Oculus Rift General Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The future is now...

Kinect would be great as long as it's fast and can detect fingers, at the moment it's neither of those things.
The PrioVR isn't bad, I think it's a better solution than the Virtuix Omni, though it doesn't solve the space problem. I don't think the PrioVR needs as many sensors though. The Sixense system can use less sensors and can track almost all movements, the only thing it's not getting is the direction of your elbows or knees.

Kinect would be great as long as it's fast and can detect fingers, at the moment it's neither of those things.
The PrioVR isn't bad, I think it's a better solution than the Virtuix Omni, though it doesn't solve the space problem. I don't think the PrioVR needs as many sensors though. The Sixense system can use less sensors and can track almost all movements, the only thing it's not getting is the direction of your elbows or knees.

Agreed. Kinect needs to be as low latency as possible and if it could read hand gestures, that'd be awesome. Can the Kinect 2 do that?

Omni is just a stand isn't it. It allows you to walk and run in place while the Kinect reads all of your movements. That was my understanding anyway.

I'm liking what I see from Sixense so far.

Its only a matter of time..

Total_Recall_a_l.jpg

Seriously though, I'm pretty excited about this especially if Valve is getting involved.

Last edited:

Agreed. Kinect needs to be as low latency as possible and if it could read hand gestures, that'd be awesome. Can the Kinect 2 do that?

Omni is just a stand isn't it. It allows you to walk and run in place while the Kinect reads all of your movements. That was my understanding anyway.

I'm liking what I see from Sixense so far.

Kinect 2 can't, unless you get close enough, and white it's faster than the first one, it's not as fast as actual motion trackers.

Omni has sensors in the shoes, and the ring can detect if you're trying to jump or crouch, but it all just gets translated to keyboard button presses, which is why it's compatible with games.

I'm still keeping my order for the Dev Kit 2, but I would imagine that while they will continue with a focus on game development it will switch to other areas and we won't get as much improvement for games as we would have otherwise.

They do have more money to spend on developments--but some of those things won't matter to other industries so we'll see how it goes.

I'm still keeping my order for the Dev Kit 2, but I would imagine that while they will continue with a focus on game development it will switch to other areas and we won't get as much improvement for games as we would have otherwise.

They do have more money to spend on developments--but some of those things won't matter to other industries so we'll see how it goes.
Yeah, I'm pretty skeptical myself. A high end be-all gaming device for VR isn't really something FB cares about. They just want a platform for mobile gaming and social media. It's a catch 22. VR will get more exposure than ever now, but it may be a crappy VR no one wants. I personally have no interest in FB chatting in VR or playing Farmville VR. I want to stay positive and hope for the best, but this things smells a little ripe to me. It'll all be sunshine and roses blown up our collective a$$es for a while, so the real result of this is going to take time to see for certain.

Best case scenario that I can see is a top of the line Rift that uses some stupid FB app store interface and requires a sign in. Worst is a watered down POS that plugs into smart phones to play Candy Crush and has little other purpose or use. I was really rooting for Oculus too. It's a shame. I expected someone would eventually buy them, but I sure wasn't expected this.

The one thing though, it's not a computer it's basically like a monitor so it's not like Facebook can force content onto it. And as long as it's a device for the PC it will be able to be used for uses other than what Facebook would want to use it for.

I'm picturing an Itunes type of model. FB is big on controlling information and that would be the best way to do it. They say that they don't expect to make any money on the hardware, so I'm sure the plan is to make up the loss through ad revenue and microtransactions. Basically, the way they operate now, just with VR. I don't like any of that, but my biggest concern is that they'll force a product out and cut corners to make a product that's cheap, but poor quality and doesn't have the capabilities to handle real gaming. It would bomb and then it's all over. If that happens, I can only hope that other companies are working hard on alternatives.

The concern would be whether they think it would be worth spending extra money on the features that gaming would take the most advantage of. There's still a lot of improvements that can be made if they want to spend the money--higher resolution screen, wireless, 120hz refresh rate, eye tracking, and AR (front mounted cameras). I think the most likely course of action is for them to integrate some actual processing hardware like make it into an Android device that's focused on Facebook but doesn't need to be plugged into a PC. In that situation it would be more similar to Google Glass.

The concern would be whether they think it would be worth spending extra money on the features that gaming would take the most advantage of. There's still a lot of improvements that can be made if they want to spend the money--higher resolution screen, wireless, 120hz refresh rate, eye tracking, and AR (front mounted cameras). I think the most likely course of action is for them to integrate some actual processing hardware like make it into an Android device that's focused on Facebook but doesn't need to be plugged into a PC. In that situation it would be more similar to Google Glass.

That is a likely direction they go I believe. I just don't know if it's the ONLY direction they go or not. They may go in two directions. One of a high end gaming VR set up and another a closed portable VR device. The latter being useless IMO. The problem being as you say, that the high end gaming set up being too niche for FB's taste. They may be forced to make all in one devices for the casual crowd and never be able to use all those new resources to make the Rift they joined FB to make.

I didn't forsee the OC ever coming in it's current state. It didn't seem like they were trying very hard to actually get the headsets in to the hands of consumers. At least now being owned by such a large company could result in this actually being released.

Back