And now the Poppies are up as well...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I haven't done a special Wednesday article in awhile, but I promise I'll get back to them with regularity soon. Let's start with a yearly favorite of mine - my picks for the Best and Worst of 2017! The Poppies and People's Picks voting wrapped up earlier this week, and I'm working on the results right now. Until then, check out my personal picks in this feature:

https://www.mwctoys.com/mwc-picks-2017.htm

Update - I've added the People's Picks tonight as well, and there's some seriously interesting surprises, at least to me. You can find them here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/peoples-picks-2017.htm

I'll be wrapping up the Poppies very soon!

Update 2 - I've completed the Poppies and the results are live!

https://www.mwctoys.com/poppies-2017.htm

Last edited:
Re: Captain Toys Picks for Best/Worst of 2017

Great read. The only 1/6 I bought last year were Threezero Hannibal and Big Chief Bond. I'm buying a lot of Diamond Select lately and I hope McFarlane don't drop the ball with Star Trek.

Re: Captain Toys Picks for Best/Worst of 2017

I'm guessing Star Ace is gonna find some of their Potter figures on the worst list next year too based on recent announcements.

Re: Now adding People's Picks! And Captain Toys Picks for Best/Worst of 2017

I'm surprised at the lack of love for TBLeague/Phicen... I don't own any of their figures, but in the female category, based on the pics/vid reviews I've seen, their 1/6 line is pretty impressive. Headsculpts aren't usually particularly noteworthy, but the bodies, costumes, tailoring, accessories, and bases seem pretty damn impressive.

I'm surprised at the lack of love for TBLeague/Phicen... I don't own any of their figures, but in the female category, based on the pics/vid reviews I've seen, their 1/6 line is pretty impressive. Headsculpts aren't usually particularly noteworthy, but the bodies, costumes, tailoring, accessories, and bases seem pretty damn impressive.

That’s because most people still have juvenile insecurity issues about buying overly sexualized “Barbies”. The HS they’ve been producing may not be HT level as far as paint apps, but they are generally better than anything else out there and go for higher prices when sold loose. And you’re right, the accessories and extras are top-notch, and with the best female bodies on the market, you’re getting more for your dollar than practically any other company out there.

BTW just saw your review of the Dr Strange medallion prop. I had to laugh cause it's probably more "high end" than the screen used prop. I saw it up and close at a Marvel exhibit in Tokyo last year...tons of screen used costumes from the movie. The Eye of Agamotto stood out to be cause I swear it was carved out of balsa wood!

Movie magic is a funny thing. I had the same reaction way back in 1998 when the Smithsonian first showed the Magic of Myth, all the Star Wars costumes, props, and **** models.

That box around Luke's x-wing fighter pilot outfit? Straight up balsa wood with some painted details. Crazy how different it looks on screen as opposed to inches from your face!

Back