Off to New York... what toy shops do they have??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dellyboy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been invited to go New York later this year and as you can imagine i am very excited! I am from the UK where hot toys and other HIgh end toys are close to double the price they are in the United States.
I was hoping to call on your previous experiences or local knowledge to find out what toy shops they have there and who sells what. Any advice would be great! Also if you guys know any special eateries or anything else that would be awesome to visit whilst in the Big apple iwould love to know.

Many thanks.
Dellyboy

Midtown comics for statues, toys, comics, etc. Also image anime for Japanese statues, transformers, model kits and more. They are both in the heart of new York city, oh and toyrus duh! Have fun!

Hi all, I have been invited to go New York later this year and as you can imagine i am very excited! I am from the UK where hot toys and other HIgh end toys are close to double the price they are in the United States.
I was hoping to call on your previous experiences or local knowledge to find out what toy shops they have there and who sells what. Any advice would be great! Also if you guys know any special eateries or anything else that would be awesome to visit whilst in the Big apple iwould love to know.

Many thanks.
Dellyboy

Why are the prices double in the UK? The exchange rate is really great if you're buying stuff on ebay from US. I just sold a few collectibles to two buyers that live in the UK. I have question for you, why is UK customs so slow? It takes three days for a package to get to the UK from America, and then your customs takes forever, really don't like selling to the UK buyers because of this.

I live in NYC.

The shop on Mott is worth checking out sometimes there's the odd gem there.

Your first and most important stop would be forbidden planet in union square. It's got all the most recent hot toys figures and the odd enterbay or bootleg I.e. the metal boss at the best prices. Lots of graphic novels and new 6 inch NECA type figures. The best spot in the city bar none.

You might find the odd thing at St Marks comics in the east village. Or Midtown. Midtown is pretty much only good for statues and back issues though. They are weak on everything else. The ome closer to times square is the bigger and better one.

Image anime might have the odd thing, thats close to Penn station close to 10th.

Finally you are going to want to hit up Toy Tokyo in the east village on 1st. Lots of rare imports cool bootlegged figures and many new items too.

Spend a day in dumbo and Williamsburg to get a sense of the way the non posh celebrity modern young hipster struggling to make it lives. Brooklyn is the new Manhattan for the coolest place in the tri state area.

Be sure to hit up the museums, MOMA and the Guggemhiem are great for art the Met for ancient history, Museum of national history is neat too and the Intrepid is great, lots of cool cold war era military ships.

Don't look in a tourist guide for restaurants, they will send you to TGIF in times square or bubba gump. Total waste for the best cuisine capital in America, but you will have to tell me the district you are staying in,neat part of the city. Just no way to recommend anything otherwise.

Go to PDT, for world class mixology in a bar filled with taxidermy in the back of a hot dog stand in a secret door in the east village. Make your fiends think you're cool. Lol.

Have fun .

Also if you want novelty check out the big FAO shwartz on fifth or the big TRU in times square. You won't find any cool 1/6 or high end stuff there but you can stare at the big t Rex lol

Also skip broadway it's totally lame. Get tickets for fuerza bruta, it's in union square. Trust me you'll never see anything like it.

There's also this eyes wide shut type thing you can go to. I forgot the name. It's EWS minus the orgies. So only half as fun.

Midtown comics have 3 stores in the city, for sideshow & other large statues goto the midtown comic in times square (40th & 7ave go up the stairs to 2nd floor) I think that's the only store around the metro area that has a large number of sideshow statues on display. If anyone know any other store around nyc/nj that has sideshow statues on display pls let me know i am interested.

The problem with midtown comics is if you buy from store they refuse to give you the 10% discount + pay taxes and if you order from the web with the 10% discount they refuse to let you pickup locally and rip you off on shipping. So i dont buy much from them anymore mostly just go there to look.

I definatly agree with Raymond that you should hit up Forbidden Planet in Union Square. Whenever im in New York it is always one of my stops.
It is really the only place you can go to get Hot Toys in person at fair prices.

Ugh, toy Tokyo is way overpriced, and the people that work there come off as pretentious. Cool place to just shop around with your eyes, but personally speaking, I wouldn't bust out my wallet unless it's an offbeat toy. Hot toys or other types of action figures, I'd go to the shop on Mott st and the highly recommended forbidden planet. Like someone mentioned, you can get HT for msrp.

Wow this is all great stuff, thankyou guys! We have a forbidden planet here in london and although it has a decent collection of action figures and 1/6, i know that overseas you guys will take it to the next level!
Raymond your advice is golden mate thanks, have to treat you to a pint to say thanks lol. We are getting a hotel off of times square so we can be in the centre of it all. Midtown, toys r us, forbidden planet, sound like the best ones, but i will go see em all! (i really wanna pick up the Dx09 batman and anything mortal kombat) I have been recommended to go check out a big shopping village called Woodbury for clothes, gifts etc.

Our flights are in september, i would of thought that the weather is still good then? So many places i wanna see - ground zero, central park, wall street, the very sexy statue of liberty. All the typical tourist things really. Looking to try the best pizza NYC has to offer so any ideas of where to go?

I've been to both Forbidden Planets - the one in London and the one in NYC - and I think I prefer the one in New York. I believe the London one is bigger, with a more extensive comic/tpb collection, but for toys it's no contest, if only for the prices.

Midtown Comics is also good. I went to one of the others as well as Times Square... the one on Lexington. It had a few good buys there as well. I think I picked up the Sideshow Cobra Officer there.

Toy Tokyo is great. Expensive, yes, but worth a visit even if you don't buy anything. I actually picked up vintage Ninja Viper sealed in its mail-away baggie for a good price there, but it's mostly import stuff, as you can imagine.

Definitely go to TRU Times Square and FAO Schwartz, just for fun.

And while Ray sounds like he knows what he's talking about, I have a feeling he's a bit biased toward Broadway. :) Don't pass up a show or two. There's so much playing, you can't just write it all off as "lame", and there's something for anyone. I've only seen a few, but I enjoyed them all, especially Avenue Q, which you can probably get cheap tickets for at TKTS. I would personally love to see the Book of Mormon as well...

And while Ray sounds like he knows what he's talking about, I have a feeling he's a bit biased toward Broadway. :) Don't pass up a show or two. There's so much playing, you can't just write it all off as "lame", and there's something for anyone. I've only seen a few, but I enjoyed them all, especially Avenue Q, which you can probably get cheap tickets for at TKTS. I would personally love to see the Book of Mormon as well...

Those are the two shows I'd recommend to see if you see any. And Jersey Boys. All those three are great.

Just DON'T see Spiderman. You will be horrified for life.

Those are the two shows I'd recommend to see if you see any. And Jersey Boys. All those three are great.

Just DON'T see Spiderman. You will be horrified for life.

I don't know if it's still playing, but I also saw Cages aux Folles with Kelsey Grammar. I know it's gay even for Broadway, but it was also friggin' hilarious.

I haven't heard anything good about Spiderman...

Back