Obi Wan Kenobi, LSB

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to see them tackle more human characters with this line. Can't wait for Leia.

Qui-Gon is my top choice for the PT.

I just can't see the likeness if any of the photos. I'm trying really hard and Obi-Wan is one of my favoirte characters but this will never do it for me. I'm still highly disappointed in this piece. SS had stepped it up over the past couple years but not on this one.

Really? I thought it had a pretty decent hint before but after seeing it at the Con and I think the photos proove its pretty damn spot on.

It looks absolutely nothing like Alec Guinness in any of the photos.

Sorry man but you are as incorrect on this as can be.

I guess all the other people who think the same must be incorrect as well then? :dunno

Look, if this was an amateur sculpt I'd be saying "Amazing! Well done!", but that's all it looks like - an amateur attempt at a likeness. It really is just any old grey bearded man. Ostensibly all of the components are in place, but that twinkle in the eye that Guinness had is entirely absent, and the proportions are just off enough in every feature to make it look wrong as a whole.

The sculpt was based on a beardless Guinness from a 70s movie according to the BSP. He does seem to change appearance from movie to movie. In ANH his face looks fuller, not as gaunt as in other movies. Another thing is his beard should have looked more scraggly as it looks in ANH.

I guess all the other people who think the same must be incorrect as well then? :dunno

Yes, I think they are.

Look, if this was an amateur sculpt I'd be saying "Amazing! Well done!", but that's all it looks like - an amateur attempt at a likeness. It really is just any old grey bearded man. Ostensibly all of the components are in place, but that twinkle in the eye that Guinness had is entirely absent, and the proportions are just off enough in every feature to make it look wrong as a whole.

Well, I got a chance to see it in peson for four days. Its about as dead on as anyone who has done on Obi-Wan. I think a lot of folks who don't see it are trying to convince themselves so they don't buy it. :lol

The sculpt was based on a beardless Guinness from a 70s movie according to the BSP. He does seem to change appearance from movie to movie. In ANH his face looks fuller, not as gaunt as in other movies. Another thing is his beard should have looked more scraggly as it looks in ANH.

Pretty hard to replicate his beard style with sculpting.

As for using the other facial references, while it's a good idea to make sure even the underlying features behind facial hair are right, it can be tricky if the reference you use isn't a match to the bearded features, or if you try to take the non-beard features and make assumption how they'd be under the beard matching what you can see.

Well personally I don't think the new pictures improve the likeness enough for me to even consider getting this. I won't say it's rubbish because it not, buy it's also a long way from being "dead on." With a piece like this, the likeness is all there is. It's not like a figure or full-body statue where it's only part of the package.

Well personally I don't think the new pictures improve the likeness enough for me to even consider getting this. I won't say it's rubbish because it not, buy it's also a long way from being "dead on." With a piece like this, the likeness is all there is. It's not like a figure or full-body statue where it's only part of the package.

:exactly: Pretty much 100% how I feel.

It's a nice piece, but simply doesn't look enough like Sir Alec to me. It's another "character interpretation", I guess. The 1:6 figure looks immeasurably more like Guinness.

I'm happy with this, now hopefully we get an Ewan Obi-Wan to counter it, if we only get one, I'd like it to be ROTS to see the connection between the two actors.

IMHO, this bust is the connection between the two actors. :lol

My friend who was looking at it at the Sideshow SDCC booth said, "That's looks cool. But it looks more like Ewan McGregor wearing Alec Guinness prosthetics for a reshoot... like that guy who played Tarkin in Episode III... than it does Guinness himself." And then I looked at it... and I agreed that's exactly what it looks like to me. An amalgam between the two. I don't know if that's what Mat and the Creative Team were going for... and it is a nice piece regardless... but it just doesn't quite look like a 1:2 scale Alec Guinness. As I said, the 1:6 figure has a better likeness.

But to those who do like it and ordered it, enjoy! :duff I like that they're doing human characters in this format.

Back