on is that there's no right Assajj or wrong Assajj, until she show's up in a movie or in a live-action TV show. Even in animation, there's still a subjective abstraction going on. Anything we all do is just customization fun.

Here's a point: where do her lightsabers go? If you go by the first HASBRO figure, she wears them on her hips, like a gunfighter. That's what Sideshow did for their 12" figure. But if you look at the ART OF ATTACK OF THE CLONES book, pages 112-116, she's got them crossed in front of her in an 'X' pattern. The last sketch on page 116 where she looks like she's got them on holsters? She's buckling/unbuckling her belt, and it just looks they're side-mounted; they're not HANGING ON HER HIPS. But someone at either HASBRO or Lucasfilm licensing didn't look too hard at the drawing, so now we have the holster version, although none of the original designs indicate it. So, which version is right? Which is wrong? None of them,, and all of them.

But that's just my opinion. It's my toy and I can do what I want with it. Nyeh.

-AH!

By atomhues

I dunno... Lucas tends to not go so dark, until it personally suits him, I think. The shots in ANH where blaster bolts hit human Imperials in the chest were trimmed down to be less violent for the Special Editions, but then at the end of REVENGE OF THE SITH, Anakin bursts into flames and burns alive, screaming, onscreen.

Personally, I kinda like my STAR WARS a little more dark, like ANH, EMPIRE, and REVENGE, and a little less sanitized for kids, like the other three. But that's just me! It's all good. The Assajj on my shelf is a creepy Sith wannabe; everyone's entitled to living in their own private Alderaan, right?

Toys are fun!

-AH!

Congratulations for your custom Mr. Hughes. I'm decided to try on my own figure...But I'd like to ask you what kind of paint has been used?? because the result is really awesome!!!!!! and forgive me for this one...I know it's an offtopic but I've asked in different forums And haven't had a clarifying answer...could u please telll me how do you call the "object" you use in your sketches???I mean...is it a pen? a pencil?? Is it kind of grey watercolor??? I saw you using it on a video on youtube and I'm going insane trying to find something similar.Thank you

Last edited:
Congratulations for your custom Mr. Hughes. I'm decided to try on my own figure...But I'd like to ask you what kind of paint has been used?? because the result is realy awesome!!!!!! and forgive me for this one...I know it's offtopic but I've asked in different forums And haven't had a clarifying answer...could u please telll me how do you call the object you use in your sketches???I mean...is it a pen? a pencil?? Is it kind of grey watercolor??? I saw you using it on a video on youtube and I'm going insane trying to find something similar.Thank you

Ah, ok! First, the pencil I'm using is called a lead holder. You can get them at any and every art supply store in the country. You buy the leads in whatever softness you prefer, 2B, 4H, whatever. You need to buy the little drum sharpener, as well, although some lead holders have tiny little sharpeners in the "press with thumb to get the lead out" end.

As for paints, I use Polly S Railroad acrylics for my painting, usually through an airbrush. I'll use a thin brush for details like lips and eyes.

I use ground-up pastels on sandpaper, then applied with a Q-Tip cotton swab, for things like blush and stuff. The warm color in the nose and ears, a hint of five-o'clock shadow on a guy. I seal after each application with celar coat.

For clear coating, I like to use Testor's flat, semi-gloss, and gloss clear-coat. It's OK to use enamel-based stuff with acrylics, as long as they are dry. Meaning, you can put a coat of enamel clear-coat on a coat of acrylic paint, as long as the acrylic is completely dry.

I like to airbrush the whole head with flat clear-coat, and then use a paint brush to put (in Assajj's case) gloss clear-coat on her eyes and lips.

Hope that helps!

-AH!

Of course it helps!! just can't believe AH is giving me some advice!!. As for the lead holder...I meant what you used on a sketch to shadow Zatanna's fishnets, lips, cheeks, eyes...etc....it gave some "shadow effect". Excuse me for my english hehe ;) sure the language is a problem

Last edited:
in a piece like this one....

Adam starts with the lead holder he described to draw the image. He then erases it down to very pale lines, and inks over them with a felt tip pen. After that, he colors the piece with the cool gray Copic Markers (with the occasional spot color; in this case a red) and for the final touches he will sometimes go back with a little bit of white ink and a brush to put in highlights. Its important to note; this is how Adam works for his convention sketches. His artwork for publications (comic book covers, etc) is a completely different process.

very impressive custom from adam hughes..!!!the shots of her walking away from dooku and sidious is my fave!!:D..salute!!!

IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

Adam made look so evil I want her more and more.

I am in-love with her.

Folks,
The eyes are even creepier in person. Pay extra attention to the soft pink blood vessels in the skull and the subtle pink in her ears and nose. I pretty much collect only the original trilogy stuff but if Sideshow's model looked this good I would have bought it. I can't wait to see what he does when Indy finally comes out.

By atomhues[/QUOTE]

Back