Obtain art license

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agen_kolar

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Forgive me for posting this here if I should've put it elsewhere. I wasn't sure, so I decided this would work! (Mods please feel free to move if necessary.)

I'm wondering if/how is it possible to go about getting a license to produce artwork for a company, such as Lucasfilm. Is that even possible? I go to conventions and see all these artists selling stuff, Star Wars, Marvel, or whatever related, and wonder to myself - how do they do this? Is it legal? Did they get permission? How did they get permission? It never really occurred to me to ask them personally - or maybe I was just too afraid to do so.

Basically, I have been on a Star Wars art kick lately and was thinking that some of this is good enough to sell, but I'd like to keep what little I have and not get it all taken away from me from Uncle George and his legal team. Any advice?

TL;DR - I want a Star Wars art license, don't know how to get one. Help?

Thanks everyone! :peace

Legal - Contact LucusFilms and ask how to obtain the rights to sell officially licensed merchandise.

Illegal - Do like everyone else, just sell that ish. You think anyone on here has a license for all the custom stuff they peddle? Or even at conventions? Nope.

I've heard it's difficult to get approved by LucusFilms and that they like full control. Meaning if they don't like your artwork - they will force you to change it until they approve it.

I suggest sending a PM to Jerry Vanderstelt. Known here as Dutchart. Very nice guy and he has done some amazing SW artwork.

1. Give everything you own to George Lucas.

2. Lucas dresses you in your new dog collar and licks you clean.

3. Realise you are working with Satan himself to undermine all that is good and kill yourself like Keanu in Devil's Advocate.

4. Be remembered as a talented artist with an offically licensed LFL funeral featuring a 21 Clone Trooper gun salute.

they might reject you and if they liked something you did do it themselves lol

I was told by a comic shop many years ago that if it is original art it is ok, but you cannot sell copies legally without permission. If you do, it is illegal, and the company who owns the character can come after you. Send Lucasfilm pics of your art, and if they like it, you will negotiate a deal with them as to how much it will sell for and what their cut will be.

Last edited:
You won't get a license to do star wars artwork.

contact Acme Archives, they have the license to produce artwork for star wars.

It's my understanding that single commissions are OK without license but anytime you make more than one you would need a license.

Back